Who is the best DB coach money can buy?

Better plan is to recruit better players. You see what ugh gets on defense. We need to be getting our share of those guys. You cannot simply expect to outscore everyone. Ask Oklahoma. You have to be able to stop the other team and our players are just not there. Yet.

Better plan is to recruit better players. You see what ugh gets on defense. We need to be getting our share of those guys. You cannot simply expect to outscore everyone. Ask Oklahoma. You have to be able to stop the other team and our players are just not there. Yet.
But that’s the point , got get the best recruiting and best DB coach money can buy.

Talent excuse is pathetic at this point. Period. Vandy and directional universities are putting better defenses on the field. This wasn’t a good offense we faced. Look at Rattlers QBR all year then look at it versus us.

Our style of offense means our defense isn't going to be very good. I get that Saturday was a disaster and I'm not saying it was acceptable, but calling for coaches to be fired from a 9-2 team that has overachieved all year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Face it, South Carolina isn't as bad as we think and they have good players too. Our corners are too slow and they took advantage of that.

I didn't see Martinez or Banks play the first snap. Pretty simple, that's your guy go cover him. It's a talent issue.
Agree, There is an old saying in football, “it is not the Xs & Os, it’s the Jimmies and Joes”. If your Jimmies & Joes are better than your opponents’, you’ll likely to win most games.

Talent excuse is pathetic at this point. Period. Vandy and directional universities are putting better defenses on the field. This wasn’t a good offense we faced. Look at Rattlers QBR all year then look at it versus us.
This. We don’t have great talent back there. But it’s good enough to be better than almost dead last out of 131 teams against the pass. Coaching on that side needs as much a talent upgrade as the personnel.

I understand there is a talent issue, but the secondary is ranked 130 out of 131 I believe. I am sure there are less talented teams doing better with what they have, many more--especially against South Carolina.

Its a combination of bad scheme/coaching and lack of talent. 50/50 imo. No one in that secondary from Saturday night should have a scholly next year in D1 football. Honestly Banks and Martinez shouldn't have jobs either. Unfortunately that is Heupel's job and decision to make.

I didn't see Martinez or Banks play the first snap. Pretty simple, that's your guy go cover him. It's a talent issue.

Yes, it's a talent issue for sure. I'm just wondering if our schemes could be better. Rattler played out of his mind Saturday, too. That's the guy two years ago at Oklahoma that was a Heisman favorite.

Have to agree with this. Can't be dead last in pass defense when we should have far better players than every MAC team AAC team SUNBELT team.

Can’t coach talent into them
Again. Is Vandy seriously more talented than we are? Talent is part of it, coaching is a major part as well.

Mighty Ga State held Carolina more in check than Tennessee did. Rattler was subpar pitiful until he met this putrid excuse for a defense. This was one of the bottom offenses in the conference and we allow them to score 9 TDs in 10 possessions. Volnation overreacts consistently but this isn’t an overreaction someone needs to be fired for what we witnessed Saturday.

If you’re going to make excuses for that performance when are you going to stop making excuses? How many years of that POS defense are you going to tolerate before you say maybe we got the wrong guys developing?

Have to agree with this. Can't be dead last in pass defense when we should have far better players than every MAC team AAC team SUNBELT team.
Honestly those players haven't been worth a fk since they got here either. None of them. I question their work habits and determination. Lack of speed and awareness is a huge problem. None of them look like a D1 db

We are dead last in passing yards given up in the entire country. Does anyone here truly believe that we have the absolute worst physical talent of every D1 team in the nation? There have been walk-ons that have played better defense than what we saw against USCe. There are teams with zero 4 and 5* players doing much better than what we saw Saturday night. We don’t need a bunch of 5* players to have a serviceable secondary. If we had a top 30 secondary it would suffice against most every team we will face, especially considering how effective our offense can be. It boils down to one thing, and one thing only. The secondary is and has been poorly coached.

Our style of offense means our defense isn't going to be very good. I get that Saturday was a disaster and I'm not saying it was acceptable, but calling for coaches to be fired from a 9-2 team that has overachieved all year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Face it, South Carolina isn't as bad as we think and they have good players too. Our corners are too slow and they took advantage of that.
Oh BS!! I get if they were worn down. They got one damn stop out of ten. The rest were TDs. Carolina is Fing terrible and they showed that all year. Offense, tempo, etc had zero to do with what we saw on defense they were consistently terrible the entire game.

As we need to break the bank for one
LOL. You think there's a ton of difference between the way one guy runs drills and another? You think Martinez is the guy making the play calls or scheming to give huge cushions and leave the flats open?

Martinez isn't a DC. But he has success as a DB coach. Banks prior to being hired at UT had not been a DC by himself. He was the Co-DC at Penn State and apparently not the playcaller.

LOL. You think there's a ton of difference between the way one guy runs drills and another? You think Martinez is the guy making the play calls or scheming to give huge cushions and leave the flats open?

Martinez isn't a DC. But he has success as a DB coach. Banks prior to being hired at UT had not been a DC by himself. He was the Co-DC at Penn State and apparently not the playcaller.
Then ***** fire Banks and ho get an aggressive DC

Well if Banks is gone I’m pretty sure the new DC brings in most of his own guys anyways. So A takes care of B.

Hire Barry Odom at this point. Heupel knows him. He knows the conference. Understands how to put a good defense on the field. Probably could convince Garner to stay as well.

VN Store

Back