Who Is The Best Player You Have Seen In Person?

(For one play), it was defensive lineman Billy Ratliff, who made the most important defensive play in UT history. Arkansas was trying to run out the clock as they held a 24-22 lead at UT. Ratliff pushed back the Arky center and the center backpedaled into Clint Stoerner, the Arky QB, who subsequently stumbled and left the ball on the field as he tried to balance himself upright. Ratliff pounced on the ball and The Volunteers perfect undefeated season was preserved, as the Offense did their job and went ahead and scored. I was in the seats of that miserable weather game and anyone who was there will remember the eerily quietness that fell upon Shields Watkins Field when Stoerner placed the ball on the field. Time stood still, then Billy POUNCED us into a NC.

(For one play), it was defensive lineman Billy Ratliff, who made the most important defensive play in UT history. Arkansas was trying to run out the clock as they held a 24-22 lead at UT. Ratliff pushed back the Arky center and the center backpedaled into Clint Stoerner, the Arky QB, who subsequently stumbled and left the ball on the field as he tried to balance himself upright. Ratliff pounced on the ball and The Volunteers perfect undefeated season was preserved, as the Offense did their job and went ahead and scored. I was in the seats of that miserable weather game and anyone who was there will remember the eerily quietness that fell upon Shields Watkins Field when Stoerner placed the ball on the field. Time stood still, then Billy POUNCED us into a NC.
Wow! Reading this gave me chills.

I seen a lot of great players but Hershel Walker & Bo Jackson were the best. But it's Bo Jackson. I never saw Deon Sanders play football but I saw him play baseball for the Braves. He would be number 3.

Reactions: Post4Vols and MAD
Ive seen a lot of Vols over the years, but CP and Eric Berry would be my top picks. Took a little league team to watch a local high school game one year and seen Nick Chubb. He was nasty.

Reactions: MAD
Dang good thread. This made me think.

UT - Manning/Reggie, Pickens, Little, Carter, Berry

Other teams - Shaun Alexander, Baker Mayfield, or Alex Brown (I was down there in 99' 😒)

In person, Deon, Herschel, Lawrence Taylor, don’t think I ever saw Bo in person in college -
As another poster mentioned, watching Jordan at UNC was the best at anything.

Reactions: MAD
I've been fortunate to see some great (non Vols) college players in person:

HW
Deion
Bo
Flutie
Joe Adams @ Tennessee St
Derrick Thomas @ Bama
Ron Simmons @ FSU
Charles Alexander @ LSU

Just to name a few...but there was something different about Chuck Webb. He had speed and power like Bo and Walker. What could have been.

VN Store

Back