Who do you want back next year?

Who do you want to see return in 2023-24?

• Julian Phillips

Votes: 175 77.1%
  • BJ Edwards

Votes: 66 29.1%
  • Josiah Jordan-James

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Santiago Vescovi

Votes: 178 78.4%
  • Uros Plavsic

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • Olivier Nkamhoua

Votes: 57 25.1%
  • Portal addition #1

Votes: 112 49.3%
  • Portal addition #2

Votes: 72 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really really hope we have scoring next season, but my main reason for wanting Santi back is he's a defensive anchor. We will only return Mashack as a proven defender on the perimeter next season, until ZZ gets back, which could be anywhere from November to February according to how his healing processes. Even then who knows how long it will be before he's as effective as he was.

Anyone who would not want SV back is insane. With a healthy ZZ and not knowing much about the young ones for next season. But if there are at least two on the floor that can break down the defense along with a legitimate scoring threat in the middle. SV would be taking a lot more open looks. Thats an offense that would look more fluent. And im not sure how this would work but if Phillips comes back and adds 20 pounds imagine how tough he would be possibly playing the four spot at times. I really think we need at least two legitimate 6'3 range guards that can attack the paint and also be 35% or better from 3.
My only drawback on Vescovi is his inability to create a shot. He needs screens and picks to get off a shot. He's been around to a point where especially SEC coaches know how to defend him most of the times. He and ZZ make a formidable backcourt due to their experience together though. Vescovi would be needed next season primarily in hopes of the younger Vols emerging.

My only drawback on Vescovi is his inability to create a shot. He needs screens and picks to get off a shot. He's been around to a point where especially SEC coaches know how to defend him most of the times. He and ZZ make a formidable backcourt due to their experience together though. Vescovi would be needed next season primarily in hopes of the younger Vols emerging.
But if you have other guys that penetrate then SV doesnt have to and can be a spot up shooter as they drive and kick it out.

But if you have other guys that penetrate then SV doesnt have to and can be a spot up shooter as they drive and kick it out.
This. If we can put multiple guys on the floor that can get to the rim, it makes Vescovi a lot more valuable. The problem this year was nobody could get to the rim so the defense never had to collapse.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
I would like to see Phillips return for 2024.

Plavsic and Vescovi can probably earn good money playing overseas.

James and Nkamhoua could possibly land free agent NBA contracts.

Key probably moves on with his life.

I would like to see Phillips return for 2024.

Plavsic and Vescovi can probably earn good money playing overseas.

James and Nkamhoua could possibly land free agent NBA contracts.

Key probably moves on with his life.
I'll be stunned if Plavsic plays anywhere. The other three I can see overseas. None are NBA caliber IMO.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Even Uros really improved late in his career at finishing in the paint. Another year and the staff might have been able to coach the Ron Wright Womp Yer Head Off Hold out of him.

+1 for the Ron Wright reference; perhaps Uros could form a tag team with the Mongolian Stomper?

Phillips is the only one I really want back. But, I wouldn’t say no to Santi either. I just think this roster needs an extreme overhaul and some fresh blood. I believe JJJ, ORN, and Uros are who they are at this point and I don’t see a scenario where they come back and improve and take this team to a Final Four.

Reactions: Namorto1

VN Store

Back