Who cares?

The half court offense has never been a stellar hallmark of a Barnes coached team, no slashers, tbe ball spends too much time on the perimeter, need coach Heupel to show them how quick an offense can go.

The only argument they can throw it is "who We GuNna HiRe?!" And it is a valid point. I don't know who we could bring in that would do better, but that doesn't mean we have to ignore his shortcomings.

People need to stop acting like he is a championship level coach. He will get you a couple of conference titals in 15 years, but thats the best it will get.
Oh I know good and well about that counter argument… a tale as old as time

Let's be thoughtful for one second.

1) Kentucky came into this game with everything to lose. They played the best game of the year so far. It's basketball. Even I get lucky playing B-Ball at the Y sometimes.

2) Tennessee was way off this game. Our worst besides Colorado. This won't be normal going forward. I bet we win at Rupp and if we meet in the SEC tourney we will win there as well. We have been doing this with Kentucky over the last several years. 8 of the last 13 and 2 of 3 last year.

3) Layups.

4) This will be a good motivator moving forward. Keep chucking forward and let the season play out. Bama is on the horizon. Correct mistakes.

5) Football. We ripped them a new one on the football field. And that means more to them than this. Promise.

Just think. It was SC that gave UK the motivation to win this game. Thanks again SC! See in Neyland next Fall.

The only argument they can throw it is "who We GuNna HiRe?!" And it is a valid point. I don't know who we could bring in that would do better, but that doesn't mean we have to ignore his shortcomings.

People need to stop acting like he is a championship level coach. He will get you a couple of conference titals in 15 years, but thats the best it will get.

Tennessee historically has never had much success in the NCAA Tournament.

If Barnes can’t get it done, then I’m not sure what other options out there are better.

Barnes has brought stability to this program which we desperately needed at the time.

Reactions: berryvol

And I will take that. I have seen some really bad Tennessee teams.

Let's be thoughtful for one second.

1) Kentucky came into this game with everything to lose. They played the best game of the year so far. It's basketball. Even I get lucky playing B-Ball at the Y sometimes.

2) Tennessee was way off this game. Our worst besides Colorado. This won't be normal going forward. I bet we win at Rupp and if we meet in the SEC tourney we will win there as well. We have been doing this with Kentucky over the last several years. 8 of the last 13 and 2 of 3 last year.

3) Layups.

4) This will be a good motivator moving forward. Keep chucking forward and let the season play out. Bama is on the horizon. Correct mistakes.

5) Football. We ripped them a new one on the football field. And that means more to them than this. Promise.
^^^ This! ^^^

Tennessee historically has never had much success in the NCAA Tournament.

If Barnes can’t get it done, then I’m not sure what other options out there are better.

Barnes has brought stability to this program which we desperately needed at the time.
Sorry, but this isn’t a ceiling of the program issue. This is who Barnes is, we should have all know that when he was hired here, there were plenty of data points to look at. Some are OK with it and some Aren’t.

Sorry, but this isn’t a ceiling of the program issue. This is who Barnes is, we should have all know that when he was hired here, there were plenty of data points to look at. Some are OK with it and some Aren’t.
The program has, quite literally, never been to the Final Four and has only been to one Elite Eight. Barnes own career alone tops these numbers. Barnes has more tournament pedigree than anyone ever hired in the history of the Tennessee basketball program. Maybe you need to reevaluate what your expectations are from the hoops team if you think we should be poaching coaches from better programs that have a history of consistently making the elite 8 and final 4.

If a change is needed and whenever that time comes, it needs to be someone who’s had success in the NCAA Tournament.

Don’t think a young up & comer would be the answer.

Reactions: SDV
This was definitely a big loss and fans have every right to be upset. Season is by no means over, but even if you take away the obvious “Chris Lofton Day” facts, you have now probably eliminated yourself from 1-seed consideration. You know have two ugly losses on your resume from Colorado and Kentucky. And, with how Alabama is playing, you just made it a massive uphill climb to win the conference. All around an awful result with two tough road games coming up.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
This was definitely a big loss and fans have every right to be upset. Season is by no means over, but even if you take away the obvious “Chris Lofton Day” facts, you have now probably eliminated yourself from 1-seed consideration. You know have two ugly losses on your resume from Colorado and Kentucky. And, with how Alabama is playing, you just made it a massive uphill climb to win the conference. All around an awful result with two tough road games coming up.

I know a lot of basketball left but with today I'm not expecting to win the SEC regular season now.

If a change is needed and whenever that time comes, it needs to be someone who’s had success in the NCAA Tournament.

Don’t think a young up & comer would be the answer.
I mean the trend is to usually find an up and comer who has had recent tourney success. It’s been 20 years since Barnes went to final 4. The March results will remain predictable, the hate it cause he’s a good ambassador and good man who cares for his kids, but if it “all about March” well then …

Reactions: VolFreakJosh

The SEC has gotten tougher with Arkansas and Bama making good hires. Missouri isn’t too far off either.

It’s just not going to be an easy road for any team in the SEC for that matter.

The program has, quite literally, never been to the Final Four and has only been to one Elite Eight. Barnes own career alone tops these numbers. Barnes has more tournament pedigree than anyone ever hired in the history of the Tennessee basketball program. Maybe you need to reevaluate what your expectations are from the hoops team if you think we should be poaching coaches from better programs that have a history of consistently making the elite 8 and final 4.
Maybe the program should aspire to more than the first weekend in the tourney? What’s the point if we all say ‘oh well it’s the way it always has been’. The AD doesn’t lack for resources or fan support

The SEC has gotten tougher with Arkansas and Bama making good hires. Missouri isn’t too far off either.

Bamer boat raced this bad UK team. Today was a very bad day for sure. Absolutely sucky on offense and, yes, the refs called every single ticky tack foul. UK got home cooking on the road.......

Nothing is going to be easy, I agree. But from what I have seen from Alabama there are maybe 2 teams in this conference that can beat them. Much like Auburn last year, they will feast most of this season. Nothing I have seen from the rest of the SEC tells me they can help us out and beat Alabama.

This was literally like the 2nd or 3rd game I've even cared to watch all year. No, it won't make me want to watch anymore. This team sucks and we got lucky. Calipari is over the hill. Not even happy about the win today cause it'll just give Calipari something to brag about moving forward when he deserves all the criticism deserved for the last few years.

I think you guys play better without Savir Wheeler. I may not be right but I’ve seen a few games and he solos or goes rogue a lot. I see a lot of guy standing around when he starts dribbling. When they announced that today told my buddy that may be a bad thing for us. Reeves rally had a game. Vols forgot to show up except UP. 43 to 23 rebounds 10 missed layups basically gave the game away.

And Barnes has been to the final 4 once and the elite 8 twice in 35 years. Not exactly a huge step up.

Furthermore, if our expectation is just to make the tourney and be happy that we made the final 64 (maybe even the top 32) then we have a pretty sad basketball program.

Bamer boat raced this bad UK team. Today was a very bad day for sure. Absolutely sucky on offense and, yes, the refs called every single ticky tack foul. UK got home cooking on the road.......

Yes...and South Carolina got boat raced by us and boat raced UK and UK beat us and...

IT'S BASKETBALL. This crap happens all the time.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back