Where’s Jalen Johnson?

WE started out 3 for 18........... I don't think they were tired............ for SOME reason..........we couldn't hit NOTHING! I'm not smart enough to know why.
Six months off between games or so it seemed, couldn't have helped. Terrible scheduling.

He showed exactly why he doesn’t, and shouldn’t, see the court last night against Cincinatti. Makes a stupid and lazy defensive mistake not battling through a pick on their best shooter leaving him absolutely wide open. That really sparked Cincy’s run and they led from then on pretty much. Unless he’s making 3s, and his jump shot looks terrible currently he missed a wide open jumper from the free throw line badly, he literally provides nothing. He actually hurts the team with careless turnovers and weak defense when he does see the floor. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit the transfer portal soon, and we won’t be any worse because of it.

He showed exactly why he doesn’t, and shouldn’t, see the court last night against Cincinatti. Makes a stupid and lazy defensive mistake not battling through a pick on their best shooter leaving him absolutely wide open. That really sparked Cincy’s run and they led from then on pretty much. Unless he’s making 3s, and his jump shot looks terrible currently he missed a wide open jumper from the free throw line badly, he literally provides nothing. He actually hurts the team with careless turnovers and weak defense when he does see the floor. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit the transfer portal soon, and we won’t be any worse because of it.

Hitting the transfer portal now makes zero sense for a player in a 9 man rotation that has his degree.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Hitting the transfer portal now makes zero sense for a player in a 9 man rotation that has his degree.

The fact he has his degree makes it even more likely he hits the transfer portal imo. He’s barely even in the rotation at this point anyway.

The fact he has his degree makes it even more likely he hits the transfer portal imo. He’s barely even in the rotation at this point anyway.

If he transfers, it will happen AFTER the season. Doing it now means he'll play zero minutes for the remainder of his junior year.

Pretty soon you will be seeing him on milk cartons...COMPLETELY MIA. WHO IS GOING TO SCORE MORE THAN 14 POINTS IN A GAME ON A REGULAR BASIS ?

Johnson is not good defensively, doesn't bring anything good offensively, has had opportunities in games and practices, and just can't produce. I feel bad for him, but it is what it is.
I don’t think that’s exactly it. He has tools offensively, but as another poster said, I think he is snakebitten and is scared to make a mistake.. The dude can absolutely stroke the ball.

Its also a common theme of Barnes teams that he doesn’t like guards and forwards slashing at the basket. We rarely attack the basket, and when someone does, they are benched.

I don’t think that’s exactly it. He has tools offensively, but as another poster said, I think he is snakebitten and is scared to make a mistake.. The dude can absolutely stroke the ball.

Its also a common theme of Barnes teams that he doesn’t like guards and forwards slashing at the basket. We rarely attack the basket, and when someone does, they are benched.
Where have you heard that? I have never heard that. Does that come from Barnes himself?

Where have you heard that? I have never heard that. Does that come from Barnes himself?
No one has said this, but it’s evident watching Barnes’ teams. Only players I can recall attacking the basket have been Ives Pons (except this season), Turner and sometimes Bone.

We settle way too often for jumpers or throwing to a big man (this year Fulk). Now Fulkerson gets doubled and we can’t make a team pay if we miss a 3. We need slashers.

Jalen johnson had a pretty good showing today. He held his head down pretty low. It didn’t look like he was enjoying himself.

No one has said this, but it’s evident watching Barnes’ teams. Only players I can recall attacking the basket have been Ives Pons (except this season), Turner and sometimes Bone.

We settle way too often for jumpers or throwing to a big man (this year Fulk). Now Fulkerson gets doubled and we can’t make a team pay if we miss a 3. We need slashers.

Jalen johnson had a pretty good showing today. He held his head down pretty low. It didn’t look like he was enjoying himself.

Is anyone on this team enjoying themselves right now? I mean I would think getting blown out at home by a 6-5 Wisconsin team wouldn't be much fun. Nor the multiple below 50 point totals.

Because it’s all motion and little pick and roll. It’s not super conducive to attacking the basket

Because it’s all motion and little pick and roll. It’s not super conducive to attacking the basket

Motion does not mean, you don’t attack.....Barnes’ motion offense “relies” on attacking the basket as much as they do other things......at least the threat of it. Passing, and attacking is the majority of how they want to gain open shots.

The early guard dribble drive.
The chaser switch
The hard cut off the pick or switch (to the basket)
The high or low post and cut or dump off

All of these are major parts of Tennessee’s motion and all require “attacking” the basket.

Tennessee simply isn’t getting it done.

He was 3 for 6 with two threes and a three-point play slashing, and 6 rebounds. Better than most yesterday!

He was the best. Heck, I'd let him start over Bowden. At worst, you bring in Bowden a few minutes in. Maybe Bowden will feel more comfortable coming off the bench.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back