Who is your top choice for a replacement?

Who is your top choice for a replacement?

• Jeff Walz

• Kellie Harper

• A top mid-major coach Fortier, Baranczyk, Krieger or Banghart

• Other (please post who)

Results are only viewable after voting.
There is some buzz around Niele Ivey (former WNBA player and assistant at Notre Dame where she also player her college ball) as another front runner (i.e., the plan B if Walz does not materialize).

The connection with N.D. and her WNBA cred are all pluses but I am not as excited about going with another assistant unless she is just one of those amazing individuals who know won't fail.

I really like Ivey or Hammon. I know they are assistants, but I think they are coaches who know they're doing in terms of in-game coaching, and Ivey is a fantastic recruiter. Just an instinct with me. WTBS, their success would be determined a lot by their staff choices. I do think neither one would take any bs off any player. They are both in their early 40s, so not terribly young in terms of players having trouble respecting them.

Moreover, they know what it takes to win. Ivey has won a NC as a player and one as a coach, not to mention her FF appearances and conference championships in both the Big East and ACC. And Hammon was incredibly successful as a player in the WNBA. But because of her success in college as a player and coach, Ivey would be my pick out of the two.

But, as more and more about Holly's program is coming out; the team needs someone who will run a proverbial tight ship.

Lot of rumors now floating that some players on the team were into the partying scene much more than they should have been. Not sure if true but it would fit with Evina's comments about needing to clean up "off the court stuff."

Players have been partying forever, though. The Candace/Hornbuckle/Anosike class trio loved to party. I mean they are college students afterall. I don't think it's an issue as long as it doesn't translate to the court, which it didn't with that crew. Who knows if that's been a contributing factor to this team, and if so, how much?

Players have been partying forever, though. The Candace/Hornbuckle/Anosike class trio loved to party. I mean they are college students afterall. I don't think it's an issue as long as it doesn't translate to the court, which it didn't with that crew. Who knows if that's been a contributing factor to this team, and if so, how much?

But did they party during the season?

Cori Close of UCLA. The lady can coach the horns off a billygoat! Please someone tell AD Fulmer to make her an offer.

My thoughts on the coaching search. UT will not pay a buyout and 1.5 million for a coach. End of story. Unless Walz is willing to pay his own buyout and work for 1/2 a million will not be the next UT WBB coach. Wes Moore is to old, if he was 10 years younger and his resume included more Power 5 experience he would be a fit here IMO. Frese has a smell surrounding her Maryland program and again her cost would be prohibitive. Langley coached under her and moved on to Rice and has her own resume and has done well at Rice. She would have to have a very intense vetting but if she is clean I have no problem with her. I have no idea her current salary and what it would take to hire her. I think the salary cap for a UT hire is 1/2 a million. That takes us to Hammon, surround her with good recruiters and she would be fine, but again money is the issue. Gail G is not a candidate beside again money is prohibitive, Same with the MSU and Baylor coach.

Ivey is intriguing to me, new blood who would need a very good high paying staff to surround he because she lacks HC experience. Get an older mentor situation such a successful HC with her and it could work. That leads us to KJ Harper. She has a good resume and her time at NCST can be excused because she followed a legend in Kay Yow. The problem is her flexibility as far as her husband on staff. It is a given he comes as a package deal with her. She needs a high level recruiter and UT has Reeves, but could she talk her into staying around? She has HC experience that could help KJH but she is known for her top level recruiting at UT of the last couple of years and at her stops at WVU MSU etc. I think she would also need another older assistant with successful HC experience to help develop her for the big stage. Can she get a staff with all this expertise and still keep Hubby around? I think it is worth a try. Jessica Jackson is her recruiting coordinator at Mizzou St is she good enough to do the job at UT if she brought her along?

The hard core Lady Vol fan base that has followed and filled the TBA has to be considered. The core that helped attendance that always shows up beyond the fans that follow anything that is UT. Who do they want. I think Harper would satisfy them. Is she flexible enough to allow a staff to be put around her to make her successful?I like her and she has a big resume and has coached at many schools other than UT and would bring in a fresh perspective IMO.

My thoughts on the coaching search. UT will not pay a buyout and 1.5 million for a coach. End of story. Unless Walz is willing to pay his own buyout and work for 1/2 a million will not be the next UT WBB coach. Wes Moore is to old, if he was 10 years younger and his resume included more Power 5 experience he would be a fit here IMO. Frese has a smell surrounding her Maryland program and again her cost would be prohibitive. Langley coached under her and moved on to Rice and has her own resume and has done well at Rice. She would have to have a very intense vetting but if she is clean I have no problem with her. I have no idea her current salary and what it would take to hire her. I think the salary cap for a UT hire is 1/2 a million. That takes us to Hammon, surround her with good recruiters and she would be fine, but again money is the issue. Gail G is not a candidate beside again money is prohibitive, Same with the MSU and Baylor coach.

Ivey is intriguing to me, new blood who would need a very good high paying staff to surround he because she lacks HC experience. Get an older mentor situation such a successful HC with her and it could work. That leads us to KJ Harper. She has a good resume and her time at NCST can be excused because she followed a legend in Kay Yow. The problem is her flexibility as far as her husband on staff. It is a given he comes as a package deal with her. She needs a high level recruiter and UT has Reeves, but could she talk her into staying around? She has HC experience that could help KJH but she is known for her top level recruiting at UT of the last couple of years and at her stops at WVU MSU etc. I think she would also need another older assistant with successful HC experience to help develop her for the big stage. Can she get a staff with all this expertise and still keep Hubby around? I think it is worth a try. Jessica Jackson is her recruiting coordinator at Mizzou St is she good enough to do the job at UT if she brought her along?

The hard core Lady Vol fan base that has followed and filled the TBA has to be considered. The core that helped attendance that always shows up beyond the fans that follow anything that is UT. Who do they want. I think Harper would satisfy them. Is she flexible enough to allow a staff to be put around her to make her successful?I like her and she has a big resume and has coached at many schools other than UT and would bring in a fresh perspective IMO.
If Tennessee and Phil Fulmer goes way cheap and hires an assistant coach from somewhere I can't guarantee that I will support the hire and back the new women's head basketball coach.

If they did hire KJ Harper, would her husband be allowed to be on staff? Someone on this site mentioned that may not be possible because of state nepotism law.

By the way, 500k max seems low for a quality coach.

The more I think about it, the stronger I feel that the next coach needs to be a “Wowza!” big-namer — someone that everyone who is a Lady Vols fan will be instantly impressed by, excited about, and proud of... and also, someone who makes fans of rival programs think, “Dammit! Now we’ll have to worry about Tennessee again!”

What names will get that kind of cred?

The more I think about it, the stronger I feel that the next coach needs to be a “Wowza!” big-namer — someone that everyone who is a Lady Vols fan will be instantly impressed by, excited about, and proud of... and also, someone who makes fans of rival programs think, “Dammit! Now we’ll have to worry about Tennessee again!”

1 Geno!

Jeff Walz is the only one Tennessee is interested in that fits that bill. I think if he comes to Tennessee he could be a women's basketball version of Bruce Pearl.

Reactions: bullet20
I have not seen N. Carolina St play before today. I had thought Wes would be acceptable as our coach, but if the first half of their game against Iowa is any indication, I am concerned. His team looks so much like our team this year. Lazy passes; bad shots; lazy defense; and unimpressive in all areas.

Maybe the 2nd half will be better, but right now, I certainly don't want any coach who resembles what Holly did.

Tennessee fans better get ready for a big disappointment if they believe the university will fork our close to 1.5 million to get Jeff Walz from Louisville. Getting Geno is a pipe dream as well. There won’t be anyone coaching the LV team who is making anywhere close to 1million now. Everyone screaming for these top shelf coaches is crazy. Much to my chagrin, Tennessee LV program is just another team in the SEC. That old gray mare ain’t nothing like she used to be. So let’s get real!!! Hire someone like KJH!!! Give her a chance to bring greatness back to our beloved program. She is an up and comer as a coach but more importantly, she’s a LADY VOL!! Stop living in a fools paradise thinking Tennessee is going to get Jeff, Geno, Vic, Gail or any other million dollar coach!! It ain’t happening today, tomorrow or ever!!

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
Tennessee fans better get ready for a big disappointment if they believe the university will fork our close to 1.5 million to get Jeff Walz from Louisville. Getting Geno is a pipe dream as well. There won’t be anyone coaching the LV team who is making anywhere close to 1million now. Everyone screaming for these top shelf coaches is crazy. Much to my chagrin, Tennessee LV program is just another team in the SEC. That old gray mare ain’t nothing like she used to be. So let’s get real!!! Hire someone like KJH!!! Give her a chance to bring greatness back to our beloved program. She is an up and comer as a coach but more importantly, she’s a LADY VOL!! Stop living in a fools paradise thinking Tennessee is going to get Jeff, Geno, Vic, Gail or any other million dollar coach!! It ain’t happening today, tomorrow or ever!!
If Tennessee goes cheap I wont support the mid-major coach or assistant coach they hire. The new coach would have to earn my support

Reactions: Bighairlol
K

Tennessee fans better get ready for a big disappointment if they believe the university will fork our close to 1.5 million ...

I believe Phil will be willing to pay the big bucks it will take to hire a big-name coach — IF he ultimately truly believes that big-namer is “The One.”

I think (and I hope!) you are underestimating the amount of pride that still exists for Tennessee Lady Vols basketball, and how many hidden forces are ready to experience all the positive notoriety that getting the program back to the top will bring.

You lost me when you mentioned .5 million. That's not even close to the range we are talking about, especially given Holly made around 800k.

From what I've been told money really isn't a huge issue, at least not to the extent that you're making it out to be.

I swear to God y'all don't read.

If they did hire KJ Harper, would her husband be allowed to be on staff? Someone on this site mentioned that may not be possible because of state nepotism law.

Yes, due to anti-nepotism laws, she wouldn't be able to be her husband's boss. He could be on staff but only as a coach HC situation like the Weeklys. That's why the Weeklys are co HCs.

By the way, 500k max seems low for a quality coach.

It is, and the new coach, whoever it is, will be making much more than that, even if it's a coach that has no HC experience like Ivey. I don't know where people are plucking 500k out of thin air, especially given Holly's salary was much more than that.

TN isn't going cheap. Got 2 mil for salary and buyouts. My top picks would be Vic and Dawn. Don't think they'll be interested. Then Jeff. If Fulmer wants a proven lady, and Muffet and Tara aren't available, there's always Kim. I want a proven coach who has taken a team to a final four. Scott Rueck also qualifies.

The commentators between the two games. They were talking about the position at Tennessee. Said that because of the school, fan base, and history, the hire had to be someone who was a manager used to handling a large program. Needed to be a coach from one of the Power 5 conferences. I tend to agree.

Reactions: ksl415 and mcannon1
The commentators between the two games. They were talking about the position at Tennessee. Said that because of the school, fan base, and history, the hire had to be someone who was a manager used to handling a large program. Needed to be a coach from one of the Power 5 conferences. I tend to agree.
Have to give Andy Landers props too for saying it's the best job in women's basketball.

VN Store

Back