Where are all the posters who complained when Dave Hart hired Rick Barnes as our basketball coach?

I liked the hire initially but I'll admit I had concerns after Year 2 since I was not sold on the recruiting. I also admit I was wrong
That was me too. Now I understand he's recruiting guys that he thinks will thrive on criticism and his HARD coaching style regardless of stars. Also think he's a master at evaluating potential in the talent category.
He's only missed on 2 and one of those was a late addition at the end of the recruiting season.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Tennessee basketball is having a great season. And instead of the OP enjoying that, he is trying to pick a fight with fellow Vols' fans over something that doesn't even matter now.

I don't think anyone cared who was hired at that point, the program was in ruins. Makes it an even more amazing story about how fast Rick has turned things around without an influx of 5 star players to assist. It would have been a great storyline with some top named players but without them its more in the miracle category. The sportscasters will be all up in this story come tournament time after he wins COY.

Reactions: Dr H Lecter
I'll gladly admit I was wrong about Barnes. I didn't go nuts about the hire mainly because of his age. I was under the impression he was here for a paycheck until he retired. Quite a few other people felt the same. Remember... he was FIRED from lil ut for a reason. His resume is nice but not overwhelming.

But... I'm glad to see that he is very much dedicated to this program and doing a great job!! Glad I was wrong!! Men's bball is about the only thing UT has going right now.

Ok, I admit. I was wrong. I thought Barnes came here to pad his retirement, etc. And while I liked the Grant Williams signing (SEC has long history of physical 6-6 guys being good) I wasnt that impressed with his initial recruiting.

Hell, if some of you "star gazers" would think about it, this team shouldnt be anywhere near where they are. Often some of you quote recruiting rankings of our football opponents and say "Tennessee has more talent cause we have 45 4 or 5* players compared to 21 for West Virginia". Well that same logic would state that Tennessee basketball isnt very talented and that simply isnt true.

Doubt you’ll get many to admit it. Revisionist history is alive and well at Volnation. In fact I remember a thread about a month ago with somebody telling me I was flat out wrong and only a couple didn’t want CRB. I remember reading some of those post back then and wondering how some of these guys found there way home at night. Be careful OP. You’ll be accused of holier than thou, do gooder, blah blah if you’re not careful...LOL...just glad he’s our coach NOW despite those (unkowledgeablies ??)..:):)

Ill be your huckleberry, when UT hired Barnes I was excited, proven coach, developer of talent, significant NCAA experience and had been to a final 4. After year 2, I was down on him and then started to think he was here for a retirement check. His recruiting was subpar, his teams played uninspired (IMO) and there did not seem to be any upgrade to the team heading into year 3. But he transformed that team in year 3 and they played harder, smarter and develop a mean streak of confidence that has transitioned into this season. We have a special basketball team now, enjoy every game! I am all in!

Reactions: calban and 508mikey
Rick Barnes also completely changed who he is as a coach. The coach that was at Texas would not be having the same success as he is now

I thought he would come in and recruit really well, stabilize the program from a free fall and we’d have a bunch of X-8 seasons, making the tournament every year.

And I was totally on board for that.

And it’s just been even better than I had imagined. And totally different.

Instead it’s exactly as you said, totally different approach that has paid off big.

Rick Barnes also completely changed who he is as a coach. The coach that was at Texas would not be having the same success as he is now
I think Barnes is the same coach now as he was then. We all evolve and hopefully change for the better as Father Time marches on. As far as the statement that he "completely changed" vs. what he was at Texas is a curious claim.

Young coaches are taking a beating in this league. Experienced coaches matter more than upper-classmen players imo - look what Frank Martin did to Mike White at FL and Drew Whazizname in Nashville last night.

Rick Barnes has the know-how to win championships and the TX firing added fire to his belly. A win-win for us, bigtime.

Several times. Whenever someone feels like making a "I'm a better fan than you" thread
This right here is so accurate. Why does every fan have to feel the exact same way when it comes to supporting the Vols. Some people didn’t like the hire at the time.......who cares. Being a fan is not pass or fail people.

Reactions: vols 30
Wasn't it Basilio and his band of idiots that kept saying Barnes had been given the "Golden Parachute" by UT and that he was too lazy to recruit, already retired, blah, blah, blah. Seems like that noise died down about this time last year.

Always easier to throw out crap like that to his dozens of callers than it is to do actual show prep.

I wonder how many of those basketball posters who complain about Dave Hart hiring Barns as our basketball coach have changed their minds. I thought he was a good hire at the time and think we really lucked out to get him here. Thanks to Texas for firing him and Hart for getting him.
all most people cared about at that time was that Big Orange basketball wasn't going to be placed on some sort of sanctions from the NCAA over Donnie T's antics at Southern Miss. CRB was a very safe hire and as it turns out a wonderful hire.....I don't believe anyone on this site thought he and Lanier would coach them to this height. Oh what a beautiful run it has been

Reactions: cardvolfan
I said in the other thread, I didn't hate the hire but I was worried he was past his prime; and I complained about his recruiting in the past.

I admitted I was wrong several times...... But its not enough for some

VN - where admitting you were wrong or changing your mind is a sin
It's enough for me @vols 30. U tell it like it is or at least how u think it is. U are usually right more than wrong, and u own it, when u are wrong. I appreciate it, whether anybody else does

Reactions: vols 30
I wonder how many of those basketball posters who complain about Dave Hart hiring Barns as our basketball coach have changed their minds. I thought he was a good hire at the time and think we really lucked out to get him here. Thanks to Texas for firing him and Hart for getting him.
Why bring this up in the first place? I don’t get it. He’s here and is having success....why rub someone’s nose in it? Especially fellow Vol fans.
We’ve been through a lot, so I think rather than throwing poop at each other, have a little grace and just enjoy the fact that we have a solid b-ball coach and once in a lifetime team.

VN Store

Back