Who Is Billy Napier?

Sucks to see a Tennessee boy coaching the Gators. Hope he’s no good. Hope Lane don’t go there
Spurrier was a TN boy.
Yes, please lord all mighty let's not repeat that scenario again...ever.

My take on Napier is he might have been born in TN, but he is known and well liked in Louisiana.
If offered, he'll take the LSU job and be VERY successful.

Not sure about this. He's elevated a program that's not been good. Consistently gotten better.
Butch Jonesesque. Although he did take over programs that were already OK before he got there, Jones maintained and, arguably, improved his 2 previous teams before UT.

Has Napimehr had any success similar to Mehlen, before Mehlen took the UF position?

People in the Dalton, Ga/NWGA area should be familiar with this guy. He grew up and played ball in Murray County and his father was the HC for Murray County in the 90s/2000s and had them rolling for awhile.
That would be us! I work in Dalton, GA. People around here have tremendous respect for him. He was a STUD QB at Murray Co., and those were the only years that MCHS beat Dalton.

Murray Co. is traditionally garbage. My [now] hometown Ringgold HS beat MCHS this year 78-0, just to put things in perspective of how bad they are year in and year out. I went to the MCHS @ Ringgold game this year, and we were beating them so badly, that I heard one of their fans yell from across the field, "WE WANT BILLY NAPIER BACK!!!"

I mean, wow. I felt bad for those poor kids on the MCHS team.

In any case, I would think Napier would be more inclined to end up at LSU that FL because he's already much more familiar with the recruiting landscape in the LA area. At least at LSU, he won't have to fight for as many local recruits as he does at LA-Lafayette.

According to several Gator know it all's he is the odds on choice to be the new coach at Florida.

Do we like this?

We don't want a top coach at Florida needless to say.
Not the worst they could do. Honestly if Tennessee had hired him last year I would’ve been cautiously optimistic. I don’t view him as the threat Kiffin or Freeze would be at Florida. Jmo though. He’s an up and comer that’s been mentioned with several big job openings.

He's doing as well as you can expect at a school like Louisiana. As many have pointed out, who knows how that translates to the big time. I will say that Florida is a fairly easy job to win 9-10 games in a hurry. They are always stocked with talent and anyone can recruit well there. Ron Zook was the worst coach they've ever hired by far and is the only one that couldn't win the SEC East.

No Gators fan here but wouldn’t mind the hire.He followed Hudspeth remember Butch followed Kelley everywhere.If I were the Gators AD and don’t tell him I said it.My next coach would come from the same place they got the last one.

Same thing was said about Darth Mullen

Mullen was doing well. 29-9 in his first 3 years is nothing to scoff at... as well as improving the team from the #17 to the #7 squad in 247's Talent Composite rankings.

His downfall was being in the toxic swamp where local media and fans put him on the hot seat the second he lost to Kentucky.

And this is a trend. Muschamp, McElwain, Mullen... they've all had good years (10+ wins each) and immediately if there is a step back the local/national media start putting them on the hot seat causing fans/players to lose faith in the staff. Everyone knew this was going to be a reloading/rebuilding year for him yet are surprised that he didn't go undefeated?

VN Store

Back