Who wants to take a shot at the offense depth chart?

Of course I agree that the QB doesnt have to be mobile and he'll choose the one that can process and make decisions. I respect any prediction that has Bailey as the starter. But in my opinion, I believe such a prediction assumes HB alters the way he's used to playing the position and he does it quickly.

My prediction is more based on the type of ball thrown/passer that Bailey was last season compared to what I've seen from Hooker and Maurer. Both HH and BM have much quicker releases with much more velocity on intermediate routes than HB. I know he's had different types of QB's, but HB's skill set is less similiar to Dillon Gabriel's than the other two.

Sure, we could see a different HB, but if we assume that happens quickly, it also shouldnt be out of the realm of possibility that Heupel is able to fix Maurer's decision making. I think what we all want is Bailey's awareness/cerebrality and Maurer's playmaking ability.
Good post. Very logical

Reactions: keenobserver
Of course I agree that the QB doesnt have to be mobile and he'll choose the one that can process and make decisions. I respect any prediction that has Bailey as the starter. But in my opinion, I believe such a prediction assumes HB alters the way he's used to playing the position and he does it quickly.

My prediction is more based on the type of ball thrown/passer that Bailey was last season compared to what I've seen from Hooker and Maurer. Both HH and BM have much quicker releases with much more velocity on intermediate routes than HB. I know he's had different types of QB's, but HB's skill set is less similiar to Dillon Gabriel's than the other two.

Sure, we could see a different HB, but if we assume that happens quickly, it also shouldnt be out of the realm of possibility that Heupel is able to fix Maurer's decision making. I think what we all want is Bailey's awareness/cerebrality and Maurer's playmaking ability.
In my opinion Salter wont see the field at all this year. He honestly needs a year in the weight room. That makes it a 3 man race. HH will go as far as his arm will take him. I havent seen him consistently make intermediate throws. All I saw was 50/50 balls. To me he has to show that he can actually throw consistently. They didnt have great results when he threw 40+ times, I think his experience makes him QB2. That leaves BM & HB who both come from up tempo high school offenses. U saw a quicker release from BM bc they ran plays that fit his skillset when he came in. HB had to run our base offense and actually go threw progressions. The problem with BM is turnovers & durability. Those are huge problems. I would put my money on HB. He is the prototype QB. CJH can actually mold this kid into a monster.

If Keyton doesn’t drop the ball. Him Hyatt and Calloway are going to have a crazy season. Our roster is primed to succeed in this type of system.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
In my opinion Salter wont see the field at all this year. He honestly needs a year in the weight room. That makes it a 3 man race. HH will go as far as his arm will take him. I havent seen him consistently make intermediate throws. All I saw was 50/50 balls. To me he has to show that he can actually throw consistently. They didnt have great results when he threw 40+ times, I think his experience makes him QB2. That leaves BM & HB who both come from up tempo high school offenses. U saw a quicker release from BM bc they ran plays that fit his skillset when he came in. HB had to run our base offense and actually go threw progressions. The problem with BM is turnovers & durability. Those are huge problems. I would put my money on HB. He is the prototype QB. CJH can actually mold this kid into a monster.
I’m leaning towards HB. You have to be able to make the throws. I haven’t seen these others guys throw but BM is a gunslinger. You need a lot of velocity + touch to do what Heupel wants

Honestly....I think that doing a depth chart right now is pointless. And I don't say that insultingly, I say that because I am expecting this staff is going to hit the transfer market hard this summer, and our team may look different. With the loss of Brown, Gooch and Brooks, I am pretty certain we get those spots back, and we can use them on transfers, which will especially be helpful if the one time transfer rule ever passes.

I could see our staff going after a lot of transfers after the spring.
I agree. The grad transfer market is the way to go. Provides immediate help. One more thing, glad players that aren't up to the challenge and aren't committed to our university are leaving. Good riddance.

Reactions: TNHopeful505
QB- Harrison Bailey (Fr.), Kaidon Salter (Fr.), Herndon Hooker (Jr,), Brian Maurer (So.)

RB- Tiyon Evans (So.), Jabari Small (Fr.), Carlin Fils-Aime (RSSr.), Dee Beckwith (Fr.), Jaylen Wright (Fr.), Tee Hodge (Fr.)

WR- Jalin Hyatt (Fr.), Malachi Wideman (Fr.), Jimmy Holiday (Fr.), Cedric Tillman (RSSo.)

WR- Ramel Keyton (So.), Jimmy Calloway (Fr.), Andison Coby (So.), Julian Nixon (Fr.), Kenney Solomon (RSFr.)

WR- Velus Jones (Sr.), DeAngelo Gibbs (RSJr.), Walker Merrill (Fr.)

TE/H- Austin Pope (St.), Princeton Fant (RSJr.), Trinity Bell (Fr.)

TE- Jacob Warren (RSSo.), Miles Campbell (Fr.), Sean Brown (RSFr.)

RT- Darnell Wright (So.), K’Rojhn Calbert (RSJr.), William Parker (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Fr.), Kingston Harris (RSSo.), Chris Akporoghene (RSFr.)

C- Cooper Mays (Fr.), Jackson Lampley (RSFr.)

LG- Jerome Carvin (Jr.), Riley Locklear (Sr.), James Robinson (Fr.), Oliver Lane (RSSo.)

LT- Cade Mays (Jr.), Jeremiah Crawford (So.), Reginald Perry (Fr.)

That's actually a pretty good starting OL. Not much proven depth though.

A qbs release is the time it takes from load to release. Not how long a play takes to develop or progression. When Maurer pulls the trigger his release is night and day faster than Bailey and I’m pretty sure that’s what @keenobserver is referencing.

If Keyton doesn’t drop the ball. Him Hyatt and Calloway are going to have a crazy season. Our roster is primed to succeed in this type of system.
Keyton lacks grit.
Lacks focus.
Tillman is a better WR right now.

Trinity Bell will probably redshirt as he had a pretty significant knee injury...love his upside. Hope he rehabs well.

Reactions: keenobserver
Who’s on First
What’s on Second
He’s on Third
Or something similar

JG at QB?

Reactions: NEO
QB- Harrison Bailey (Fr.), Kaidon Salter (Fr.), Herndon Hooker (Jr,), Brian Maurer (So.)

RB- Tiyon Evans (So.), Jabari Small (Fr.), Carlin Fils-Aime (RSSr.), Dee Beckwith (Fr.), Jaylen Wright (Fr.), Tee Hodge (Fr.)

WR- Jalin Hyatt (Fr.), Malachi Wideman (Fr.), Jimmy Holiday (Fr.), Cedric Tillman (RSSo.)

WR- Ramel Keyton (So.), Jimmy Calloway (Fr.), Andison Coby (So.), Julian Nixon (Fr.), Kenney Solomon (RSFr.)

WR- Velus Jones (Sr.), DeAngelo Gibbs (RSJr.), Walker Merrill (Fr.)

TE/H- Austin Pope (St.), Princeton Fant (RSJr.), Trinity Bell (Fr.)

TE- Jacob Warren (RSSo.), Miles Campbell (Fr.), Sean Brown (RSFr.)

RT- Darnell Wright (So.), K’Rojhn Calbert (RSJr.), William Parker (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Fr.), Kingston Harris (RSSo.), Chris Akporoghene (RSFr.)

C- Cooper Mays (Fr.), Jackson Lampley (RSFr.)

LG- Jerome Carvin (Jr.), Riley Locklear (Sr.), James Robinson (Fr.), Oliver Lane (RSSo.)

LT- Cade Mays (Jr.), Jeremiah Crawford (So.), Reginald Perry (Fr.)

-Is Keyton returning, didn't he quit the team last year?
-I will be shocked if Gibbs ever plays a snap for the Vols
-Jimmy Holiday to CB
-Beckwith to TE
-Bell to DE (ACL Redshirt in 2021)
-Calbert starts somewhere on the Line

Reactions: Sarms58
Anybody think locklear can play LT. I think a line of Locklear Mays Carvin Wright Calbert would be pretty good

-Is Keyton returning, didn't he quit the team last year?
-I will be shocked if Gibbs ever plays a snap for the Vols
-Jimmy Holiday to CB
-Beckwith to TE
-Bell to DE (ACL Redshirt in 2021)
-Calbert starts somewhere on the Line

-I was predicting Holiday to CB too. With the last staff. But with this one, I think he might stick at WR. He seems to be the type of WR body type they like.
-I think we’ll see Beckwith all over the field. We finally have an offensive coaching staff with the creativity to utilize a talent like him in various spots.
-You may be right about Bell, but I hope he gets a shot at TE. A 6-7 athlete like that could be a real weapon, like Kyle Pitts at Florida.

I’m leaning towards HB. You have to be able to make the throws. I haven’t seen these others guys throw but BM is a gunslinger. You need a lot of velocity + touch to do what Heupel wants
I think you & I see things the exact same way. Thats why i think its BM vs HB. I just get the feeling that those 2 are the best fits for CJH right now. I think Salter is going to be a baller but more down the road. If i were a betting man, my money would go on HB. He takes care of the ball better then BM and is more durable.

Reactions: Bubbs
I think Mays will get forced into playing tackle even though he’s not ideal for it.
We badly need an average starting LT from the transfer market somewhere. It'll make or break this OL. Mays is no LT or even RT for that matter. I'd love to see:

LT - TBD
LG - Calbert
C - Mays
RG - Mays
RT - Darnell

Spraggins first one off the bench. Those starting 4 should be serviceable enough. To me, it felt like we had an overall decent OL year in the run game given the lack of a passing game most of the season.

I agree with your entire depth chart. Honestly looking at it on paper we are young & inexperienced but there is alot of talent. By my count thats 19 players with at least 4 star talent. Now if we can just coach them up to their potential we may have something.
Only thing I think will be different is Calbert may start on the oline, & I think BM will be qb2 or qb3.
I think people have given up on BM to quick. His style of play fits perfectly into this offensive scheme if he can stay healthy and his mental state is right.

Reactions: jarnol32
A qbs release is the time it takes from load to release. Not how long a play takes to develop or progression. When Maurer pulls the trigger his release is night and day faster than Bailey and I’m pretty sure that’s what @keenobserver is referencing.
Do you think your guy Maurer is locked in right now and pretty focused on football?

Reactions: 901 Orange
We badly need an average starting LT from the transfer market somewhere. It'll make or break this OL. Mays is no LT or even RT for that matter. I'd love to see:

LT - TBD
LG - Calbert
C - Mays
RG - Mays
RT - Darnell

Spraggins first one off the bench. Those starting 4 should be serviceable enough. To me, it felt like we had an overall decent OL year in the run game given the lack of a passing game most of the season.
Calbert is a tackle, so not sure why you have him at guard. CJH signed a juco OT. Plus, Carvin is without question one of the top 5 OL.

Calbert
Carvin
Mays
Mays
Wright

That’s a pretty solid Oline.

Reactions: bigorange6469

VN Store

Back