Which system would you like to see at UT?

I may be wrong but didn't Majors bring Walt Harris in to completely revamp the offense? Seems to me I read where even into the 2000's Fulmer's and Cutcliff's offensive scheme was still based upon what he brought here.

Reactions: kbear01
Ah, a fellow fan of the Madden system. A steady dose of Mark Van Eeghen, and play action, downfield to Branch, Casper and Biletnikoff (Did I spell that right?). I used to love to listen to Madden poke fun at the West Coast Offense, and all the short passes.
Personally, I loved what David Cutcliffe did offensively. He loaded up his o-line with big, nasty, evil men. His TE's were very versatile, blocking and receiving. A great mix of receivers. Some big, some fast, some athletic, and some were all three. His RB's ran hard, physical, and were relentless. Most were capable of taking it to the house, on any defense. His FB's (Amsler, Poles, Mose Phillips) were big, physical, nasty, versatile, and athletic. At last, his QB's were smart, tough, confident in, and committed to the system. With an attitude of "We will break you".
It was a very balanced attack, that could destroy defenses methodically, or immediately. You just had to pick your poison. Make them drive the length of the field, and hope that penalties, mistakes a turnover, or a missed FG by Greg Burke, saved your ass.
Cut underutilized the TE position until his second stint at UT...and now.

Reactions: Remy and kbear01
I may be wrong but didn't Majors bring Walt Harris in to completely revamp the offense? Seems to me I read where even into the 2000's Fulmer's and Cutcliff's offensive scheme was still based upon what he brought here.
You’re not wrong.

Reactions: kbear01
1983-88. We went away from the old semi-option attack, and to a more pro-style, spread offense.

Reactions: ksgovols
I’d be willing to take the risk if things don’t work out with Pruitt. Leach has successfully taken Texas Tech and Washington State out of cellar dweller status. He’d need top notch recruiting coaches though because he doesn’t care much for that aspect.
Your last sentence is the main reason I don’t want Leach and was glad when Fulmer killed that deal. You can’t win in the SEC if you aren’t a relentless recruiter. And assistants won’t mask that.

Kendal Briles version of the air raid. It's just fun to watch. Believing every play can score a TD, putting up 60 points regularly. I still believe as bad as they and their head coach are, FSU will have a better offense than us. Briles's offense with Pruitt's defense, man that would have been special.

I thought Al Saunders rebuilt the offense in 82 and then Walt Harris took over in 83. Saunders and Harris were on the same coaching staff at Cal. Saunders only lasted a year before the NFL came calling and he was O.C. in the Air Coryell years. Fulmer and Cut both ran versions of that offense for years.

Just a little off-season fun...

If you had to choose a system for Tennessee to run, what would it be and why? Preferably, something we haven't ran here.

I'm torn between an Air Raid and the Triple Option. I honestly believe those two systems with SEC caliber players would shake up the SEC for a couple of years. I think the triple option would be super hard to beat with SEC talent. GT usually has a decent football team and opposing defenses know their philosophy but still have a tough time defending them. I know these offenses don't attract the nation's top talents but now you see Oklahoma using a varied version of the Air Raid to major success...and we know recruits have noticed.

This is not me saying Pruitt should've went a different way because I'm extremely happy he went out and got JC.

What system would you choose?
The triple option is a good option for teams like GA Tech, but I don't see them working for an SEC team. GA Tech works the triple option well because they play an ACC schedule and weak non-conference opponents. If you try to employ that game plan they would be decimated by injuries. The SEC just has too many dominant and imposing defensive linemen and linebackers. There are defensive backs in the SEC that would be starting linebackers in the ACC. The strategy sounds interesting, but I don't think it would work with the strength and size in the SEC.

The air raid offense would work if the offensive line was comparable with OU. The problem with that is the need for stellar QB play and recruiting that we just don't have. We will see how well that system works this year with Jalen Hurd playing at OU. I see some struggles for OU with a less than Heisman quality QB.

Triple option is shite against good defenses. Air raid is fun, but I'm not convinced it would work in the SEC.

If you had intelligent players, the run and shoot offense would be cool. Or maybe more of a west coast style offense, but I do agree that we should adapt our offense to our playmakers' strengths.

Alex Smith's last year with the Chiefs, I thought was awesome. I don't know what you'd call that offense, but they used a lot of 12 personnel... balanced run/pass with lots of screens, and they'd do that little play where he'd pitch the ball to Travis Kelce and he'd run it inside.

Follow the research and analytics. Stop with the cliches and adages from the 1940s. "stay ahead of the chains" "ball control" "only 3 things happen when you pass, and 2 of them are bad"

It is like setting economic policy off what your grandma told you about putting nickels in your piggy bank and dollars under your mattress...stupid.

Yep. Walt Harris installed it and Majors and then Fulmer kept it.

I just want tough, smash mouth football that sets up down field, play action passing.
Agreed. Versatile, pro style offense that pushes the ball downfield in the passing game, with a strong, power smash mouth running game. You know, like Tennessee did in the late 80s, all through the 90s and most of the 00s.

The REAL Wishbone...Not that version you see GT running but the one Oklahoma used to run and dominate with...With the right personal in place it would be unstoppable.

The REAL Wishbone...Not that version you see GT running but the one Oklahoma used to run and dominate with...With the right personal in place it would be unstoppable.
Oklahoma? Freaking Bama ran it and ran it down a lot of folks throats.

Edit: OK started using it mid-season 1970, Bama started the season with it in 1971. Texas invented it and taught it to Bear Bryant in a 1971 coaching clinic.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back