while this game is exciting what does a loss do for the program moving forward?

No no no! You can’t erase the last two games with a loss even a bad one. We have seen the proof of improvement and the plan for success. the Hype Vols are fun to watch. The Vols havent been fun to watch since 2001. Yes 2001. Fulmer ball was not fun to watch most of the time. Hype ball is fun just like coach says.

Ole Miss is ranked and we aren't but we're only 3 point dogs. That says a lot about the job Heupel is doing with an undermanned roster in year one. Of course we want to win but a close loss shouldn't hurt the momentum of the rebuild. There are a certain number of fans that are bandwagon and they aren't going to show up until we are playing for an eastern division championship but there are some of those with every program.

Lots of hype and attention on Ole Miss this year, so this game is a win - win situation as long as the team puts up a fight. Lose and it can be attributed to attrition and year 1, and sold that with <insert the recruit's name here> we could have won. Win and it can be used as proof to those recruits that UT is getting things started.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
Honestly most ppl myself included had written this game off as a blow out a few weeks ago. Heupel is beating the teams he’s supposed to. Ole Miss would be the biggest win to date. I don’t think a loss means anything honestly, Ole Miss should be favored if Kiffin is even a decent coach at this point in his time there.

Ole Miss isn't Bama, UGA or UF. They are like the rest of the teams in the middle, media darlings one day, garbage the next.
Exactly. Only reason I think OM could win this game and just might is our depth. If someone wants to put them on a different level, it would be fair to put them 1 level higher than us on a 25 level scale.

I would be more surprised than not if the Vols win, so a loss obviously dampens the morale and excitement built up to this point, but a loss more or less simply indicates where the Vols are as a football team. One thing that sticks out in my mind though as we head to Saturday: The Vols are playing currently the #13 ranked team in the country and are only a 3.5 point underdog depending on which Vegas odds you look at. That says a lot in how far this program has come in the last few weeks. A LOT.

If we lose, it just makes the KY game that much more important. Even if we go 6-6…this thing seems to finally be on the right track. You can visibly see the upward trajectory of this program, the improvement week to week and the overall attitude of this team. Even 6-6 would be an admirable job with our roster and lack of scholarship players.

I don't necessarily agree that it brings out the negvols......But more like realisticvols. While I do like to see what we had in the first half against SC, the second half was pathetic and will kill us if we play like that during this stretch we have. IF they put together better effort and a better game and still lose......I can accept that.......Because I know we will be better next year. I don't expect 7-5 or 8-4 this year but I do next year (or better).

Yes to this. While there are some posters on here who are consistently negative, some are just trolls I think and deserve the Negavol label, being realistic does not mean you are a Negavol. There seems to be a confusion with some posters on this that if you post something perceived by them as negative then you are a negavol.

Speaking for myself and maybe some others, I can be a realisticvol sometimes and a positive sunshine pumping vol sometimes, but the fact is I am a TN VOL FAN both ways. And no losing this game should not bring out the negative comments in masses that some of you expect. Realistvols know the difference when TN plays well and loses.

Reactions: spencer1989
Tennessee is not on the same level as ole miss. This is not a game we should win. It's important to keep that in perspective

After the Pitt game, I would have agreed with you but we don't look like the same team that lost that game. Ole Miss has a slightly better offense and we have the better defense at this point. This will be our toughest test so far this season so we'll see what happens.

This game should be a classic and I think we can win but what if we don't? Does it further damage us fans and does program apathy set in deeper?

I think only more and key injuries would turn this game into something ugly (for us). Depending on how the third stringers have grown in understanding and development, we're close to the tipping point on injuries changing the competitiveness of this team.

But as long as fans are seeing effort, I think this team continues to get solid support.

I'm becoming more concerned now about the effect of the economy on attendance than fan interest or COVID fears. Too many people are still not working, despite the employment opportunities. The stay-at-homes may be financially secure at a subsistence level, but disposable income they have not.

Hopefully this sellout game will break the ice and past attenders will realize they're missing a historic best-show-in-town opportunity.

As long as we look competitive, a loss does no damage. It’ll be disappointing but we are not favored anyway. If we don’t take a step backward visually we are still on track. All many of us have asked is to develop, improve, beat the teams we should beat, and compete when we lose.

A loss does much more damage to the perception of Old Piss and Kiffin, than a loss would do to us. The pressure is all on the other sideline.

This game should be a classic and I think we can win but what if we don't? Does it further damage us fans and does program apathy set in deeper?

Damage? No

Highlight the need for a great recruitment year? Yes

71 Scholarship players, those 14 players could mean the difference is a W. I am proud of these young men that stuck with UT and CH. It should only get better.

At the beginning of the year, most were counting this as a loss. We will be ok either way. It will hurt, but it's getting us back out in front of the cameras and on the National spot light.

I still think we win this one as well as KY/

So you are saying "any news is good news".
Well that can be true, if (and this is a big if) the game is announced with the right slant on our situation. Let it be "colored" in the negative and it will not help at all.

So you are saying "any news is good news".
Well that can be true, if (and this is a big if) the game is announced with the right slant on our situation. Let it be "colored" in the negative and it will not help at all.
We were never expected to win it...still aren’t. A loss is not going to change that perception, except with those that want it to.

Reactions: peerless98
The only thing that could hurt this season is a loss to S Alabama or Vandy IMO. Most pundits had us at 5-7 and some fans even said 4-8. A bowl game and even competitive losses against Ole Miss, Bama, Georgia and UK is above expectations. I still say we beat Kentucky though.

It brings out the negavols.

And they are waitng ...going over their typing points now...planning to spew their i told you so's...their heart rate is slightly elevated...eyes starting to dilate...they know their time is soon...and if it starts Saturday their relief will be immense..

If they have to wait until Bama week...they are going to be even more miserable than normal.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
We were never expected to win it...still aren’t. A loss is not going to change that perception, except with those that want it to.

I think you did not understand what I posted.
I made on claim of win or lose. I simply addressed what was in the post that I responded to. My response to his post had nothing to do with how the game ended, just the way it was called by the announcers and the perception they leave.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
And they are waitng ...going over their typing points now...planning to spew their i told you so's...their heart rate is slightly elevated...eyes starting to dilate...they know their time is soon...and if it starts Saturday their relief will be immense..

If they have to wait until Bama week...they are going to be even more miserable than normal.
Lol it speaks volumes which regular posters haven’t posted the past two weeks 😂

Reactions: peerless98
I think you did not understand what I posted.
I made on claim of win or lose. I simply addressed what was in the post that I responded to. My response to his post had nothing to do with how the game ended, just the way it was called by the announcers and the perception they leave.
I know...not attempting to be argumentative, but I don’t believe that will have any adverse effect. Our perception is low, as are the expectations. Any negative press only goes to embolden those who want to have a low opinion of the staff or team. Too many good things happening around our perception right now for one game to have too much effect. I fully expect the Heupel detractors to have a field day over the next month no matter what...because the results of the last two games are unlikely to continue, win or lose.

Reactions: savannahfan

VN Store

Back