Where do we go from here?

I've been thinking about my original post and if you had to force me to pick a lineup today, I would stick by it. Here are my thoughts on the roster allowing for a little more flexibility.

6 players have proven themselves and deserve the bulk of the minutes: Powell, Jackson, Franklin, Horston, Key, Darby.

3 players have proven to my eyes that they are not ready and I wouldn't play them anymore unless there is vast improvement: Miles, Wynn, Edie. (I haven't seen Edie but I think she falls here anyway.)

That leaves 6 players in limbo: Puckett, Suarez, Walker, Hollingshead, Pissott, and Striplin.

Puckett - has not been very good this year but I still believe in her based on the strength of her play last season and overall versatility. Could her dropoff be because she was playing 21 min/g last year and only 9 min/g this year? Bottomline, I'd like to see her get back to at least 15 min/g because she is a cog. She comes in, plays within herself, doesn't screw up or want to take all the shots, and she rebounds and runs the court well. Good teams need to have a few cogs.

Suarez - has not been very good this year but I still think she could eventually contribute significantly. At some point, you have to pick Puckett or Suarez because there are not enough minutes for both. Statistically, Puckett played much better last year than Suarez did two years ago. Plus, I think Suarez tries to do too much. Sometimes I think she is trying to be Luka Doncic out there, and while she does have some craftiness, I'm not comfortable with her out there in anything other than a blowout situation.

Walker - I'm honestly ready to write Walker off. TO machine, can't shoot, suspect decision-making. Does rebound and play decent defense, but I think we would be better off developing the younger players early in the season. If they can't get the job done go back to Walker. Because with Walker, you already know what you're getting.

Hollingshead - clearly has some skills, she actually shoots and handles the ball quite well. For this year I would encourage her to dominate the boards. In the future, I could see her becoming a double-double machine. The ceiling is really high and I think she should get more minutes.

Pissott - I'd like to see a lot of her in the next 2 games. I can't really say anything more than that because she has played only 17 minutes and I think I've only seen about 3 of them.

Striplin - I think she has a strong future but not this year. Barring injury, there is just too much in front of her.

There's a lot of room to debate these 6 so I'd be interested to read what others think and what I might be missing in my observations.
Totally agree with this and we need three more to go with that six and right now Puckett, Hollingshead, and Walker or Miles since we need another point guard in the thing just five to 8 minutes though limit damage as much as possible.

It's a joke to even be discussing Bracketology this early in the season. Charlie trying to be relevant.
It is, much like the football playoffs until a few weeks in. Getting bounced potentially out of the Top 25 this early is cause of concern.

It just means the media is taking notice and realizes if we don’t improve we won’t make it in. It’s just the hard truth. I still think it’s a real possibility we won’t, but I’m hoping for a miracle. And if we don’t make it, I think changes need to be made in the words of Evina Westbrook.

It just means the media is taking notice and realizes if we don’t improve we won’t make it in. It’s just the hard truth. I still think it’s a real possibility we won’t, but I’m hoping for a miracle. And if we don’t make it, I think changes need to be made in the words of Evina Westbrook.
And the judgment games on the horizon to be played- UConn, SC, Stanford and SEC play.

WE have 25 games left and tourneys. 18 wins gets you in the NCAA no problem. We just need to win some games have 16 home games left and 7 road games so win 14 at home and split the road games and that is at least 17 plus two is 19 wins were in. I think were going to win about 22 games in the regular season at least that seems to be how many were going to be somewhat of the favorite. Thus far we've lost two games where we were the favorite and two where we were the underdog. We were one point favorites over Indiana and three point favorites over Gonzaga. We were rated the underdog in games vs Ohio State and UCLA.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
WE have 25 games left and tourneys. 18 wins gets you in the NCAA no problem. We just need to win some games have 16 home games left and 7 road games so win 14 at home and split the road games and that is at least 17 plus two is 19 wins were in. I think were going to win about 22 games in the regular season at least that seems to be how many were going to be somewhat of the favorite. Thus far we've lost two games where we were the favorite and two where we were the underdog. We were one point favorites over Indiana and three point favorites over Gonzaga. We were rated the underdog in games vs Ohio State and UCLA.

20-22 wins at this rate would be a good finish

It's a joke to even be discussing Bracketology this early in the season. Charlie trying to be relevant.
It is totally ridiculous and irrelevant. Why do this other than to further embarrass Tennessee (and I guess Texas, too)

Current projection by Charlie Crème has TN out of the ncaa tournament.
View attachment 516929

If a team has a sub .500 record then they are not considered in his bracketology. So if we had a 1-2 record with 1 point OT losses to UConn and Stanford followed by a 50 point win against South Carolina, we would not even be considered for this bracketology. Kind of stupid in my opinion. Near mid season I can understand not including teams sub .500.

I just want us to continue to improve as a team. It will work itself out by the end. Always does.

As far as coaching goes, the AD will do what he needs to do on his timetable. Kellie has lifted the program from the time she arrived and I'm positive she will get the opportunity she deserves......just like she is giving her bench the opportunities to show her what they can do.

Sorry some don't get the instant gratification they feel they deserve. There are more things to this team than some want to realize. We've got a lot of people making suggestions unfortunately they don't have hardly any of the information they need to consider. Anyone can make suggestions but are you fixing root cause or just making noise to denigrate?

The theory I have on the team is that there were to many stories and press clippings about how great they were and how they had so much talent that they bought into that and became a little to relaxed in games. When you do that a while hard to get it back, but they came a long way in that last game. I now expect that same intensity for the rest of the season we'll see what happens.

Hoping Justine gets in a game soon...
I know she is young, but it would be fun to watch her shoot...
Yes but Coach needs to run plates to get her open shots, actually she needs to do that for all our 3 point shooters. They just stand behind the line waiting for a pass instead of getting screens to get open.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
There is common theme in all 4 losses. We have played 4 skilled offensive teams that can shoot from 3 line. All 4 teams at this moment are already playing at peak performance. All have sweet 16 capabilities. In all losses giving these teams 2nd shots has been detriment to winning but this can and will get better by our Lady Vols. Tennessee Texas and Louisville Top 10 teams struggled in Bahamas but by end of year all 3 will have a chance at Sweet 16 or even more. The top 10 players Coach is looking for will play itself out and rotation fixed. We could be Lsu at this moment undeadfeated blowing bad teams out and know nothing of our weaknesses. I as a fan will cheer on my Team throughout this year and allow things to play out. Go Lady Vols. In CHRIST Alone

There is common theme in all 4 losses. We have played 4 skilled offensive teams that can shoot from 3 line. All 4 teams at this moment are already playing at peak performance. All have sweet 16 capabilities. In all losses giving these teams 2nd shots has been detriment to winning but this can and will get better by our Lady Vols. Tennessee Texas and Louisville Top 10 teams struggled in Bahamas but by end of year all 3 will have a chance at Sweet 16 or even more. The top 10 players Coach is looking for will play itself out and rotation fixed. We could be Lsu at this moment undeadfeated blowing bad teams out and know nothing of our weaknesses. I as a fan will cheer on my Team throughout this year and allow things to play out. Go Lady Vols. In CHRIST Alone

Well said.

VN Store

Back