Who do you want back next year?

Who do you want to see return in 2023-24?

• Julian Phillips

Votes: 175 77.1%
  • BJ Edwards

Votes: 66 29.1%
  • Josiah Jordan-James

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Santiago Vescovi

Votes: 178 78.4%
  • Uros Plavsic

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • Olivier Nkamhoua

Votes: 57 25.1%
  • Portal addition #1

Votes: 112 49.3%
  • Portal addition #2

Votes: 72 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thunder Good-Oil

Select up to 4.

Right now TN still has 2 open scholarships assuming that all 4 seniors with an optional year do not use it. Phillips has options. A few posters have suggested that BJ Edwards will transfer. We’ll assume that the others return.

So, by my math, vote for UP TO 4 of the 6 that you want to see return. Voting for 4 leaves no room for adding a transfer from the portal.

Voting is anonymous.

Edit: 2 more options are added. Vote for up to 4 of how you want scholarships used in 2023-24.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeInKy
Phillips and maybe Santi. The rest can git.
I want both those guys back for sure and I am mixed on JJJ because I like him and I think he’s had a bad hand with injuries throughout his career. However, I think those issues are likely to continue so not worth a roster spot if he’s going to miss 10 plus games, imo.

Reactions: berryvol
I’d like to keep Phillips and any 2 of Vescovi, JJJ, ON. I’d rather had any of them over what we have been getting out of the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacjim
I want both those guys back for sure and I am mixed on JJJ because I like him and I think he’s had a bad hand with injuries throughout his career. However, I think those issues are likely to continue so not worth a roster spot if he’s going to miss 10 plus games, imo.
Between his injuries and his lack of consistent play and killer instinct, he’s a waste of a roster spot at this point. I’d rather have a young guy developing into someone who can be more of a factor at the end of games. JJJ is an elite defender, but I have faith in CRB to turn almost anyone on our roster into that.

Reactions: Hoggervol
There might be more talent on next year’s roster, but without a single upperclassman returning it will be quite an accomplishment to match this year’s results or improve on them. JJJ would really help IMO. Even if he again was to miss a lot of games and minutes.

I don’t know if TN has ever had ZERO juniors and seniors return the next year.

Reactions: VOLED and vol94
All the seniors need to move on, to hopefully their benefit. Time to change the leadership on the roster. Everyone else I hope returns and we add 2 transfers.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Who I don't want back is Key.
We need a bona fide scorer to take his minutes.

And an assistant coach who can help Rick coach offense.

You’re in luck. Assistant coaches don’t use a scholarship.

Key has used up all of his eligibility, but I heard that a guy named Kyreke Tey has entered the portal and has TN on his short list.

There might be more talent on next year’s roster, but without a single upperclassman returning it will be quite an accomplishment to match this year’s results or improve on them. JJJ would really help IMO. Even if he again was to miss a lot of games and minutes.

I don’t know if TN has ever had ZERO juniors and seniors return the next year.

The Cliff Wettig interim year in 1977-78 had ZERO upperclassmen from the 1976-77 team return.

1977-78: 11-16 (6-12)

Phillips and Edwards. The rest need to go. IDC if the team will be void of leadership. Inconsistency is the best word to describe the leaving players. 1 good game followed by 3 or 4 no show games. None of them showed up against FAU.

Roll the dice with a couple of transfers. They can't be as bad as Key

Who I don't want back is Key.
We need a bona fide scorer to take his minutes.

And an assistant coach who can help Rick coach offense.
Transfer portal had not been good for Vols Powell last season was supposed to b shot maker from 3 pt line started great couldn't make a shot end of season....Key was not SEC caliber guard most teams do well with transfers Vols have not.....

Santi should come back only if (1) he will not be required to bring the ball up the court except on a potential fast break, with point guards carrying the obligation to expeditiously bring the ball up the floor and (2) Barnes will draw a half dozen double screen plays where Santi is standing around for a wide open jump shot, some of which can be beyond the three point arc, but absent either of this commitments, he'll end up getting pushed and shoved around while trying to get to an open spot on the floor on offense and next year will be just like this year.

The question is who will Barnes allow back probably Santi,JP, B.J. and as bad as you people don't want to hear it JJJ I would like to see these four back

Phillips and Santi in that order, 1A and 1B. It’s close, IMO. I wish JJJ the best of luck but he needs to go while he can before he gets injured again. Git shirts for the rest of them.

I'll take 2 from the portal and Phillips. Ready for new faces and a little more "wanting it". If Phillips goes pro, I'll take 3 from the portal.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Anyone who would not want SV back is insane. With a healthy ZZ and not knowing much about the young ones for next season. But if there are at least two on the floor that can break down the defense along with a legitimate scoring threat in the middle. SV would be taking a lot more open looks. Thats an offense that would look more fluent. And im not sure how this would work but if Phillips comes back and adds 20 pounds imagine how tough he would be possibly playing the four spot at times. I really think we need at least two legitimate 6'3 range guards that can attack the paint and also be 35% or better from 3.

VN Store

Back