Who was a pleasant surprise for you?

Eric Grey ... not for the way he ran necessarily (which was good) but for the way he handled himself in pass protection, his pass blocking was more than proficient and he hung in there and gave as good as he got. He's come a long way in that department. I was glad and proud for him.

Eric Grey ... not for the way he ran necessarily (which was good) but for the way he handled himself in pass protection, his pass blocking was more than proficient and he hung in there and gave as good as he got. He's come a long way in that department. I was glad and proud for him.
He is truly blessed with that hybrid stutter step/pivot step/side step, whatever you call it - 'Juke Move' he has. It can't be taught.

It seems like he pulls it off innately coming though holes or around the edge into the 2nd level, but he can't pull it off at full speed. He seems to slow down trying to do too much occasionally anyway.

The way his fundamentals are improving though ..... I can see us getting an idea of what Kamara as the feature back with a real SEC OL would have looked like.

Most yall know I have never been a big Chaney fan. However, personally I thought he mixed the pass and run fairly well. I agree with many of yall that with our superior o line we may should have run the ball more than we did. We could have demolished their d line more in the first half had we ran the ball more. JMO

Reactions: Volunteer08
I thought Princeton Fant had a decent game. That was a position I was really worried about...still am actually.
GBO!!

Reactions: Remy
Keyton, Velus Jones, both looked great on offense, I was not expecting that. Elijah Simmons played well when he was in, fell on that fumble and then rolled on his side and their OL took it away from him. Bet he never makes that mistake again.
I thought his belly knocked the ball out when he fell on it?

I can’t name just one player. The pass rush was the biggest surprise to me. I figured we’d have a decent pass rush, but I expected it to come from exotic blitzes. Instead, Deandre Johnson was a terror. Tyler Baron and Kivon Bennet flashed, as well.

Velus Jones will have impact when the staff finds a better way to get him the ball, besides an obvious jet sweep. He looked ordinary on his routes.
Chandler looked much stronger to me than previous years.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
DeAndre Johnson and Tyler Baron on defense. Brandon Johnson on offense.

Bryce Thompson and Alontae Taylor again proved to me that they are the best corner tandem in college football. Hopefully we'll get some guys up to speed at safety so Bryce can stay down low. Was nice to see Elijah Simmons showcase his ability. Darnell Wright had some mean moments but needs to find someone to block in open space. JG seemed to make all the right decisions, that was nice. He's never been a sharp passer but he's more accurate than he was Saturday. He could have a decent season if he continues to protect the ball.

Had some good moments. Also saw him get burned by Shi Smith numerous times, but that’s expected of a true freshman especially on a year like this.
Slaughter was playing out of position. He's not a CB he is a safety. Dude is jacked and can run. Smith got him on quickness most of the night. Freshman covering their best receiver!

To'o To'o's pick six. Without it, the Vols do not win in Columbia. USC's offense outscored UT's offense, 27-24. No defensive TD, no victory.

Noted: JG is still making mistakes in those moments when it matters most. His unfathomable bad throws came on third downs and/or in the red zone. At least three times in the game, JG singlehandedly killed Tennessee drives - no pressure, no outstanding defensive play, just bad throws at clutch moments.

I thought his belly knocked the ball out when he fell on it?
Hah! That’s what we said too. Did anyone see that play where he came swooping in like a dang plus-size super hero? I’ve never seen a big guy move that fast with that kind of agility. I can’t find the clip anywhere but he covered way more ground than a guy his size should that quickly. Sounds like McCullers 2.0 with more upside, which is scary to think about.

To'o To'o's pick six. Without it, the Vols do not win in Columbia. USC's offense outscored UT's offense, 27-24. No defensive TD, no victory.

Noted: JG is still making mistakes in those moments when it matters most. His unfathomable bad throws came on third downs and/or in the red zone. At least three times in the game, JG singlehandedly killed Tennessee drives - no pressure, no outstanding defensive play, just bad throws at clutch moments.
Again with the JG. He was great on 3rd down LY, one of the best (I know he had JJ, but he had to get JJ the ball too) in the SEC. You didn’t stop the hatred then. I think he’ll figure it out. He completed passes to 8 different targets, 8! That’s a good number and bodes very well for our whole offense. Once our possession guy emerges (likely be Johnson or Palmer), we’ll be good on 3rd again. And then you’ll have to find something else to dislike about him. What will it be then?

Again with the JG. He was great on 3rd down LY, one of the best (I know he had JJ, but he had to get JJ the ball too) in the SEC. You didn’t stop the hatred then. I think he’ll figure it out. He completed passes to 8 different targets, 8! That’s a good number and bodes very well for our whole offense. Once our possession guy emerges (likely be Johnson or Palmer), we’ll be good on 3rd again. And then you’ll have to find something else to dislike about him. What will it be then?

I am not among the frequent complainers about JG, so your "pounce" is on the wrong target. My critique is directly related to my point - no defensive score, no victory.

Baron might be a star in the making 2 TFLs in his first game is exceptional.
Moves better than one would think for that size. There’s been some thinking that he’s destined for the DL. Might just be the prototype for an edge if we keep getting more of this.

Reactions: VOLED
Tennessee was 1-12 on 3rd downs. I think you are misconstruing facts that you don’t like for hate....

Reactions: Remy
The WRs, ILB next to Henry, and our pass rush. Those were my 3 biggest worries going into the season. After game 1 I'm feeling much better about all 3. Plenty of room to get better and I realized this is only 1 game.

BJ, Palmer, Keyton was open throughout the game with only 1 drop pass (big drop tho). VJ looked good as well.

Crouch didn't have his best game but Banks was very active and impressed me last night. Obviously can't have those personal fouls penalties but I think we may be in good hands with both young guys beside Henry T.

DJ had the game of his life and Bennett had multiple pressures. If we can consistently rush the passer our defense will be really good. The secondary will be better once we get everybody back, no worries at this point. LBs have to be better in coverage but we need to make sure we don't get caught with OLBs matched up with WRs.
It’s funny that we call ILB’s beside Henry T “young guys”. 😏

VN Store

Back