while this game is exciting what does a loss do for the program moving forward?

It seems that fans are hoping for 7 wins. That most likely translates to a victory over Miss or KY. A bowl game, to me, is a big win for JH's first year, so, no there would be no big let down. We can book 6 wins.

However, I think we get the W Saturday night. The Gruden distraction will affect LK. I think they're related some how.

The past two weeks have given our guys some breathing room. I feel like we are playing with house money right now. Nothing to lose. A loss in a game nobody expected us to win a month ago means nothing. Saturday is just about having fun; both for the players and the fans. Relax and enjoy the show!

This game should be a classic and I think we can win but what if we don't? Does it further damage us fans and does program apathy set in deeper?

Not sure who can answer for everyone else. I like the direction Heupel has the program going on the field. We need to see some quality roster additions through recruiting and the portal but there were quite a few predicting UT wouldn't be bowl eligible this year. More than a few counted MU as a loss. There were several excessively negative posters here declaring UT a 4 or at most 5 win team.

Personally, I am more "excited" and satisfied with the coaching than I have been since Cut left the last time. This staff through 6 games has improved this team significantly. IMO they gave one away with Pitt but the adjustments were made. I am particularly happy with the leadership. This staff is leading very well... and leaders on the team are starting to emulate them.

This could have and maybe even should have been a 5-1 team right now.

UT isn't as thin as many claim. However the loss of a few key players could make things a lot more difficult at least until the replacement started coming up to speed. They're working hard to build more depth but it is a race to get it done before they're needed. Looks like Turnage's timing was almost perfect. There's likely a dozen or more at various positions being developed the same way.

This is still a 6-8 win team vs this schedule. They only have to split UK and Ole Miss to exceed most expectations. Win both and Heupel becomes a coach of the year candidate.

Win the games we are supposed to. Maybe win a game or two we aren’t supposed to. Play hard in all of the games. Even if we get down big, don’t stop playing. Continue with player development. I’m already happy with the product we have seen on the field so far, especially the defense. And it’s finally fun to watch UT football again. Scoring points and the defense flying to the ball.

Reactions: VolinMC and sjt18
Competitive win or loss shouldn't hurt the momentum they have started to build.

Blowout loss and it sets them back a little heading into a tough stretch.

Thinking a win and shutting Kiffin up goes a long way toward building more good will.

This game should be a classic and I think we can win but what if we don't? Does it further damage us fans and does program apathy set in deeper?
not much, as the expectation prior to the season was a loss. A win keeps everything moving forward faster than expected. A loss shows where everyone thought we would be.

At this point, it means a lot more for our program if we win than it does if we lose....assuming it's a close game.

Here's to putting together a 4 quarter game so that we can gauge what we need to fix prior to Bama and Georgia in order to take big swings at them.

Reactions: House of Neyland
No. We didn’t expect to win before the season started. My expectations are still set at 6-6. Now, if TN comes out and plays undisciplined uninspired football Saturday, I’ll have some questions.

Reactions: Orange931
Tennessee is not on the same level as ole miss. This is not a game we should win. It's important to keep that in perspective
Going in to the season I would have agreed 100%. But the last 2 games have proven that we can score points. Ole Miss's D will be somewhere in between Mizzous and USCe. It not as bad as Mizzou but not as good as USCe IMO.

Our defense has been the biggest surprise for me this season. They aren't world beaters, but they have been solid. This team is playing with a lot more attitude and confidence than we've seen in a while. I'm not predicting a win. But there's no reason to not go In this game thinking we at least have a chance. I think they have the better quarterback but ours had been playing well. The game probably comes down to which one plays better and doesn't make mistakes/have turnovers.

It would do a lot to settle a score with a lot of fans like me. There is a pretty sizeable part of our fan base that really does not like Kiffen and would love nothing more than to beat him badly.

I think I will predict a Miss. win because I am usually wrong about these important games.

UM 51
UT 48

I'm excited by what I have seen so far this year. The team seems to play hard the entire game. There is an energy in this team I haven't seen in a long time. I hope it continues. I didn't expect such a huge improvement in scoring with the offense and such energy with the defense. If this continues, I will be pleased with the year. Looks like we have a fantastic chance for a bowl game. As long as they play like they have been, I am happy.

Hah, as if we ever went away.

There will always be negavols, no matter what. 1998-99, I still remember two guys arguing about the Vols' defense. One guy saying we'll never finish top-ten with our soft zone, bend/don't break defensive play style (his words, not mine). Every week I'd hear complaints how our play style was eventually going to cost us games. To be fair, it almost did a few times, but we went 13-0. Still, there was no satisfying some people.

Is this a serious question? No apathy doesn’t set in deeper, I would suspect that most fans if they are being honest didn’t think we would even come close to being bowl eligible this season after the way it started. I also believe that most fans don’t expect UT to win on Saturday but will be pleasantly surprised if they do. Anything over UT winning a bowl game would be exceeding expectations for this season

Reactions: Vol_in_NC_1999
A loss would hurt the momentum we have going into the 4 game stretch. Bama, Bye, UK & UGA. If we come through with a win and no major injuries. I see this team pressing forward to an 8 win season. A loss would mean probable 6&6 which is what I predicted pre-season.
This game IS part of the 4 game stretch. No one expected to win any of these 4 games. If we win one of them than we have exceeded expectations.

Reactions: Vol_in_NC_1999
Win or lose, I am happy with the progress of the team so far. I am leaning we win with a better defense. And if we lose, the worst part is the posts coming next week about how we should have gone after Kiffin again as a coach, blah, blah, blah.

I suggest it would depend on how the loss occurs. If we line up and get beat because they have more or better players, that's one thing. But if we turn the ball over, have sloppy penalties, poor clock management, bad game day coaching errors, poor player play across the board, or beating ourselves, that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Damage? No

Highlight the need for a great recruitment year? Yes

71 Scholarship players, those 14 players could mean the difference is a W. I am proud of these young men that stuck with UT and CH. It should only get better.
Where is everyone getting 71 scholarship players? UT is showing 80. More importantly in what game does a team use over 70 players? I may be wrong but I think you can only take 70 players if youre a road team in an SEC game. Even in a blowout you would have to play 4th stringers to play over 70 players. Didnt Hooker play the whole game vs S Car? How many plays was Cade Mays on the bench in our hurry up offense? I could see if we had 25 starters out where an occasional 4th teamer may make a play. We have at least 20 scholarship players that never see the field. The NFL plays games with 53 players. It's hard to believe that 4th stringers make the difference in a W or L. Here is our depth chart for Saturday's game. Barring injuries many of these will not see the field. So who are these 4th stringers that will make the difference?

Attachments

• wp-content.jpg
    wp-content.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 3

VN Store

Back