Who started this out of control coaches contract spending?

From the article by Richard Johnson, 2019: "In 2018, at least 24 college football coaches made at least $4 million, per USA Today. At least 82 of the 130 head coaches in FBS made $1 million, and all of them comfortably make six figures.

The arc of coaching compensation has created a market in which the best coaches of amateur athletes are paid like middling Fortune 500 CEOs. And it shows no signs of slowing down on the top end."

A history of skyrocketing CFB coach salaries, from Camp to Swinney

The fact that a successful football program generates ungodly revenues that account for 90+% of the athletic budget at many schools is the reason. Plus, the intangibles like more student applications, publicity, etc.

As was pointed out above, Alabama quickly realized the gold mine it has in Saban and really got it rolling. He is worth every penny to that university.
He's the most underpaid coach in college football and probably in any sport, college or professional.

Reactions: EZE
IDK, but I am becoming convinced you get what you pay for. These 100 million $ coaches seem to leave at the drop of a hat. They don't do the job, they start the job, then leave... seems like.
Lord, IF you only did get what you pay for! You are really fortunate if you get back your investment without having to run him off AND pay a partial buyout.

Supply and demand and a free market economy. It’s a beautiful thing that will self correct if it gets out of control
There is one point of contention about this statement. Universities are being propped up artificially from student loans and jacked up tuitions. If and when that system collapses, some of these universities will go bankrupt by making poor decisions about paying coaches outside what they are market-worth.

Reactions: J C Higgins
There is one point of contention about this statement. Universities are being propped up artificially from student loans and jacked up tuitions. If and when that system collapses, some of these universities will go bankrupt by making poor decisions about paying coaches outside what they are market-worth.

you think coaches are being paid by tuition dollars?

Ironically the 2 dumbest states in the country(Alabama and Louisiana) have the 2 highest paid coaches now. Also the 2 worst states for quality of life. Does that answer your question?

well, its not like that $$$, if redirected, would go into fixing any quality-of-life problems. They'd just corrupt it away somewhere else.

you think coaches are being paid by tuition dollars?
I think he/she means that some colleges/universities won't be in existence in the future because the return doesn't justify the time and expense. There has been considerable discussion about this recently in academic and business circles.

It kind of started with Saban, but he was in a league of his own. I think things really got rolling when Auburn gave Gus 7 mil a year. The annual salary for most coaches was around 3 mil at the time, so that’s where it really started to go nuts with everyone trying to match or get closer to that number.

I think the fact all these salaries are public drives a lot if this escalation. I know I would love to have visibility to what all my peers make and the leverage that would give me in any salary negotiation.

Reactions: AdoptedVOL
It wasn’t the coaches raising the bar but those who wrote the checks and were willing to pay.

I'm going to say it was our ole buddy James Franklin who fired the first shot calling for the mega salary for a middlin' coach. Yep, he wanted in the neighborhood of $9 million per year from Tennessee last year (this stated on OutKick 360 podcast out of Nashville Chad Withrow & Co). And D White at the direction of or President and boosters said "no thanks". But he ends up getting it anyway for a 5 loss (and maybe 6) season at Penn State!! Of course the one that really cashed in first was Mel Tucker at MSU who got a $95 million deal guaranteed after posting the worst pass defense (or almost the worst) in the nation. You can't blame Saban for starting this, because he was a bargain and actually delivered excellence well beyond his contract.
But this trend of massive over-spending would seem to risk the financial solvency of our institutions. There is going to be some school that takes a massive hit for all this drunken sailor money. You are going to soon see a coach who has the huge contract and fails - a program may have no choice but to ride his fall into the ground, crash and burn. It concerns me for the longevity for the college game. Much like NIL scares me. Genie out of the bottle now I suppose. I wonder if we will still care about all this 5 years from now, or if we will just drift away from the sport? Time will tell. I hope this gets a re-set at some point without ruining the sport.
Jimbo at Texas A&M started it.

Reactions: HiltonHeadVol
I think Jimbo Fisher affected the salaries of Riley Lincoln and particularly Kelly, but its just a hunch.

proxy-image

I'd say it's television dollars that's paying the coaching market.

VN Store

Back