Who Is Billy Napier?

If I were a UF fan, I would be excited about Napier as the next HC. So, of course, that means we UT fans should not like it .

Napier was a candidate that I had hoped would be in the running at UT last go around. I have no clue if UT tried there or if there was no traction.

Still, I think it is indisputable now that hiring a coach has an unavoidable randomness to it. I mean, Dan Mullen to UF seemed like a very nice hire. The drawback with him was always his odd personality and poor individual recruiting, but he had Mississippi State at the highest levels that program ever reached and the thought was the recruiting would take care of itself at UF given the talent in Florida. But a year after a SEC championship game appearance, Mullen is out on his ear and UF has regressed and quite this year. Tom Herman and Justin Fuente were supposed to be sure things and they both fizzled. Sarkisian was supposed to be a sure thing and Texas is in the midst of a historic losing streak.

And so, Napier would be a hire that we should be concerned about. But it isn't a hire that should strike dread in UT fans like UF bringing back Meyer or bringing in Kiffin
I don’t think anyone thought Sark was a sure thing.

Reactions: knox73
We'll see. He's done a fine job but has been the beneficiary of 4 years of an all-conference QB in Levi Lewis. I don't think Tennessee was ever seriously interested.

Reactions: Volatility
He looks and smells like a bad hire! Probably just a tad smarter than Pruitt. If this is their hire, have a God feeling Florida will be spending another 3yrs wondering in the wilderness.

Reactions: SmokeVol
Thanks for the info on Napier. You can see Nick Saban a few years ago telling Bama what it would take with new facilities as a condition to be hired but Napier? Anyway it is a crap shoot and the hot names get built up every year only to fail due to the overhype. Some articles are building up his connection to Dabo when in reality he was a holdover from Bowden who Dabo canned. It is a whole different world in the SEC than the Ragin Cagin land - Orgeron should take that job as a hobby following his big LSU payday.

Reactions: mpfvol and SmokeVol
Not overly impressed with his record, seems like a Butch Jones hire for UF.

Also seems like the “chatter” around him is generated by his agent.

This hire wouldn’t scare me one bit especially since UF will be rebuilding a year or two behind most of the SEC and the pressure cooker environment in Gainsville wouldn’t give him more than one losing season.

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
He was fired at Clemson to save dabo job. He played at my local high school his dad was a heck of a high school coach. Good solid background and God loving family. Probably as good as a hire as Florida can make he has turned down several sec jobs. Really thought lsu was his future job although rumor is Saban has said numerous times that Napier should take over after him.

Reactions: txbo
Billy doesn’t scare me. Plays down to his competition for the most part. Rather see him at UF than other options.

That would be us! I work in Dalton, GA. People around here have tremendous respect for him. He was a STUD QB at Murray Co., and those were the only years that MCHS beat Dalton.

Murray Co. is traditionally garbage. My [now] hometown Ringgold HS beat MCHS this year 78-0, just to put things in perspective of how bad they are year in and year out. I went to the MCHS @ Ringgold game this year, and we were beating them so badly, that I heard one of their fans yell from across the field, "WE WANT BILLY NAPIER BACK!!!"

I mean, wow. I felt bad for those poor kids on the MCHS team.

In any case, I would think Napier would be more inclined to end up at LSU that FL because he's already much more familiar with the recruiting landscape in the LA area. At least at LSU, he won't have to fight for as many local recruits as he does at LA-Lafayette.
I'm now in Ringgold also, originally from Dalton. Son plays/played RB at Heritage. Was out this year though. Yeah, it's crazy how far MC has fallen, but the whole town is different now from when I was growing up.

Reactions: supersmo18
I kinda think we need to not give a da$& who they hire and worry about getting tennessee back. “To be tha man, you gotta beat tha man”. We are coming, they need to worry about us now.....our trip through the desert appears to be coming to an end.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
I'm now in Ringgold also, originally from Dalton. Son plays/played RB at Heritage. Was out this year though. Yeah, it's crazy how far MC has fallen, but the whole town is different now from when I was growing up.
Wow, small world! I love this area. I grew up in Mt. Juliet, TN but moved down here for college at UTC so I could attend physical therapy school as well. When I got married we moved into Ringgold because I work for Hamilton (my wife used to also) but all of our social life was in Dalton. All my in laws are Daltonites.

The word has always been that he’s waiting for LSU…we’ll see since that is now open.

I‘d like to see Butch Jones take the Florida job…or Dereck Dooley…or Cornbread…

If Florida hires bad coaches, I figure they will not hire ones we already ruined.

Doubt they really want to roll the dice on a character challenged coach like Lane. They see him shopping while ha has a big game tomorrow for Ole Miss.
I have never heard the term "Character challenged" as you've used it as applied to Kiffin as you did here.

I like it - a highly accurate description of Kiffin.

The primary reason why I don't want him here.

Good job Gunter.

Reactions: Sarms58
Billy's Daddy Bill coached at Muarry Co.and Dalton as their OC. Bill is from Celina TN. Billy will win big at FL. I love the Hype Man but I was wanting Billy Bad. Don't be surprised if he turns them down

Back then, I thought Tom Herman, Justin Fuentes, and Scott Frost were great young coaches that would dominate the CFB for years to come. Funny how that turned out... When Charlie Strong was hired by Texas, I thought he would bring them to prominence.

We never know how these "hot coaches" hires turn out.

Reactions: Volatility
Latest info I heard (last evening from 247/the swamp) strongly suggested that Florida thru their DD found too much from Kiffin's background that essentially make his path to being their head coach a no-go. Stuff loosely implied about recent events and rumors around the athletics dept. at Fla. (such as what they went thru with the ugly rumors swirling around their baseball coach last June with the wife of a program follower/neighbor mom). So it seems that Florida is now down to Billy Napier and they suggest Mario Cristobal as #2. For me, I see no way the money people at Nike allow their HC to be cherry picked by an SEC program. Deep pockets out there in Oregon. So the Florida hire could potentially turn out to be a real surprise to most, particularly if what TxBo says turns out to be true about his direct line of knowledge of BN and his doubt at whether Napier would take the Gators job.

There's an old saying. Be careful what you wish for.
Given our record vs fired Florida coaches I don’t think it really matters if he sucks or is the greatest coach in Gainesville since Meyer. Till someone starts winning routinely vs Florida it doesn’t matter.

VN Store

Back