Where do we stand with Mizzou?

leftygray

Living outside of Vol territory, I often have people ask me, "so how will Tennessee do this year?" I usually give the same response - "if we finally start winning the games that we are supposed to, I think any realistic fan will be happy."

What I mean by this is that if we can win the non-conference games, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and USCe- we would be 7-5 and I would be fine with it. Whenever I explain this to people, I never know what classification to put Mizzou in though.

Are they a team that our program should expect to beat? I want to say yes, but history does not seem to indicate that to be true. I don't think any fan expects us to beat UGA, Alabama, or Florida typically. If we happen to beat them, it's great. If we lose to them, it's kind of expected. I don't feel like Mizzou belongs in that category, but I also don't think they belong in the Vandy, UK, USC category.

Additionally, I just saw where one website predicted Mizzou to finish 11-1 this year. I don't know enough about them, but is this realistic? What should I be expecting going into this game? I really don't know what to think about UT - Mizzou at this point.

We get a bye and while they play UGA before us. Couple that with it being the end of the season and their bowl ban motivation will be a factor. Also I think they're overrated based on what they loss this past off-season, we beat them soundly.

back in the day, Mizzou sure knew how to screw up the Orange Bowl of old. IMHO, Mizzou is equal to T A&M type teams and come 9/1 will let me know if we have a chance in not being the SEC cellar dweller !

Here's what I know. We need to return to the days of beating,Vandy S Carolina and Mizzou consistently. Until that happens we are a bottom tier, middle of the pack program. Not what people want to hear, and certainly not what I thought I would ever live to see but that's where we are.

I guess we "should" beat them if you subscribe to the "we are Tennessee notion." However if you live in reality, out of seven games, we have beat them 2 times.

He's probably looking at each program's respective history extending beyond the most recent seven seasons since, and this is going to seem crazy, that's how most people use the word "historically."

We have not done well against them since they joined SEC E and that should be the only history that matters when comparing the 2 teams. They have beaten us badly the last 2 yrs and have won 2 SEC E titles since Vols have. As another poster said, the reality is we just have not done well against them and yes its time to change that. They do have a good program and are not bottom feeders as some here want to make them out to be.

He's probably looking at each program's respective history extending beyond the most recent seven seasons since, and this is going to seem crazy, that's how most people use the word "historically."
Ok, but that wont win you any games. Historically, is our program a "better program" than mizzou? Of course. But head to head 2-5....and thats the only thing that really matters.

If the Vols can cover and play well in space we’ll be fine.

Don’t get caught up thinking Kelly Bryant is Drew Lock

Kelly B is definitely not Drew L, but he has a different set of tools. Remember, he is something like 17-2 as a starter, and was injured early in one of those.

He can convert 3rd and 6 with his legs if he gets outside the pocket. He is also very good at the zone read. "Not Lock" isn't necessarily "Not dangerous".

He would still be Clemson's starter if they hadn't recruited a generational QB line Trevor L.

They are 24-26 their last 4 years. They have won 10+ games in a season 6 times in the last 100 years with 5 of those happening the last 12 years. They are not an elite program and probably not ever going to be elite.
Yet sadly, they have completely owned us since joining the sec.

Reactions: 08Vol and Zues1
Well, the Missouri is one long river. The walking bridge between Omaha and Council Bluffs is interesting. The state? St. Louis is a hospitable town. They smoke some tasty ribs, but that stuff on the pizza may not be real cheese (What is provel, anyway? It starts with 'P,' just like plastic). The university has had some issues with diversity and fairness.

Their football program has been around since 1890 and has a winning lifetime record (.546). They've been conference champions 15 times and have a losing bowl record (15-18). Long time coach, Gary Pinkel brought them into the SEC. Their record under his leadership was better than their historical average: 191 - 118 (.618) and 6-4 in bowl games. They last three years under current coach, Barry Odom, Mizzou has been 19-19, losing both of their bowl games. Lifetime, Missouri is 5-2 vs Tennessee, having played each year since 2012. Mizzou won their first 3 outings against Tennessee, then dropped two to the Joshua Dobbs led Vols, before winning the last two meetings by the same score of 50-17.

If Tennessee football is restored to its historic norms, then we may expect the Volunteers to accumulate a winning record against Missouri. A nice start towards that would be a victory in Columbia this year. After all, the Vols need to win five more than Mizzou in the coming years just to break even.

Kelly B is definitely not Drew L, but he has a different set of tools. Remember, he is something like 17-2 as a starter, and was injured early in one of those.

He can convert 3rd and 6 with his legs if he gets outside the pocket. He is also very good at the zone read. "Not Lock" isn't necessarily "Not dangerous".

He would still be Clemson's starter if they hadn't recruited a generational QB line Trevor L.

If it doesent go well he’ll quit like he did at Clemson.

VN Store

Back