What's the furthest UT's been in NCAA

There was a total lack of discipline and Green didn't get along with Dickey or the money men.

There was also a conflict of interest story with Jerry Green trying to use the basketball program to steer fans to K-mart. I think he owned some stock in K-mart or something.

:)

Beyond that and the choke job against UNC in 2000, I really have no clue about what things were like when he was coaching.

Consider it a blessing that you have no clue what it was like. Very talented, athletic players - really disorganized, underachieving.

Had some huge wins in there - at Rupp, at Florida, beatin UConn to make the Sweet 16, but after that loss to UNC, the program started to crumble. The last year was so ugly - not just the play, but the conduct of the players. And then Peterson came in and kicked two of the guys he inherited from Green (potential starters too) off the team immediately - a pretty good indicator of where the program was headed.

It was an embarrassment to say you were a UT fan.

Consider it a blessing that you have no clue what it was like. Very talented, athletic players - really disorganized, underachieving.

Had some huge wins in there - at Rupp, at Florida, beatin UConn to make the Sweet 16, but after that loss to UNC, the program started to crumble. The last year was so ugly - not just the play, but the conduct of the players. And then Peterson came in and kicked two of the guys he inherited from Green (potential starters too) off the team immediately - a pretty good indicator of where the program was headed.

It was an embarrassment to say you were a UT fan.
Thanks for that info ... Tonight, I'm just savoring our win and our advancing to the Sweet 16. Anything beyond this is icing on the cake.

I am still stunned at how much Bruce Pearl has done in 2 years - especially this year putting 4 freshmen on the floor. The development of our players by Pearl and his staff is nothing short of phenomenal.

Thanks for that info ... Tonight, I'm just savoring our win and our advancing to the Sweet 16. Anything beyond this is icing on the cake.

Absolutely. For the long-term health of the program, the work this season is done - Sweet 16 buys us another week of press and young players getting to see us on prime-time TV and dreaming of wearing that beautiful orange one day.

So we savor it and feel great, and then see what happens - nothing to lose. The future is very bright.

Not really. To match Green, Bruce would have to lose to a team coached by Steve Alford by 30 points in the NCAA tournament, blow a 7 point lead in the final 4 minutes of a game with an Elite Eight berth on the line, and alienate the entire fan base. Then, Pearl would have matched Coach Jed.

yep

Yep, I can vividly remember the moment when we were up 7 on UNC in the Sweet 16 with 3 minutes to go before finding a way to blow the lead and the Elite 8.

That's right... I was thinking that was the game to send us to the Final Four.

My mistake.:eek:k:

I know... And before last year, UT basketball wasn't really televised. It wasn't ever televised. Before I found this site, I wasn't even 100% sure the Vols played men's basketball.

You have nothing to be ashmed of. I didn't know who Jerry Green was before I opened this thread and the first televised game I saw of the men's basketball team was when they went to Austin,TX and put a whoopin on the Horns.

Green told the fans that if they didn't like how he ran his team, they should go shop at K-Mart instead of watching them play.

Green told the fans that if they didn't like how he ran his team, they should go shop at K-Mart instead of watching them play.
Ahh... so that's the Kmart reference. :)

What an arrogant little schmuck... And he didn't have the goods to back any of that up, apparently.

Wow, our basketball histories seem to be similar.

Texas A&M post-season history

1951 NCAA First Round
1964 NCAA First Round
1969 NCAA "Sweet Sixteen"
1975 NCAA First Round
1979 NIT Final Six
1980 NCAA "Sweet Sixteen"
1982 NIT Final Eight
1985 NIT First Round
1986 NIT First Round
1987 NCAA First Round
1994 NIT First Round
2005 NIT Quarter Finals
2006 NCAA Second Round

hahahah i remember that...it was true though...they had been achieveing a decent measure of success the past couple of years and noone still wanted to go to the games...

VN Store

Back