Where is the player development?

Agree. Players need motivation to compete. Speaks to player leadership IMO. I struggle recently with Vescovi. He just shouldn't be getting the playing time he is getting. As a high school starting point guard in SW VIrginia, I am no way able to understand the level of competition he is going up against, but there are so many openings he misses. He isn't a true floor general and should really be playing the 2 guard. I find myself screaming at the screen and losing my mind over the defensive liability that Vescovi is. He has gone up against some mediocre talent at PG in the SEC and just doesn't have the speed. No offense to the kid, I mish him well, but he shouldn't be our starting PG.

Reactions: VollerNbham
You can teach them and ask them but it's still up to them. If it was easy as the players doing what the coach wants them to do every team would be good.
Hence you sit them on the pine, Barnes isn’t doing that enough

When has Tennessee ever had the highest paid coaches in football and basketball? Lol
I'm not sure where you're going with your question. Paying $5m for a bball coach should include higher expectations, right? Or no? Do we have to have the highest paid coach to expect better than .500 conference records?

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
First, we all have to acknowledge the extraordinary nature of the last offseason and how it impeded coaches and players from being able to do the things they would normally do and in the same manner to develop (SV and ON weren't even in the country as I recall). I feel quite comfortable asserting that CRB is elite in developing players based on his resume so this post seems myopic to me in all transparency but let's set aside the preseason and C19.

To start, I am not sure how you can really say Pons has regressed given his draft stock was always predicated on his defensive abilities and athleticism all of which he still clearly possesses. From a development standpoint, he needed to show improvement in his 3-pt shooting this season which is actually worse compared to prior years. Maybe it is just me, but I have always considered shot development to be largely predicated on the individual player's dedication to put up the volume of shots that are required. Having said that, his 2pt %, FT %, steals, blocks, turnovers, and points per conference game have all improved on a per 40 min basis.

Fulky has "regressed" this season but hard for me to see how anyone could use as a 3-star out of high school who had a season ending injury (some thought career ending) become an All SEC player under CRB's development yet ignore that to somehow make a case that CRB sux at player development...lol. As I stated in another post, ignoring that we heard he contracted C19 just before the season and what we have all seen with him constantly grabbing his wrist in pain (plus who knows what else) while blaming it on CRB's lack of development is dubious at best.

Regarding JJJ, I think a fair assessment is that he has definitely improved (his conference per 40 min stats show improvement in 2pt %, rebounding (which we desperately needed), turnovers (from 3.1 to 1.3) and steals) but he definitely has room to grow with a higher ceiling. Plus, I see a growing floor general and team leader in addition to aspects of his play which do not show up on the stat sheet (e.g., wearing down smaller players, altering shots, etc...).

Vescovi is suffering the proverbial sophomore slump IMO...the tape is out and teams know how to go at him on both ends of the court. Having said that, his per 40 in stats for conference games do show some improvement (improved 2pt %, rebounds, and turnovers) while 3pt % is relatively the same. Very interested to see how he develops over the next year.

Not sure how you can really evaluate Gaines and Pember given how little they have played due to there being better players ahead of them. IMO one or both could contribute some meaningful minutes here before it is over if they stick around.

Plavsic is fair to criticize as a project that has not worked and likely will not work. So, 20/20 hindsight would obviously say we should have went after someone else (but that also has risk of success which many seem to ignore).

Anosike has only been here a short time but disregard that for the moment...would have preferred Cardwell but not sure he was really going to come here. Could we have pursued another big...sure...but Anosike was worth the bet IMO based on his resume, the interest he was shown by other big-time programs, and our need. Unfortunately, it has not panned out and it looks to me like he lacks the athleticism which is hard to develop at this stage for him.
One of the best posts I have seen in quite some time on this board.

WTH is going on over there on the hardwood? Barnes is getting paid $5M a year and here is what I have seen from our players with regards to player development so far:

Pons- regressed from an NBA pick to maybe the G league if he’s lucky
Fulkerson- regressed from an All SEC player and Wooden Award nominee to a player that spends More time on the floor from getting knocked around than he does on the boards
JJJ- decent player but really just the same player he was last season as a freshman
Vescovi- regressed from last year
ON- maybe the most improved vs. last season but still not good enough to be a major contributor
Gaines, Pember, Plavisc, Anosike- no development at all. None whatsoever. Nothing more than glorified bench cheerleaders at this point of their careers

Barnes needs to start taking responsibility for the pedestrian effort this team has given so far this season. To come out and play with little or no effort and enthusiasm against KY on your home court is inexcusable and Barnes first words after the game yesterday should have been an apology to the fans who attended.
I would say that is on them trying to do things that help them get to the next level instead of doing what is asked of them. They have been developed if you watched last year and know anything about basketball you would know that

Reactions: GBOx2
I would say that is on them trying to do things that help them get to the next level instead of doing what is asked of them. They have been developed if you watched last year and know anything about basketball you would know that
Lol, so it’s the players fault. You sound like Rick Barnes

First, we all have to acknowledge the extraordinary nature of the last offseason and how it impeded coaches and players from being able to do the things they would normally do and in the same manner to develop (SV and ON weren't even in the country as I recall). I feel quite comfortable asserting that CRB is elite in developing players based on his resume so this post seems myopic to me in all transparency but let's set aside the preseason and C19.

To start, I am not sure how you can really say Pons has regressed given his draft stock was always predicated on his defensive abilities and athleticism all of which he still clearly possesses. From a development standpoint, he needed to show improvement in his 3-pt shooting this season which is actually worse compared to prior years. Maybe it is just me, but I have always considered shot development to be largely predicated on the individual player's dedication to put up the volume of shots that are required. Having said that, his 2pt %, FT %, steals, blocks, turnovers, and points per conference game have all improved on a per 40 min basis.

Fulky has "regressed" this season but hard for me to see how anyone could use as a 3-star out of high school who had a season ending injury (some thought career ending) become an All SEC player under CRB's development yet ignore that to somehow make a case that CRB sux at player development...lol. As I stated in another post, ignoring that we heard he contracted C19 just before the season and what we have all seen with him constantly grabbing his wrist in pain (plus who knows what else) while blaming it on CRB's lack of development is dubious at best.

Regarding JJJ, I think a fair assessment is that he has definitely improved (his conference per 40 min stats show improvement in 2pt %, rebounding (which we desperately needed), turnovers (from 3.1 to 1.3) and steals) but he definitely has room to grow with a higher ceiling. Plus, I see a growing floor general and team leader in addition to aspects of his play which do not show up on the stat sheet (e.g., wearing down smaller players, altering shots, etc...).

Vescovi is suffering the proverbial sophomore slump IMO...the tape is out and teams know how to go at him on both ends of the court. Having said that, his per 40 in stats for conference games do show some improvement (improved 2pt %, rebounds, and turnovers) while 3pt % is relatively the same. Very interested to see how he develops over the next year.

Not sure how you can really evaluate Gaines and Pember given how little they have played due to there being better players ahead of them. IMO one or both could contribute some meaningful minutes here before it is over if they stick around.

Plavsic is fair to criticize as a project that has not worked and likely will not work. So, 20/20 hindsight would obviously say we should have went after someone else (but that also has risk of success which many seem to ignore).

Anosike has only been here a short time but disregard that for the moment...would have preferred Cardwell but not sure he was really going to come here. Could we have pursued another big...sure...but Anosike was worth the bet IMO based on his resume, the interest he was shown by other big-time programs, and our need. Unfortunately, it has not panned out and it looks to me like he lacks the athleticism which is hard to develop at this stage for him.
Nice recap of player development. Anosike was a huge mistake by Barnes and staff. Would have preferred to see them take Mac McClung vs. a big that doesnt contribute. I think it would be a completely different season had they done so since we would have a go to scorer

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Kentucky has more talent than any team in the SEC, they are just now getting it together. Calipari is good at getting 5 stars to play hard and together. Tennessee is inconsistent , young, and lacking confident.

You can’t coach leadership. It’s on the players. Barnes has had multiple post game press conferences where he said the players aren’t doing what the coaches are asking of them. Missouri game is a prime example. He said they went over exactly what not to do against that trap, and yet the players dribbled and passed into those “no-no zones”. The biggest issue with this team is that there are no leaders to hold the other players accountable. Pons and Fulkerson are suppose to be the leaders but I have yet to see it. They are too reserved and don’t assert themselves. Same issue we had last year. Bowden was suppose to be the senior leader but he was better served as a role player on the previous teams. Grant and Admiral weren’t afraid to get on other players and that’s what this team is missing.

Reactions: Lurker
To put who in? And that's has nothing to do with player development really that's coaching decisions.
As a coach you really only have control over a few things and playing time is one of them, I don’t care if he puts the water boy in you’ve got to sit players that are hurt enough they can’t play or players that aren’t playing hard. Or you’ve got to recruit players that can play and develop them to be productive, I.e. don’t waste scholarships especially on transfers that can’t play

Last season we were listing Fulky and and Pons as an example of Barnes ability to develop average players into good players.

While JF definitely doesn't seem like he is as good as he was last season, I really believe the teams problems with consistency has more to do with a lack of a facilitator on offense and a physical presence with length at the post defensively. So to me, it's a roster issue more than a development issue. Vescovi is never going to be quick and threatening with dribble drives, Anosike will never be able to be a physical presence because of his lack of length, Fulky is at his best as a junk/effort player and not a go to guy.

With all this said, JJJ's lack of development has been concerning IMO. I still think we're a good team, but definitely not as good as I thought we'd be.

Reactions: Hbg
WTH is going on over there on the hardwood? Barnes is getting paid $5M a year and here is what I have seen from our players with regards to player development so far:

Pons- regressed from an NBA pick to maybe the G league if he’s lucky
Fulkerson- regressed from an All SEC player and Wooden Award nominee to a player that spends More time on the floor from getting knocked around than he does on the boards
JJJ- decent player but really just the same player he was last season as a freshman
Vescovi- regressed from last year
ON- maybe the most improved vs. last season but still not good enough to be a major contributor
Gaines, Pember, Plavisc, Anosike- no development at all. None whatsoever. Nothing more than glorified bench cheerleaders at this point of their careers

Barnes needs to start taking responsibility for the pedestrian effort this team has given so far this season. To come out and play with little or no effort and enthusiasm against KY on your home court is inexcusable and Barnes first words after the game yesterday should have been an apology to the fans who attended.
I dunno for me it’s hard to concur with the notion that a player that has played that well hasn’t been coached to the point where they know how to do that. There are new Freshman that came in and expected to be coached up and that has probably been Barnes’ focus. He has always been kind of the guy who picks a guy or a few and focuses on them but hasn’t won the big one. But again, if they’ve already hit that point it’s on them for regressing IMO.

I may be wrong and often am but I’ve wondered all season if there is some animosity from returning players towards the incoming 5 star freshmen.

I may be wrong and often am but I’ve wondered all season if there is some animosity from returning players towards the incoming 5 star freshmen.

Have you seen anything that would indicate that? I haven’t seen or heard anything of the type.

Agree, however, isnt it the coaches responsibility to coach the players to do what he wants them to do? I never hear Barnes take any blame after a loss
He ALWAYS blames the players. I’ve stated multiple times this is NOT a good look, You can chew on them as much as you want in the locker room or on the floor. You cannot do so to the media after every game.

Reactions: 1985Vols
Which is what I’ve been saying. That Barnes recruitment of post players is abysmal. Fulk would be freed up if he could play the 4 and we had a true 5 to bully and rebound.
It doesn’t matter when he has good post player...... Barnes teams always seems to leave people expecting..... it is what happened at Texas..... I hope he can figure it out.

Not hating on him but if you look at Fulk, I believe coach has developed all that can be developed out of a moderately athletic, short (for position), slight, moderately skilled local playing post in the SEC. When he and and Pons (yes I know Pons can jump but he is still 6,6) are your inside presence, you have no true PG and your shooter's are all streaky this is what you get. Fulk is a scrambler/junk ball guy, but not the focus of a top 20, SEC team. I blame Barnes in recruiting more than development. Our current team top 7 includes 6, 2s/3s and 1, 4(four). Not sure next year looks much better other than the obvious PG situation. Fulky could come back but he needs about 20lbs of bulk to play the way we need him to play. Pons has developed a little bit of a shot but I can not remember him driving to the basket at all this year. Not sure who is to blame for that. The 2 Freshmen are progressing well in my opinion, Vescovi is doing what he can being placed out of position. JJJ has become a pretty good rebounder but is obviously still inconsistent on offense. If we had either a true PG or a true 4/5 than everyone would look a hell of a lot better. Fulk might be first team SEC with a functional 5 in the lineup.

It’s ALWAYS on the coach. Ultimately, he recruits them and it’s up to his staff to develop. This staff is better recruiting, but they miss Lanier on the development side. I’d also question the S&C as this team gets bullied. Even Pons who looks like a beast, isn’t as strong as he needs to be.

Still time to pull it together, but I see way too many problems to make a serious run.

If I could give you another like i would. Lanier is the missing piece.

VN Store

Back