Who will come back?

lukeneyland

God Save the Heup
I think everyone aside from Derkay is eligible to come back if they were so inclined. Who do y’all think comes back? I think Ferguson could probably be drafted pretty highly, as well as Rucker so I could unfortunately see them going. Spence is sorta interesting, contact hitters aren’t exact in vogue right now in the majors, but he’s got a great glove and seems to always put in competitive at bats. I honestly could seem him working his way to the majors one day, but he seems somewhat of a dark horse in my opinion, which might make him staying more probable. I think Chad Dallas and Russel have the most to gain by staying. I don’t think Russel will be drafted and I think Dallas is liable to put it all together and that could lead to him being considerably more hyped next season, which means higher signing bonus. Interested to know what y’all think might happen. I’ve never been so enthusiastic about something like this except for our football team.

I think everyone aside from Derkay is eligible to come back if they were so inclined. Who do y’all think comes back? I think Ferguson could probably be drafted pretty highly, as well as Rucker so I could unfortunately see them going. Spence is sorta interesting, contact hitters aren’t exact in vogue right now in the majors, but he’s got a great glove and seems to always put in competitive at bats. I honestly could seem him working his way to the majors one day, but he seems somewhat of a dark horse in my opinion, which might make him staying more probable. I think Chad Dallas and Russel have the most to gain by staying. I don’t think Russel will be drafted and I think Dallas is liable to put it all together and that could lead to him being considerably more hyped next season, which means higher signing bonus. Interested to know what y’all think might happen. I’ve never been so enthusiastic about something like this except for our football team.
Since we are only allowed 11.7 scholarships, how does holding over players affect that?

I’m not sure 🤔. Hoping some of the more experienced baseball guys might know
With basketball and football, it seems a little more cut and dry because scholarships and roster spots are 1 for 1. For baseball, it would seem like it could get murky.

It is my uniformed opinion that baseball players are on more scholarships than just their athletic scholarship. I would imagine that any high quality player who wants to stay and play baseball has a 'full' ride, even if they do not have a 'full' baseball scholarship.

If they are Juniors, they are draft eligible. They will never have more leverage than they do now, so for those guys, it’s gonna depend on where they go in the draft.

The seniors, because of the COVID extra year deal, it’s more complicated this year. The honest answer is we’re gonna have to wait and see how the draft works out for them.

If I am speculating, I think we’ll see some come back that we might not in a normal year.

GBO!!!

It is my uniformed opinion that baseball players are on more scholarships than just their athletic scholarship. I would imagine that any high quality player who wants to stay and play baseball has a 'full' ride, even if they do not have a 'full' baseball scholarship.

I posted this back in 2018 after doing some research……..not about to do it again

along with the 11.7, these also help..........

Disclaimer, I have no idea the $$ amount, some probably small and others maybe a little larger.

Brodie
Recipient of the BB&T Athletic Scholarship Endowment
Recipient of the Ed & Marsha Hooper Athletic Scholarship

Jay Charleston
Recipient of the Viar Family Athletic Scholarship
Recipient of the J. Milton Stockman Scholarship Fund

Zach Daniels
Recipient of the East Tennessee Nissan Athletic Scholarship Endowment

Chinea
Recipient of the David & Patti Wilder Scholarship
Recipient of the J Steven Maples Endowment Fund

Ammo
Recipient of the Charles A. Carpenter Family Athletic Scholarship
Recipient of the Jeff Neely Scholarship Fund

Derkay
Recipient of the Hinkle & Mincey Athletic Scholarship Endowment
Recipient of the Harrison Construction Athletic Endowment

Heflin
Recipient of the Michael Chadwell Welch Memorial Scholarship
Recipient of the Gerdau Ameristeel Men's Athletic Endowed Scholarship

Stapp

A-Lip
Recipient of the James W. Robinson Scholarship Endowment
Recipient of the Catherine & Paul Mountcastle Scholarship Fund
Recipient of the Donald R. Carson Volunteer Family Scholarship

Nick Woods
Recipient of the Champe Summerson Hyatt Athletic Scholarship Fund

Neely
Recipient of the Thomas & Linda Hodgkiss Athletic Endowment

Darling

Wallace

Benoit

Lingo
Recipient of the Joyce & Robert Bice Athletic Scholarship Endowment
Recipient of the M/M Cecil E. Richards Athletic Scholarship Fund

Tram

Stallings
Recipient of the Betty Lawson Copeland Baseball Scholarship Fund
Recipient of the Ron Lawson Baseball Scholarship Fund
Recipient of the Ambrister Family Athletic Scholarship Endowment
Recipient of the Hattie Ogle McGriffin Athletic Scholarship

Vasquez
Recipient of the Alma & Hal Reagan Scholarship Endowment

Schultz
Carroll/Diane Sasser Endowment
Recipient of the Carroll/Diane Sasser Endowment

Benny
Recipient of the Paul & Catherine Mountcastle Scholarship Fund

Crochet
Recipient of the Capps Athletic Endowment

I would be surprised if Dallas is back. Was told he’s a decent prospect, probably as a long reliever.

I posted this back in 2018 after doing some research……..not about to do it again

along with the 11.7, these also help..........

Disclaimer, I have no idea the $$ amount, some probably small and others maybe a little larger.

Brodie

Jay Charleston
Recipient of the Viar Family Athletic Scholarship

Zach Daniels

Chinea
Recipient of the David & Patti Wilder Scholarship
Recipient of the J Steven Maples Endowment Fund

Ammo
Recipient of the Jeff Neely Scholarship Fund

Derkay
Recipient of the Harrison Construction Athletic Endowment

Heflin
Recipient of the Michael Chadwell Welch Memorial Scholarship

Stapp

A-Lip
Recipient of the James W. Robinson Scholarship Endowment
Recipient of the Donald R. Carson Volunteer Family Scholarship

Nick Woods

Neely
Recipient of the Thomas & Linda Hodgkiss Athletic Endowment

Darling

Wallace

Benoit

Lingo

Tram

Stallings
Recipient of the Ambrister Family Athletic Scholarship Endowment

Vasquez
Recipient of the Alma & Hal Reagan Scholarship Endowment

Schultz
Carroll/Diane Sasser Endowment

Benny
Recipient of the Paul & Catherine Mountcastle Scholarship Fund

Crochet
Recipient of the Capps Athletic Endowment
Thank you for that information. I never dreamed it took all of that financial aid to make a baseball team function. I understood they need money for their education, I just never realized how many options they had. Thanks again.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
If they are Juniors, they are draft eligible. They will never have more leverage than they do now, so for those guys, it’s gonna depend on where they go in the draft.

The seniors, because of the COVID extra year deal, it’s more complicated this year. The honest answer is we’re gonna have to wait and see how the draft works out for them.

If I am speculating, I think we’ll see some come back that we might not in a normal year.

GBO!!!

Exactly! If you're drafted as a Junior, it would be highly unlikely that you'd improve that status as a Senior. For one, MLB teams know that the Seniors don't have any other options. They'll take Juniors, Jucos and HS players in front of them all day knowing they can get them for less money later in the draft. At least pre-Covid. Not sure how Covid years will affect players draftability and Seniors that can return for another 'Senior' year could be in the same boat as Juniors.

Exactly! If you're drafted as a Junior, it would be highly unlikely that you'd improve that status as a Senior. For one, MLB teams know that the Seniors don't have any other options. They'll take Juniors, Jucos and HS players in front of them all day knowing they can get them for less money later in the draft. At least pre-Covid. Not sure how Covid years will affect players draftability and Seniors that can return for another 'Senior' year could be in the same boat as Juniors.

But this year's seniors have an extra year of eligibility if they want it, correct? And of course this year's juniors have two years of eligibility remaining. That's the covid effect. It may be the teams have no leverage on seniors. Plus, since they only had five rounds last year, there should be a glut of those available from colleges, i.e - last year's juniors and seniors who weren't drafted, and this year's juniors and seniors.

Let's see: 32 30 teams x 20 rounds = 640 600 draft positions available. About a quarter of those are typically going to HS grads, so 480 450 draft slots for college players. Don't forget there are fewer minor league teams now than last year's draft, too.

(Edited via strikethroughs)

Last edited:
Reactions: dale1998
2021 MLB Draft - Top 500 Prospects — Prospects Live

Top 500 MLB Prospects

5. Brady House (Commit)
79. Chase Burns (Commit)
120. Ryan Spikes (Commit)
145. Jake Rucker = Late 4th Round
150. Max Ferguson = Early 5th Round
167. Liam Spence = Mid 5th Round
171. Christian Moore (Commit)
206. Chad Dallas = Late 6th Round
269. Jackson Leath = Late 8th Round
296. Connor Pavolony = Lath 9th Round

There's 30 Teams in MLB

2021 MLB Draft - Top 500 Prospects — Prospects Live

Top 500 MLB Prospects

5. Brady House (Commit)
79. Chase Burns (Commit)
120. Ryan Spikes (Commit)
145. Jake Rucker = Late 4th Round
150. Max Ferguson = Early 5th Round
167. Liam Spence = Mid 5th Round
171. Christian Moore (Commit)
206. Chad Dallas = Late 6th Round
269. Jackson Leath = Late 8th Round
296. Connor Pavolony = Lath 9th Round

There's 30 Teams in MLB

Burns at 79 would make 780K signing bonus
Max at 150 would make 357K
Moore would make 294K
Chad - 220K
Leath - 154K
Conner - 146K

House is gone at #5 - 6.2 million

Burns might think he will make a lot more money in a future draft if he goes to school now. But that's a lot of money to turn down now. So might Moore.

I could see Max and Leath thinking they could get a lot more in next year's draft, and return to school for one more season, maybe even Chad and Pav.

If a high school player signs with a college they will not become draft eligible until they are a junior, correct?
That would also weigh in on the decision making process as to whether $250K plus is a lot of money.

Burns at 79 would make 780K signing bonus
Max at 150 would make 357K
Moore would make 294K
Chad - 220K
Leath - 154K
Conner - 146K

House is gone at #5 - 6.2 million

Burns might think he will make a lot more money in a future draft if he goes to school now. But that's a lot of money to turn down now. So might Moore.

I could see Max and Leath thinking they could get a lot more in next year's draft, and return to school for one more season, maybe even Chad and Pav.

At the fan appreciation event Max was offering his gear to young fans because he won't need it anymore, suggesting his mind's made up, unless I was misinterpreting

Coming back for a senior year usually screws you in terms of signing bonus. I expect most who can go will.

If a high school player signs with a college they will not become draft eligible until they are a junior, correct?
That would also weigh in on the decision making process as to whether $250K plus is a lot of money.

Unless he turns 21 before the draft. For example Tidwell can leave after next year for that reason.

VN Store

Back