Who Wants To Fire Butch?

Who Wants Butch Fired?

• Total voters
I don't want him fired. My biggest concern is that he may be loyal to a fault, and someone on his staff will have him in hot water after next year.

I have to admit that is a concern of mine as well. I worry that his staff is so close on a personal level that he may be hesitant to cut loose any that might end up deadweight.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't want him fired. My biggest concern is that he may be loyal to a fault, and someone on his staff will have him in hot water after next year.

If the offense or defense look like hot garbage next year, I will agree with you. And I think he will make a change.

There's no reason that either unit should be below middle of the pack in the SEC, freshmen and all.

I knew that this was a risk, true. The thing is people need to learn a happy middle. You can still support someone and be critical. If I raised my children with the same mentality that some support Butch...
I don't even want to think about it.

Well, I actually want to know the same thing...I've seen a lot of folks refer to "other posters" who have called for his firing, but I've never actually seen one. The only one I can think of ended in an apology by OP saying he was drunk. Regarding it being a "risky" thread...that may have been an overreaction. It's just you know how some people will read only the title and not even read the post. The title almost insinuates that you do in fact want him fired. Maybe it's just me.

I sincerely weep for our fan base if anyone wants to fire Butch Jones. I wouldn't make any changes to staff yet.

It's way to early to fire him and I believe he deserves at least 3 years. However, I will continue to watch our team without orange tinted glasses. We can talk about not having athletes and playmakers but I'm still not sold on the coordinators at this point. Even with our schedule next year I still expect some competive improvement. I know they can recruit but I'm anxious to see those recruits coached up.

I have to admit that is a concern of mine as well. I worry that his staff is so close on a personal level that he may be hesitant to cut loose any that might end up deadweight.

that was one of Fulmer's biggest issues imo. In a weight, it speaks to their character, but it also is concerning when they won't make changes when they are clearly needed. I would take loyalty to a fault over a coach who always make his coaches scapegoats.

I'll admit I got a little defensive with my support this team or get out thread. But I'm pretty sure I never accused anyone of wanting to fire Butch.

My problem with the fan base are the meltdowns after a tough loss. People go crazy with there thoughts on why we lost or what we should have done.

I honestly think this team has some serious lack of speed on defense, no play makers on offense, and they're just now learning how to work.

People react like this team was supposed to be a 10 win team. Going in to the season I thought at best we could win 7 games. I just think we should remember this will take some time to fix.

Reactions: 1 person
No sane person is calling for CBJ to be fired at this point, but to listen to the self appointed defenders of the program that freely throw out the unwarranted and ignorant term negavol you would think that 75% of the fan base is calling for his resignation.

Well, I actually want to know the same thing...I've seen a lot of folks refer to "other posters" who have called for his firing, but I've never actually seen one. The only one I can think of ended in an apology by OP saying he was drunk. Regarding it being a "risky" thread...that may have been an overreaction. It's just you know how some people will read only the title and not even read the post. The title almost insinuates that you do in fact want him fired. Maybe it's just me.

Well, I am guilty and have done my time for drunk posting. Just ask Freak! Lol
I hope that the ones that just read the title, overreact, and click on the thread take the time to read and realize that we are all on the same page. We just might go about it differently.

Last edited:

If Butch's job depends on it, he'll get rid of them. He said this is his dream job and I know he doesn't want to lose it over a friendship with a couple coaches.

Definitely not this off season, though.

Well, I am guilty and have done my time for drunk posting. Just ask Freak! Lol
I hope that the ones that just read the title, overreact, and click on the thread take the time to read and realize that we are all on the same page. We just might go about it differently.

I've done my time for drunk posting too, 10 days, ask Freak. Learned my lesson.

Great thread Doyle. Good to see people are keeping it civil too.

2015 is the year I have had in mind all along. Not saying that it is time to talk firing then either, but that is the year when we should start seeing some really big results. I'm not sure next year is going to be a whole lot better than this year. Should be better, but how much is the question. We are going to have a very young team next year. My hope is that they surprise me and stomp some asses that they are not suppose to.

Buuut, after next year if we are 4-8, or 5-7, you won't be asking him to be fired, But you will seriously question his coaching abilities, and not wait till year 3? Yes/no.

If there is not significant improvement after next season I'm saying yeah, fire him! Regardless of the situation he inherited this season has been awful!

Let the letters dry on his new mailbox, plus let this recruiting class get here and then by this time next year everybody on here will say I told you so, next year is going to be hard but at least 7 and 5 or 8 and 4, now with the 7 some will say that's not enough, but with the schedule we could go 7 and 5 and be a good football team, in 15 is when we will be kicking at the 10 wins in a season, we just got to hang in there in my young days laid a few bricks sometimes we had to tear a piece of the wall down before we got it right but in the end it was a h#ll of a wall.

Most sane people will feel the same as you. My point is just because someone has an issue with something the staff does or does not do, does not automatically mean they want heads to roll immediately.

And to your point I think most sane people understand that....most have a problem with people crying about stuff that WE ALL KNEW WAS A PROBLEM GOING INTO THE SEASON...We just want our fan base to act and discuss intelligently...not like third grade girls over the color of their notebooks...its hard for folks who know a little about the sport to sit and read (I usually dont) silly stuff and not putting things into perspective...I think thats the main issue...

I think we got a very good coach but I think its atleast going to take him 4 to 5 yrs to get this mess cleaned up. The last thing TN needs is to be looking for a new coach after next yr. Butch is trying to give us something we haven't had in a long time Stability in our program. GO VOLS!

You can't keep a coach around for just the sake of stability, s*** people. If someone can't show clear signs of significant improvement by year 3 at a program like this, then hit the road. By your logic, we should have kept Dooley around just for stability. There is no way in hell it should take 5 years to "clean this mess up".

You can't keep a coach around for just the sake of stability, s*** people. If someone can't show clear signs of significant improvement by year 3 at a program like this, then hit the road. By your logic, we should have kept Dooley around just for stability. There is no way in hell it should take 5 years to "clean this mess up".

Unlike, I am sure some, I can see your logic. If by year three, we are still just scraping out five wins, then that would be a major red flag imo. Everyone likes to point to depth as an issue and it really is right now. So, is it not fair to say that by year three with two full recruiting classes to add depth, that it should be worth six or even seven wins?

Reactions: 2 people
Unlike, I am sure some, I can see your logic. If by year three, we are still just scraping out five wins, then that would be a major red flag imo. Everyone likes to point to depth as an issue and it really is right now. So, is it not fair to say that by year three with two full recruiting classes to add depth, that it should be worth six or even seven wins?

It's fair to say that, but I would also like to AT LEAST be competitive in our losses as well. No laying down in the losses we have would be nice.

Leave him alone...
What exactly does that phrase mean?
If it is not fire him today, then I agree.
If it is don't judge or vocalize displeasure with his decisions, then I do not agree.
He is the head coach at Tennessee for gods sake! If we truly love and care about this program, all of us should keep him under a magnifying glass.

Most of you posters show no knowledge when you criticize. That hurts the statement.

Can someone elaborate on why these two need to go? It continues to pop up with no supporting information.

I'm no expert but from what I have read, some think that Hart's past with bama that he is here to destroy the program. I don't buy that one. Cheek, on the other hand, wants us to be the Harvard of the south making it damn near impossible to get the talent we need.

Can someone elaborate on why these two need to go? It continues to pop up with no supporting information.

Hart - dissed Pat, dissed Gruden; in August I thought he was the blind squirrel who picked up Butch Jones; now, I'm worried he's the guy who hired Jones and the best staff in America; he kept Dooley after KY; he would have kept Dooley if Franklin hadn't kicked the ****e out of us; there is a general AD malaise at UT that he has failed to clear. His only saving grace is that he is in the shadow of Mike Hambone Hamilton.

Cheek - after several years, he has failed to progress one iota his flagship program at UT; he has imparted and progressed no vision for the university; he is no friend of the one true global UT brand. He eats boogers.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back