Where’s Jalen Johnson?

We have 4 players averaging double figures. Don't see anyone named Nobody on roster. Who you referring to?
PS Can't play much better on D.
D is outstanding. The guys are playing hard. Effort is outstanding. I just don't think Tennessee is going to hold good offensive teams down all the time. Tennessee is going to need some consistent offense from somebody. If there is a chance Jalen can help then he needs to figure out a way to get him comfortable on the floor and playing with confidence. I would like to see him play the freshman more too. At least 10 minutes a night. Tired players miss shots.

D is outstanding. The guys are playing hard. Effort is outstanding. I just don't think Tennessee is going to hold good offensive teams down all the time. Tennessee is going to need some consistent offense from somebody. If there is a chance Jalen can help then he needs to figure out a way to get him comfortable on the floor and playing with confidence. I would like to see him play the freshman more too. At least 10 minutes a night. Tired players miss shots.
What do you mean by consistent? we've had one game where we shot below 30%. we've lost 2 games and one of those we gave away with TOs. We beat Washington and VCU, so what do you mean by consistent?
PS Our freshmen are averaging 10 minutes a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
What do you mean by consistent? we've had one game where we shot below 30%. we've lost 2 games and one of those we gave away with TOs. We beat Washington and VCU, so what do you mean by consistent?
PS Our freshmen are averaging 10 minutes a game.
Offense is not consistent. What were they 4 for 28 from three. that is not a bad night. That is just awful. I don't think they are getting 10 minutes a night in meaningful games. Hopefully they will start to play better and I can step away from the ledge. LOL.

Pretty simple really. I get what '85 is trying to say but, based on what we have seen from CRB and his ability to develop players, JJ not getting a lot of leash at this stage of his career says all you need to know about the player (at least as of now, hope he can figure it out and flip the switch).
Which further speaks to the drought in recruiting up until this year.

Jalen Johnson looks like a guy that’s playing to not make a mistake. I guess he’s been pulled for missing shots and defensive assignments so many times that he is snakebitten. Hopefully he gets some shots to go down and builds some confidence, because we need someone to step up and provide some scoring off the bench. He has the ability he just has to play the game and stop thinking so much.

Reactions: TMvol10
Offense is not consistent. What were they 4 for 28 from three. that is not a bad night. That is just awful. I don't think they are getting 10 minutes a night in meaningful games. Hopefully they will start to play better and I can step away from the ledge. LOL.
Correct. They are getting minutes against bad opponents.

Strikes me as a guy that has given up on himself. So much talent in HS and virtually no effort when he hits the floor. Barnes talks sometimes about still having to coax Fulky out of the utility guy role into being a starter, so you know he has to be pleading with JJ to bring it.
Johnson is not good defensively, doesn't bring anything good offensively, has had opportunities in games and practices, and just can't produce. I feel bad for him, but it is what it is.

And injured players with bad shoulders miss a lot of shots.

Whats going on with him? He seems like he’s in the dog house.. Even when he gets on the floor, all coach wants from him is to play D and shoot 3s.. I remember watching his highlights thinking he was going to be a great slasher (taking it to the hoop ;)).

He shoots the ball well, has a crazy wingspan, and seems like he’s a team player. I don’t get it. Has he not improved at all since he’s been here?

Admiral even tweeted saying we need more Jalen Johnson! (The tweet is deleted but read more here
Can't play and has no motor. Should have already hit the transfer portal but for some reason hasn't. We have now wasted a scholarship on this guy for 4 years.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him enter the transfer portal. Saw where he is graduating this semester. Not getting to play now, pickings look even slimmer next year with Johnson, Springer and Walker coming in and Bailey being eligible to play.

Last edited:
He only played 2 min against both FSU and Memphis. But against VCU I thought he looked ok. Would be good to see more of him. He’s always had a good looking 3 and lord knows we need that this year.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Tennessee has plenty room for a nonproductive player. Nobody can throw it in the ocean. So how is this going to work. Two good years and one sh**ty year. I don't think this team is going to make it to the NCAAs unless it starts playing better. He needs Jalen to play better. What happened last year don't mean squat.
The expectations were actually much lower this year than the team is playing. Players that were really good in support roles are being asked to lead this year and are not stepping up to the challenge. JJ is not performing in any aspect of the game right now. I am sure he has been told if he does not do X or does Y, he will be pulled from the game. Could explain the quick hook. No D, no play; bad turnover, no play, out of position, position is bench. That is what I have seen from CRB to this point. I am sure CRB wants JJ to "get it" It is entirely up to Jalen Johnson to get there.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Unfortunately for JJ, he is just not physically strong enough to play at this level. He gets bumped around easily and has a very loose handle. He is not quick enough to guard a wing and not strong enough to guard a post. He cannot help it - it's genetics.

Never got this kids appeal........I'll continue to say it. He has no business playing major college bball....he's an average 3 pt shooter, he's never hit a 3 when it really mattered, hes soft, a liability on d, he's scared to death when hes being pressured when he's dribbling, he doesn't rebound, he's not a timely passer.......why are there still people that still wonder why he's not contributing? He's not good!! D. Gaines or Pember should get every one of his 1-3 minutes per game.

Reactions: iVolSoHard
Tennessee has plenty room for a nonproductive player. Nobody can throw it in the ocean. So how is this going to work. Two good years and one sh**ty year. I don't think this team is going to make it to the NCAAs unless it starts playing better. He needs Jalen to play better. What happened last year don't mean squat.

You’re posting as if this team wins 16 games and misses postseason play, right now most project them as a ~20 win NCAAT team...if/when your expectation plays out then revisit, when it doesn’t I’m sure you’ll be first in line praising the job Barnes did.

WE started out 3 for 18........... I don't think they were tired............ for SOME reason..........we couldn't hit NOTHING! I'm not smart enough to know why.

Reactions: walkenvol
4/13 is his stat line from 3point land. I would assume if he decided to drive towards the basket instead of chucking up a 3 he would play more. He seems to settle with shooting 3’s and hoping it will go down... Turner will miss a bunch of layups but he’ll draw a foul

Reactions: iVolSoHard

VN Store

Back