While the bad loss to MSU will not drop the Vols below a #2 seed.

Looking at the bright side—nobody got hurt, and it might make us hungry.

When ZZ hit two threes and mashack was getting hot, I don’t understand putting Dalton back in. I love his confidence, but he was cold all day. As soon as he came back in he launched a long 3, bricked it out of bounds, and the game was over after that.
You can be hungry all you want but if you have no money(shooters) to buy food(wins), you still starve.

This team will only go far if 2 people other than DK steps up as scorers.

You can be hungry all you want but if you have no money(shooters) to buy food(wins), you still starve.

This team will only go far if 2 people other than DK steps up as scorers.
How will you get a ride (assists) to the store (turnovers) without a car (offensive rebounds)? You might still lose (3-second violation).

Both games, this one and Kentucky, showed our opponents how to beat this team= punch us in the mouth early and get a little lead, watch us panic. Kentucky did it hitting 3's and MSU just played tough defense and never let us get going. We don't play good when we're the favored team
When we don't bounce back it shows we're weak mentally. A softness that Barnes coached teams seem to show in the post-season every year.

Vescovi is broken, JJJ plays like he's afraid of something, and Aidoo is physically outmatched down low much of the time. I'm amazed we had as good a season as we did. I'd say our ceiling is 2nd round unless Knecht gets on a heater.

We don’t intimidate anybody. There’s not a player on the roster that plays like he’s about to hurt your feelings. That ZZ is the closest thing we have to an intimidator says a whole lot. On the contrary, we are easily intimidated. A few missed shots or blocks going to the basket send us into turtle mode. It’s a really weird intangible to be worried about as a 2 seed. Even the right kind of 15 could give us fits.

What? We were in line for a No.1 seed---and now we almost assuredly aren't, after that crapfest. So, yes, it meant a helluva lot toward
seeding. We could had Iowa State as the 2 seed out West, potentially. That's a helluva lot better matchup than facing UConn, Houston or Purdue, one of which we're now going to get--IF we get to the Elite Eight game, which of course is a huge IF as we've moved into stink-up-the-joint territory.
We won the tournament 2 years ago and it changed nothing. TAM was on the bubble and finished 2nd, NIT bound. They have the brackets set before the 1st game starts and only change for automatic bids from non qualifying schools. They could publish the brackets right now.

Vescovi is broken, JJJ plays like he's afraid of something, and Aidoo is physically outmatched down low much of the time. I'm amazed we had as good a season as we did. I'd say our ceiling is 2nd round unless Knecht gets on a heater.
Early on we're needing a basket really bad and Vescovi gets open and takes a shot that hits the backboard. I hope he gets his mo jo back for the tourney .

Reactions: jdogvol
No 15 seeds have a dominant big man or are really athletic. We’re a team built to handle 15 seeds. 7, 8, 9, 10 seeds would give us trouble
Plain and simple if we can’t score, and our D travels we will not get past S16 at best. If we can score, we have a chance to have a special tourney. Tough thing is I feel like I’ve seen this play before.

Looking at the bright side—nobody got hurt, and it might make us hungry.

When ZZ hit two threes and mashack was getting hot, I don’t understand putting Dalton back in. I love his confidence, but he was cold all day. As soon as he came back in he launched a long 3, bricked it out of bounds, and the game was over after that.
and neither of those guys could find their ass when we had a chance to win

Thats our trouble. Got a bunch of guys who can hit when it doesnt mater

I don’t understand all the negativity about the season being over. Most I’m sure is just knee jerk reaction and being pissed about today. But you guys have a really good team, and that’s very likely by far the worst your guys will ever play.

Tough loss, it’s hard to swallow bc TN is a much better team than MSU. Just not today bc well shite just happens sometimes. You guys played very uncharacteristically like crap everywhere for most of the game and MSU shot almost 60% from the floor and completely dominated the paint. I certainly didn’t see it coming.

Hopefully this game and the KY game is the kick in the pants needed. Today’s game was tough to watch but it isn’t indicative of how y’all’s team normally plays. The defense usually plays much better and you guys always shoot much better. Just a really bad day against a team that had a very good day.

Good luck in the Tournament. I honestly think you guys will do well.

A Final Four and all is forgotten.

Wow, with what we say today??? And that isn't the first time. Teams have decided to stop DK, and nobody else will beat them. They are right. I'm just kicking myself for not betting Msu, knowing UT-10 was not happening.

Reactions: vol94
It may drop them below the highest #2 seed and that would move them into a Purdue/UConn/Houston bracket. Even if the Vols and Santi/JJJ somehow come out of their offensive funk of the last two games playing themselves into a lower #2 seed may make any hopes of a Final Four much much harder. So yes this tourney loss may very much matter.
We were never going to be the 2 seed in the west. 0% chance that was ever even an option. It’s not a snake selection.

When we don't bounce back it shows we're weak mentally. A softness that Barnes coached teams seem to show in the post-season every year.

It’s ONE game. This team showed incredible mental toughness down the stretch to win the regular season title.

If anything, this letdown is not all that surprising given how tough and critical those final four games were.

I was disappointed by todays performance, too, but we have to hope that it pisses all of them off and they use the extra rest to reset mentally for the real tournament.

It’s ONE game. This team showed incredible mental toughness down the stretch to win the regular season title.

If anything, this letdown is not all that surprising given how tough and critical those final four games were.

I was disappointed by todays performance, too, but we have to hope that it pisses all of them off and they use the extra rest to reset mentally for the real tournament.

Except we already had the letdown against UK. So I guess we need 2 wake up calls since we slept through the first one.

The match ups are more important than the seeding.
In 2010 we were a 6 seed and upset the 2 seed to make the elite 8. Luck was on our side as the 1 seed was also upset matching us with the 5 seed for advancement to the final 4. Still it was not lucky enough as we lost by 1 point. Its hard to win 4 games much less 6.

If your shooting is terrible, as ours was in the first half, then you damn well better play good defense--but we didn't come close
to doing that either. Awful on both ends of the court--and that's how you fall behind by 20 at the half.

We HAVE to play good, hard-nosed defense, or we will not last long in the dance.

Reactions: VOLtaism

VN Store

Back