When our quarterbacks transfer from UT, they do not have football success.

Go through all the UT QBs since the T formation was put into place on The Hill and you'll find pretty much the same thing with two exceptions, Heath Shuler and Peyton Manning. With Shuler, he was one of the biggest busts ever drafted out of Tennessee, your point?
Don't forget, Bobby Scott, Condredge Holloway and Ryan all played pro football.

Reactions: CSVol and Remy
When Tyler Bray was here, he played all the way through his college career and went into the league. So did Dobbs. They started at UT and then were on NFL squads long enough to make money that anyone would call a financial success. Since those guys, we have not had a starting QB play out his whole career at UT. (Arguably, Worley did, but he got injured and didn't finish his senior season.) The QBs who transferred out from UT usually did not have success:

Nathan Peterman -- the EXCEPTION: he was good at Pitt, drafted by Bills, and is still getting paid to play football
Quinten Dormady -- played for Houston and Central Michigan, no pro career
Jarrett Gurarantano -- terrible at Wazzu, will not even be sniffed by the NFL
J.T. Shrout -- was playing well at Colorado, long-term effects of his injury remain to be seen
Brian Maurer -- nobody wants him or he chose to get out of CFB
Harrison Bailey -- TBD

What's my point? What's my "agenda"? None. I'm just stating these facts to see if anybody on VN wants to comment on it.

EDIT: Diderot's Ghost reminded me about Riley Ferguson. He was successful at Memphis. Did not have a pro football career.
No disrespect to Dobbs, but he has thrown 17 total passes in the NFL in his career.

When Tyler Bray was here, he played all the way through his college career and went into the league. So did Dobbs. They started at UT and then were on NFL squads long enough to make money that anyone would call a financial success. Since those guys, we have not had a starting QB play out his whole career at UT. (Arguably, Worley did, but he got injured and didn't finish his senior season.) The QBs who transferred out from UT usually did not have success:

Nathan Peterman -- the EXCEPTION: he was good at Pitt, drafted by Bills, and is still getting paid to play football
J.T. Shrout -- was playing well at Colorado, long-term effects of his injury remain to be seen
Harrison Bailey -- TBD

What's my point? What's my "agenda"? None. I'm just stating these facts to see if anybody on VN wants to comment on it.

EDIT: Diderot's Ghost reminded me about Riley Ferguson. He was successful at Memphis. Did not have a pro football career.

Well, if the trend continues, one will succeed. We are due.

Reactions: volinthenorth
No disrespect to Dobbs, but he has thrown 17 total passes in the NFL in his career.

Well Ben Rothlisberger is getting close to retiring, and Dobbs is not too banged up yet. Of all those QBs past, Dobbs is the only one I actually met once. Really good guy. And he has been waiting in the wings about as long as Aaron Rodgers did at Green Bay. But even if he does not get his shot next year? Hell,he probably has a few concept aircrafts or space vehicles drawn up. Just waiting to be used. No disrespect to those who worry about his lack of NFL action, but Dobbs is going to be good.

Riley Ferguson didn't go to the NFL, but he was solid at Memphis. AJ Suggs started for Georgia Tech. BJ Coleman is UTC's favorite son.

Of course we can always remember the QBs who committed and new coaches ran off: like Bryce Petty, and Tajh Boyd. I'll give Dooley and Butch an ounce of credit. They honored the scholarships in place when they got the job.
Terrell Owen's is UTC's favorite son.

Reactions: Zues1 and perico

Harrison Bailey -- TBD

Most people who transfer couldn't hack it on their first team for a reason. There are exceptions certainly but high school recruitment followed by development is and will remain the cornerstone of building a program. You can't build a team out of the portal, you just supplement and hope to fill holes adequately.

He said he has a team but he wasn't going to say nothing yet take it how you want. He has 3 years of eligibility.
Does he not have the option to not transfer and stay with the team as long as the team accepts him back or has that time passed?

Steve Matthews..............

10187-1088923RepBk.jpg

No so much as a coach...........:oops:

Being successful after leaving UT doesn't always only mean in the NFL.

Condredge Holloway had a super CFL career.

Andy Kelly was a former Vols QB that had a successful Arena Football League career.

Didn't Jeremaine Copeland come to UT as a QB but changed his position to WR because of Peyton? He had a good CFL career as a WR.

I was mostly thinking of the recent situation when transferring became easier. Branndon Stewart was here in 1994. But yes, back in the leather helmet days, some guys might have transferred with success. :)
Brandon Stewart was one of the best Q.B.s to have ever suit up for the Vols. He just had the misfortune of being a contemporary of Peyton Manning. I'd love to have another one with his ability.

Riley Ferg's, and his 48 tattoo's, fit in well with the 13th grade at Tigger High School.

Think he was elected Homecoming King one year there.

Reactions: jblank
We selected Jonathon Crompton over Tim Tebow.

And coming out of the Juco, we went with Matt Simms over Cam Newton.

Hard to get a QB when we keep changing back and forth between Pro Style and Spread every few years. Two different skill sets.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Being successful after leaving UT doesn't always only mean in the NFL.

Condredge Holloway had a super CFL career.

Andy Kelly was a former Vols QB that had a successful Arena Football League career.

Didn't Jeremaine Copeland come to UT as a QB but changed his position to WR because of Peyton? He had a good CFL career as a WR.

Yep

We selected Jonathon Crompton over Tim Tebow.

And coming out of the Juco, we went with Matt Simms over Cam Newton.

Hard to get a QB when we keep changing back and forth between Pro Style and Spread every few years. Two different skill sets.
Crompton was a year after Tebow. He was compared to Tebow.

Don't forget, Bobby Scott, Condredge Holloway and Ryan all played pro football.

You'll find no bigger fan of Condredge Holloway walking the shoe leather of this planet than me. That said, he was a great player in the Canadian League, not the NFL. Crompton was a Canadian League player as well. Great Canadian League players eventually often found their way back to the NFL, like Warren Moon. Scott, Robinson, and Ryan were all certainly great players but were not notable in the NFL at all. The OP was trying to make a point about a particular group of players or player but his position fails once you expand his base or the univesre just a bit to all modern UT QBs which was my point all along. One of the best UT QBs was The Swamp Rat Austin Denney, we've had great ones like him afterwards, but if the yardstick is being significant in the NFL for us as UT fans, there can only be one so far.

Harrison Bailey -- TBD

Um, your examples are 50/50 it seems.

You'll find no bigger fan of Condredge Holloway walking the shoe leather of this planet than me. That said, he was a great player in the Canadian League, not the NFL. Crompton was a Canadian League player as well. Great Canadian League players eventually often found their way back to the NFL, like Warren Moon. Scott, Robinson, and Ryan were all certainly great players but were not notable in the NFL at all. The OP was trying to make a point about a particular group of players or player but his position fails once you expand his base or the univesre just a bit to all modern UT QBs which was my point all along. One of the best UT QBs was The Swamp Rat Austin Denney, we've had great ones like him afterwards, but if the yardstick is being significant in the NFL for us as UT fans, there can only be one so far.
HOLLOWAY COULD PLAY IN TODAYS NFL.

Reactions: Remy

VN Store

Back