When our quarterbacks transfer from UT, they do not have football success.

Look we all love Dobbs around here, he was fun to watch and is a good ambassador for UT.
Making an NFL roster is quite an accomplishment.
Dobbs has been given the opportunity to be the #2 guy in Pittsburgh on several occasions. He just cannot take the spot.
Tomlinson is a Dobbs fan, but once Ben is gone Tomlinson might be gone as well.
I'm not bashing Dobbs, I just don't see him as a long term starter in the NFL.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Look we all love Dobbs around here, he was fun to watch and is a good ambassador for UT.
Dobbs has been given the opportunity to be the #2 guy in Pittsburgh on several occasions. He just cannot take the spot.
He gets his 7 years in He will be a okay.

Reactions: Zues1
Of course there have been others. Brandon Stewart had a decent career at A&M. Of course, how you define success matters but, like anything in life, it’s a mixed bag of results. Some excel, some stink, most fall between.
His success got the 1998 team into the NC game.

Could have looked worse….Chris Simms almost came here—and no telling how many more who ended up at other places failing to fulfill their potential and meet fans’ expectations.
Ken Dorsey looked elsewhere once Chris Simms commited. Worked out well for Ken

John Rattay never worked out once Casey took over and he left to go back home to AZ

His success got the 1998 team into the NC game.
We were going to the NC Game anyway. We weren't going to be overtaken in polls. We were still #1 in the BCS. A&M knocked Kansas State out of the playing us for the NC. There were 3 teams undefeated heading into the last week of the regular season. Florida was #4 in the BCS and FSU was #5.

FSU beat Florida the final week of the season, and then the last week Miami beat #3 UCLA (I can't remember why they were playing that week, but they played the same day as the SEC CG) and A&M beat Kansas State. The most ironic part is that before the upsets, everyone was talking about a possible rematch with Spurrier in the NCG because FSU had Outzen at QB. Most pundits thought Florida was the best team in the country despite us beating them in September. However, they lost to the same Marcus Outzen QB'd FSU that we ended up playing in the BCS Title Game.

Reactions: rocytop2624
We were going to the NC Game anyway. We weren't going to be overtaken in polls. We were still #1 in the BCS. A&M knocked Kansas State out of the playing us for the NC. There were 3 teams undefeated heading into the last week of the regular season. Florida was #4 in the BCS and FSU was #5.

FSU beat Florida the final week of the season, and then the last week Miami beat #3 UCLA (I can't remember why they were playing that week, but they played the same day as the SEC CG) and A&M beat Kansas State. The most ironic part is that before the upsets, everyone was talking about a possible rematch with Spurrier in the NCG because FSU had Outzen at QB. Most pundits thought Florida was the best team in the country despite us beating them in September. However, they lost to the same Marcus Outzen QB'd FSU that we ended up playing in the BCS Title Game.
Hurricane makeup game. Same sit that led to Travis Stephens draining the Swamp a few years later.

Reactions: perico

If he hasn't done it by now, he's most likely not going to. Kurt Warner is about the only other QB I can think of that rose to a starting position and thrived this late in his career, and Warner is pretty much an extreme example. Maybe Rich Gannon, but he still was starting by his 4th season even though he didn't thrive until late in his career.

If he hasn't done it by now, he's most likely not going to. Kurt Warner is about the only other QB I can think of that rose to a starting position and thrived this late in his career, and Warner is pretty much an extreme example. Maybe Rich Gannon, but he still was starting by his 4th season even though he didn't thrive until late in his career.
Dobbs is more a Charlie Batch type NFL player for Pittsburg. Solid roster guy but won't be the franchise starter but can make life changing money being on the roster.

Matt Hasselbeck with Seattle and Doug Flutie once he came back from a 10 year career in Canada both come to mind.

Dobbs is more a Charlie Batch type NFL player for Pittsburg. Solid roster guy but won't be the franchise starter but can make life changing money being on the roster.

Matt Hasselbeck with Seattle and Doug Flutie once he came back from a 10 year career in Canada both come to mind.

Dobbs almost has the perfect job. Dude is a genius and will make bank for years as a backup, and will retire with a load of money and his brain just fine and will be young enough to go start his career at NASA.

Reactions: Majors
Dobbs almost has the perfect job. Dude is a genius and will make bank for years as a backup, and will retire with a load of money and his brain just fine and will be young enough to go start his career at NASA.
Absolutely, best job in the NFL is a backup QB that plays very little in a 10 year career.

Actually, from my recollection anyway, most pundits still thought Ohio State was the best team. That might’ve been after Florida’s second loss though. The UCLA-Miami game was a makeup game from a hurricane earlier.

Reactions: perico
Nick Stephens left Tennessee went to tartar sauce state or something and ended up playing for the Dallas Cowboys

When Tyler Bray was here, he played all the way through his college career and went into the league. So did Dobbs. They started at UT and then were on NFL squads long enough to make money that anyone would call a financial success. Since those guys, we have not had a starting QB play out his whole career at UT. (Arguably, Worley did, but he got injured and didn't finish his senior season.) The QBs who transferred out from UT usually did not have success:

Nathan Peterman -- the EXCEPTION: he was good at Pitt, drafted by Bills, and is still getting paid to play football
Quinten Dormady -- played for Houston and Central Michigan, no pro career
Jarrett Gurarantano -- terrible at Wazzu, will not even be sniffed by the NFL
J.T. Shrout -- was playing well at Colorado, long-term effects of his injury remain to be seen
Brian Maurer -- nobody wants him or he chose to get out of CFB
Harrison Bailey -- TBD

What's my point? What's my "agenda"? None. I'm just stating these facts to see if anybody on VN wants to comment on it.

EDIT: Diderot's Ghost reminded me about Riley Ferguson. He was successful at Memphis. Did not have a pro football career.

You say we haven't had a successful QB "since those guys" , one of which was Dobbs, but the main QB we have had "since Dobbs" was JG. I think that speaks for itself.

As you point out, both Bray and Dobbs made NFL squads (I believe Dobbs is still with the Steelers) and Peterman is still playing in the NFL, although he transferred (Peterman was a contemporary of Dobbs).

I'll also point out that JG, absent Covid, did essentially play his whole career at UT, he was a Vol for 5 years. (Five LOOONNNNGGGG years! OMG). Forget all those other guys (not to disrespect them, I wish them all luck, even JG), but our history is replete with guys that quit or transferred. The only two that matter looking back 8 years are Dobbs and JG. One was a very good college QB, and the other was not. Hooker is closer to Dobbs than JG and might turn out to be about as good as Dobbs. Thank God for that. JG about kilt us.

Well Ben Rothlisberger is getting close to retiring, and Dobbs is not too banged up yet. Of all those QBs past, Dobbs is the only one I actually met once. Really good guy. And he has been waiting in the wings about as long as Aaron Rodgers did at Green Bay. But even if he does not get his shot next year? Hell,he probably has a few concept aircrafts or space vehicles drawn up. Just waiting to be used. No disrespect to those who worry about his lack of NFL action, but Dobbs is going to be good.
Dobbs won't be a starter in the NFL. He hasn't even been a backup for most of the time. No worries though.

Not even short term starter

When Tyler Bray was here, he played all the way through his college career and went into the league. So did Dobbs. They started at UT and then were on NFL squads long enough to make money that anyone would call a financial success. Since those guys, we have not had a starting QB play out his whole career at UT. (Arguably, Worley did, but he got injured and didn't finish his senior season.) The QBs who transferred out from UT usually did not have success:

Nathan Peterman -- the EXCEPTION: he was good at Pitt, drafted by Bills, and is still getting paid to play football
Quinten Dormady -- played for Houston and Central Michigan, no pro career
Jarrett Gurarantano -- terrible at Wazzu, will not even be sniffed by the NFL
J.T. Shrout -- was playing well at Colorado, long-term effects of his injury remain to be seen
Brian Maurer -- nobody wants him or he chose to get out of CFB
Harrison Bailey -- TBD

What's my point? What's my "agenda"? None. I'm just stating these facts to see if anybody on VN wants to comment on it.

EDIT: Diderot's Ghost reminded me about Riley Ferguson. He was successful at Memphis. Did not have a pro football career.

My comment is, none of these players had the coaching stability to develop into college quarterbacks. Agree Peterman is an exception but just looking at the number of coaches they had while at Tennessee it is obvious the drawbacks they experienced. Perhaps they would have been no better with a stable set of coaches but we will never know. This is also why Tennessee has such a terrible record since their last appearance in Atlanta.

Number of coaches since the end of 2007 Season

6 Head coaches

8 Offensive Coordinators

10 Defensive Coordinators

61 Position Coaches

10 S&C Coaches

Reactions: volinthenorth

VN Store

Back