Where is the player development?

1985Vols

WTH is going on over there on the hardwood? Barnes is getting paid $5M a year and here is what I have seen from our players with regards to player development so far:

Pons- regressed from an NBA pick to maybe the G league if he’s lucky
Fulkerson- regressed from an All SEC player and Wooden Award nominee to a player that spends More time on the floor from getting knocked around than he does on the boards
JJJ- decent player but really just the same player he was last season as a freshman
Vescovi- regressed from last year
ON- maybe the most improved vs. last season but still not good enough to be a major contributor
Gaines, Pember, Plavisc, Anosike- no development at all. None whatsoever. Nothing more than glorified bench cheerleaders at this point of their careers

Barnes needs to start taking responsibility for the pedestrian effort this team has given so far this season. To come out and play with little or no effort and enthusiasm against KY on your home court is inexcusable and Barnes first words after the game yesterday should have been an apology to the fans who attended.

WTH is going on over there on the hardwood? Barnes is getting paid $5M a year and here is what I have seen from our players with regards to player development so far:

Fulkerson- regressed from an All SEC player and Wooden Award nominee to a player that spends More time on the floor from getting knocked around than he does on the boards
JJJ- decent player but really just the same player he was last season as a freshman
ON- maybe the most improved vs. last season but still not good enough to be a major contributor
Gaines, Pember, Plavisc, Anosike- no development at all. None whatsoever. Nothing more than glorified bench cheerleaders at this point of their careers

Barnes needs to start taking responsibility for the pedestrian effort this team has given so far this season. To come out and play with little or no effort and enthusiasm against KY on your home court is inexcusable and Barnes first words after the game yesterday should have been an apology to the fans who attended.
Pons is hurt.
fulkerson is hurt
JJJ is hurt

this isn’t a national championship team but you need to find something else to complain about. UK is starting to find themselves and will be a rough out in the SEC tournament.

Reactions: amorange
Somethings are just not on the coach but on the players. We've seen what coach can do so I wouldn't point the finger there.
It’s ALWAYS on the coach. Ultimately, he recruits them and it’s up to his staff to develop. This staff is better recruiting, but they miss Lanier on the development side. I’d also question the S&C as this team gets bullied. Even Pons who looks like a beast, isn’t as strong as he needs to be.

Still time to pull it together, but I see way too many problems to make a serious run.

How much did you lose on the game? We all knew legal gambling in Tennessee was a bad idea.

It’s ALWAYS on the coach. Ultimately, he recruits them and it’s up to his staff to develop. This staff is better recruiting, but they miss Lanier on the development side. I’d also question the S&C as this team gets bullied. Even Pons who looks like a beast, isn’t as strong as he needs to be.

Still time to pull it together, but I see way too many problems to make a serious run.

Vescovi (75) should not have more defensive rebounds than Pons (67). We just don't have real post players. Walker and Burns were not going to help either if you look at their respective contributions this year at Nebraska and Winthrop. Pember will just be a tall guy walking by you at the restaurant.

Agree, however, isnt it the coaches responsibility to coach the players to do what he wants them to do? I never hear Barnes take any blame after a loss
You can teach them and ask them but it's still up to them. If it was easy as the players doing what the coach wants them to do every team would be good.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Look at Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina they are having terrible seasons, so do you believe it's because of lack of player development.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Vescovi (75) should not have more defensive rebounds than Pons (67). We just don't have real post players. Walker and Burns were not going to help either if you look at their respective contributions this year at Nebraska and Winthrop. Pember will just be a tall guy walking by you at the restaurant.
Which is what I’ve been saying. That Barnes recruitment of post players is abysmal. Fulk would be freed up if he could play the 4 and we had a true 5 to bully and rebound.

Agree, however, isnt it the coaches responsibility to coach the players to do what he wants them to do? I never hear Barnes take any blame after a loss
Who really cares? Jeremy Pruitt started every press conference after a loss with some variant of “it’s my fault” and it didn’t save him. Coaches don’t have an obligation to grovel at the feet of the fanbase every time they lose a game.

Reactions: The Dog
Which is what I’ve been saying. That Barnes recruitment of post players is abysmal. Fulk would be freed up if he could play the 4 and we had a true 5 to bully and rebound.

This has some merit but then again Fulky played the 5 last year as well. I just wonder if we must play Plas out of desperation to see if Fulky can perform better at the 4 position. I have my doubts.

When has UT ever been the highest paying football or basketball job in the SEC?[/QUOTE
I have no idea. I know he's the highest paid coach on campus and one of the top 5 in the US, although he has more excuse makers than any of our other coaches. It's comical.

Somethings are just not on the coach but on the players. We've seen what coach can do so I wouldn't point the finger there.
At this point something is out of norm. We've witnessed in the past, year after year, most of our players improving from year to year...........G.Williams, Schofield, Alexander, Bone, even Fulky and Pons until this year. Bowden and Turner didn't improve their senior year but Lamonte had a bad shoulder. Staff changes, better highly rated recruits and Covid interference. Some teams simply come out better than others due to this virus impact.Too many unexpected changes happening too quickly and it appears to be impacting our youth like a major disruption.

I feel like James has stayed about even par or improved while Fulky, Pons, and Vescovi's game has dropped off. I was definitely hoping for a blow-out against UK and now any expectations I had as far as tournaments go are almost non-existent.

This has some merit but then again Fulky played the 5 last year as well. I just wonder if we must play Plas out of desperation to see if Fulky can perform better at the 4 position. I have my doubts.
True, and we weren’t going to make the tourney.
Fulk isn’t well. He’s lost weight and is injured and Barnes seems oblivious to it. Tells us he’s fine when he grabs his wrist in pain numerous times. No question he fatigues and doesn’t have the quickness and bounce that allowed him to get around bigger players last year.
That would only way that would work is if you had a strong 5 and that’s not Uros. He needs to stop the curls, work on lower body and footwork.

First, we all have to acknowledge the extraordinary nature of the last offseason and how it impeded coaches and players from being able to do the things they would normally do and in the same manner to develop (SV and ON weren't even in the country as I recall). I feel quite comfortable asserting that CRB is elite in developing players based on his resume so this post seems myopic to me in all transparency but let's set aside the preseason and C19.

To start, I am not sure how you can really say Pons has regressed given his draft stock was always predicated on his defensive abilities and athleticism all of which he still clearly possesses. From a development standpoint, he needed to show improvement in his 3-pt shooting this season which is actually worse compared to prior years. Maybe it is just me, but I have always considered shot development to be largely predicated on the individual player's dedication to put up the volume of shots that are required. Having said that, his 2pt %, FT %, steals, blocks, turnovers, and points per conference game have all improved on a per 40 min basis.

Fulky has "regressed" this season but hard for me to see how anyone could use as a 3-star out of high school who had a season ending injury (some thought career ending) become an All SEC player under CRB's development yet ignore that to somehow make a case that CRB sux at player development...lol. As I stated in another post, ignoring that we heard he contracted C19 just before the season and what we have all seen with him constantly grabbing his wrist in pain (plus who knows what else) while blaming it on CRB's lack of development is dubious at best.

Regarding JJJ, I think a fair assessment is that he has definitely improved (his conference per 40 min stats show improvement in 2pt %, rebounding (which we desperately needed), turnovers (from 3.1 to 1.3) and steals) but he definitely has room to grow with a higher ceiling. Plus, I see a growing floor general and team leader in addition to aspects of his play which do not show up on the stat sheet (e.g., wearing down smaller players, altering shots, etc...).

Vescovi is suffering the proverbial sophomore slump IMO...the tape is out and teams know how to go at him on both ends of the court. Having said that, his per 40 in stats for conference games do show some improvement (improved 2pt %, rebounds, and turnovers) while 3pt % is relatively the same. Very interested to see how he develops over the next year.

Not sure how you can really evaluate Gaines and Pember given how little they have played due to there being better players ahead of them. IMO one or both could contribute some meaningful minutes here before it is over if they stick around.

Plavsic is fair to criticize as a project that has not worked and likely will not work. So, 20/20 hindsight would obviously say we should have went after someone else (but that also has risk of success which many seem to ignore).

Anosike has only been here a short time but disregard that for the moment...would have preferred Cardwell but not sure he was really going to come here. Could we have pursued another big...sure...but Anosike was worth the bet IMO based on his resume, the interest he was shown by other big-time programs, and our need. Unfortunately, it has not panned out and it looks to me like he lacks the athleticism which is hard to develop at this stage for him.

Last edited:
Players have to want it. Sometimes these guys do and other times they just don't. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut leader in the bunch.

Reactions: Hbg

Your evaluation of the players is spot on, I agree wholeheartedly, however there are a select few on here that will absolutely defend players like fulkerson just because of what they have done in the past. (Volnvandyland to name just one)

Reactions: LoudOrange
Pons is hurt.
fulkerson is hurt
JJJ is hurt

this isn’t a national championship team but you need to find something else to complain about. UK is starting to find themselves and will be a rough out in the SEC tournament.
Define hurt? If they are “hurt” enough to not contribute next man up, it’s time to own the crappy play by upperclassmen

VN Store

Back