Who started this out of control coaches contract spending?

HiltonHeadVol

TokyoVol
I'm going to say it was our ole buddy James Franklin who fired the first shot calling for the mega salary for a middlin' coach. Yep, he wanted in the neighborhood of $9 million per year from Tennessee last year (this stated on OutKick 360 podcast out of Nashville Chad Withrow & Co). And D White at the direction of or President and boosters said "no thanks". But he ends up getting it anyway for a 5 loss (and maybe 6) season at Penn State!! Of course the one that really cashed in first was Mel Tucker at MSU who got a $95 million deal guaranteed after posting the worst pass defense (or almost the worst) in the nation. You can't blame Saban for starting this, because he was a bargain and actually delivered excellence well beyond his contract.
But this trend of massive over-spending would seem to risk the financial solvency of our institutions. There is going to be some school that takes a massive hit for all this drunken sailor money. You are going to soon see a coach who has the huge contract and fails - a program may have no choice but to ride his fall into the ground, crash and burn. It concerns me for the longevity for the college game. Much like NIL scares me. Genie out of the bottle now I suppose. I wonder if we will still care about all this 5 years from now, or if we will just drift away from the sport? Time will tell. I hope this gets a re-set at some point without ruining the sport.

Reactions: windrider and Rejo
There's like three good jobs that come open every year or so and only a handful of coaches that would be on nearly everyone's immediate short list. You have to offer up the kind of money that would make someone leave their current job for a lateral move.

Reactions: Remy
I'm going to say it was our ole buddy James Franklin who fired the first shot calling for the mega salary for a middlin' coach. Yep, he wanted in the neighborhood of $9 million per year from Tennessee last year (this stated on OutKick 360 podcast out of Nashville Chad Withrow & Co). And D White at the direction of or President and boosters said "no thanks". But he ends up getting it anyway for a 5 loss (and maybe 6) season at Penn State!! Of course the one that really cashed in first was Mel Tucker at MSU who got a $95 million deal guaranteed after posting the worst pass defense (or almost the worst) in the nation. You can't blame Saban for starting this, because he was a bargain and actually delivered excellence well beyond his contract.
But this trend of massive over-spending would seem to risk the financial solvency of our institutions. There is going to be some school that takes a massive hit for all this drunken sailor money. You are going to soon see a coach who has the huge contract and fails - a program may have no choice but to ride his fall into the ground, crash and burn. It concerns me for the longevity for the college game. Much like NIL scares me. Genie out of the bottle now I suppose. I wonder if we will still care about all this 5 years from now, or if we will just drift away from the sport? Time will tell. I hope this gets a re-set at some point without ruining the sport.

It will eventually level off otherwise mid level division 1 schools will be forced to make difficult decisions

It started back when it jumped from $2mil a year to $4mil. It's been going up an insane amount annually every since the salary doubled back then.

Reactions: feathersax
The fact that a coach like Mel Tucker got $95 million is complete craziness. What has he done to deserve to get that much money right now there is only 3 to maybe 4 guys that are even on that level. Saban, Meyer, Dabo, and that is pretty much it the rest are $6 to maybe $8mil a year but I am not the one paying it and if that the market they wanna set it could blow up in there face jmo.

Reactions: Plecoptera
The fact that a coach like Mel Tucker got $95 million is complete craziness. What has he done to deserve to get that much money right now there is only 3 to maybe 4 guys that are even on that level. Saban, Meyer, Dabo, and that is pretty much it the rest are $6 to maybe $8mil a year but I am not the one paying it and if that the market they wanna set it could blow up in there face jmo.
I’m not sold on Tucker either, but as long as he is beating Michigan, nobody is gonna complain about that big contract.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Social media and the pressure resonated by such...instant reaction/rejection/gratification....

It's why coaches get raises/extensions after 1 good year.....and get fired after 1 bad year...

If a went to work and my boss told me that I did a great job yesterday and he’s gonna double my pay… I would for sure take it… As long as they are dumb enough to keep paying, I’m sure no one is gonna turn it down. I agree it has gotten ridiculous. I don’t blame any coach I blame the people that offer the money.

Reactions: Falcons02
Michigan State had two billionaire boosters pony up the money for Tucker's raise. Not saying he is worth it but if two billionaires are willing to pay for it then there isn't really much risk for the University.

Mr. Supply & Mrs. Demand
Yep. Want to watch the SoCon game between VMI and Furman? You'll likely find it on ESPN+. Apparently, there's no top end to the demand for college football. So, TV revenue is pouring into universities like never before, and for many schools that has to be like found money. Good for them. Good for fans.

Reactions: Alto1
If a went to work and my boss told me that I did a great job yesterday and he’s gonna double my pay… I would for sure take it… As long as they are dumb enough to keep paying, I’m sure no one is gonna turn it down. I agree it has gotten ridiculous. I don’t blame any coach I blame the people that offer the money.
With one exception......one day soon, that company goes bankrupt and you get zero salary. And that will happen to a school one day I feel certain.

Reactions: chvolman
Michigan State had two billionaire boosters pony up the money for Tucker's raise. Not saying he is worth it but if two billionaires are willing to pay for it then there isn't really much risk for the University.
Good point.....but those whale donors are few and far between. And even they don't like to made to look like a fool when a coach gets big bucks and cannot get them to the conf. championship game.

Ironically the 2 dumbest states in the country(Alabama and Louisiana) have the 2 highest paid coaches now. Also the 2 worst states for quality of life. Does that answer your question?

Reactions: VolDave53
IDK, but I am becoming convinced you get what you pay for. These 100 million $ coaches seem to leave at the drop of a hat. They don't do the job, they start the job, then leave... seems like.

100 million $ coaches are becoming the fix it men of ball. They show up late, do the tear down, then leave for a three hour lunch before telling you they will finish the job later.

VN Store

Back