What's the Greatest Country Song Ever Written?

"El Paso" Marty Robbins
"Walking After Midnight" Patsy Cline
"Ring of Fire" Johnny Cash
"Poncho and Lefty" Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard
"Seven Spanish Angels" Willie Nelson and Ray Charles
"Country Roads, Take Me Home" John Denver

I read this thread for the first time this morning at about 6:15 am. Been thinking about the topic since. Still can't nail down what I honestly think is "the best country song". I can eliminate a ton from contention, but can't honesty say ---------------- by ---------------- is "the greatest".

Best thread on the Internet IMO.

I read this thread for the first time this morning at about 6:15 am. Been thinking about the topic since. Still can't nail down what I honestly think is "the best country song". I can eliminate a ton from contention, but can't honesty say ---------------- by ---------------- is "the greatest".

Best thread on the Internet IMO.

It's a fantastic debate. So many great songs that envoke such vivid feelings.

I'm surprised "The Dance" hasn't had any mentions. That was my close #2.

It's a fantastic debate. So many great songs that envoke such vivid feelings.

I'm surprised "The Dance" hasn't had any mentions. That was my close #2.

there are so many songs that could get named. The Dance is a phenomenal song, but as for a "country" song imo, nothing perfects the genre like "Amarillo By Morning". There are at least a dozen songs that I like better in the supposed "country" genre, but nothing symbolizes what country music should be like that song. And why we're talking about that song, let's please note that Terry Stafford wrote it, not George Strait. Very few songs have been penned by George.

You're going to run in to the crowd that insists artist from a certain era are the only ones with eligibility. Then you're gonna have guys suggest non-typical "country". Ie: bluegrass, gospel, rockabilly, & modern country.

I mean Ray Wiley Hubbard wrote some badass songs. Is he "country" or "Americana"? It's just an awesome debate and not an easy one to come to a consensus on. That's why I think the thread is so cool. What great insight in to an individual's taste.

Fascinating. It really is and I'm not being a smart ass.

At the same time, I'm struggling with it. Ole TX07 is a HUGE "music guy". I like it all.

You're going to run in to the crowd that insists artist from a certain era are the only ones with eligibility. Then you're gonna have guys suggest non-typical "country". Ie: bluegrass, gospel, rockabilly, & modern country.

I mean Ray Wiley Hubbard wrote some badass songs. Is he "country" or "Americana"? It's just an awesome debate and not an easy one to come to a consensus on. That's why I think the thread is so cool. What great insight in to an individual's taste.

Fascinating. It really is and I'm not being a smart ass.

At the same time, I'm struggling with it. Ole TX07 is a HUGE "music guy". I like it all.
I've really started digging into country, bluegrass and folk recently and I love it. Its so diverse and everyone has a different preference, as you said.

I almost went with Wildwood Flower by The Carter Family just because I think that's country at its purest.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll add, now that I'm thinking about it more and I've had a beverage, the Nashville crowd is going to crow about Hank Williams and ignore the fact that he had a rocky relationship with them. Modern country stars all view him as the "God father", and a ton of modern artist are Nashville products unfortunately. Out here, we'd argue George is the King. But is he? He doesn't write a ton of his own stuff. Do we exclude say.... Bob Wills? Just because they sold a bunch of records and are clearly popular doesn't make them the greatest. Is one Strait song even close to a Bob Wills song? If you're voting on "the song" a lot is left to criticism. Did they write it? Who performed it? It's just fun I think.

I'll throw a few out there after my next beverage.

Bwah that's not gonna help, here's my short list off the top of my head:

No order:

Blue Moon Kentucky -Bill Monroe
He stopped loving her today -George Jones
New San Antonio Rose -Bob Wills
Hello Walls -Faron Young

Crazy, Delta Dawn, and Cheyenne all get mixed in there too somewhere. May throw Robert Earl Keen's "front porch song" & "Shades of Gray" in there too. Actually, I am. Robert writes good ****.

These should be on the list of great country songs somewhere:

On the Other Hand or 1982 -- Randy Travis

Here in the Real World or Home -- Alan Jackson

I Wonder Do You Think of Me -- Keith Whitley

Much Too Young -- Garth Brooks

A Good Year for the Roses -- Possum

Always on my Mind -- Willie Nelson

Chill of an Early Fall -- George Strait

Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink -- Merle Haggard

Coal Miner's Daughter -- Loretta Lynn

The two I listed actually have a true story behind them. Although we danced to your suggestion at our wedding. Come to think of it, REK was on our playlist a ton that night. Hahaha

My first dance next April will be to Cory Morrow but there will be a few Keen tracks played that night as well.

The story behind Shades of Gray is crazy but I don't think it'll make the wedding playlist. "I'm Coming Home" and "Feelin" Good Again" definitely will though.

What is your favorite country song? Does it differ than what you consider the greatest one ever written? For me it does and I'm currently trying to nail down my actual all time favorite.

What is your favorite country song? Does it differ than what you consider the greatest one ever written? For me it does and I'm currently trying to nail down my actual all time favorite.

Thought about this yesterday, gotta be Somewhere Down in Texas by Boland, or Adios Days by Pat Green

Won't say it's the greatest ever, but Folsom Prison Blues is my all time favorite.

Townes Van Zandt has many but this one sticks out IMO. Pretty sure he wrote Pancho and Lefty.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGOxo0KDMs[/youtube][/QUOTE]

VN Store

Back