When will Mike Leach get a big job?

And yet he has taken a team with the last 3 recruiting classes ranked 50th, 43rd and 41st into the top 10. Yea, who in heir right mind would want a coach like that. Especially at a place that can land top 10-20 classes fairly easily just on facilities alone.

But go ahead and hate on the guy because is different. At least we dont have to worry about CJP speaking his mind and embarassing the AD or big boosters...

Let's look at Leach's recruiting:

2012 (1st year) - 58th (12 in Pac)
2013 - 50th (10th)
2014 - 53rd (8th)
2015 - 42nd (8th)
2016 - 56th (10th)
2017 - 44th (9th)
2018 - currently 45th (9th)

He has taken these guys to 8 wins over top 25 teams and looking to get WSU to its first ever Pac-12 conference championship game. The guy can coach and win with lesser talent, I was really hoping we'd hire him when the news broke but sadly we didn't. It will be interesting to see if he'll get a top job someday, I'd like to see what his air raid would look like with 4 and 5 star talent running it.

Let's look at Leach's recruiting:

2012 (1st year) - 58th (12 in Pac)
2013 - 50th (10th)
2014 - 53rd (8th)
2015 - 42nd (8th)
2016 - 56th (10th)
2017 - 44th (9th)
2018 - currently 45th (9th)

He has taken these guys to 8 wins over top 25 teams and looking to get WSU to its first ever Pac-12 conference championship game. The guy can coach and win with lesser talent, I was really hoping we'd hire him when the news broke but sadly we didn't. It will be interesting to see if he'll get a top job someday, I'd like to see what his air raid would look like with 4 and 5 star talent running it.
That would require recruiting it first. Now go back and look at those recruiting numbers again

I've always loved Leach (and the AirRaid in general), and TBH I was ecstatic when I went bed this past year thinking I was going to wake up to the Pirate being our new coach. I think Pruitt has been a really good hire, and I do think he'll be able to have success here if the early returns are any indication.

However, the thought of JG running that scheme and tossing the ball all over the field to our current crop of receivers along with Chandler out of the backfield does make me sit and wistfully think "what if" haha

I was just thinking about Mike Leach and how he has Wash St in the top 10 when nothing was really expected from them this year. The guy overachieves and just wins. He was the guy I really wanted during the coaching search. Dont get me wrong, I think Pruitt was a good hire, but I cant help but wonder where we would be if the pirate was in Knoxville now.
I won't lie I wanted him at UT too...Exciting offenses, Even better press conferences...He would've been a cult figure here and bring back some fun to UT football for sure...Sad we didn't get him.

VN Store

Back