What's the furthest UT's been in NCAA

I believe that would be today...

We certainly haven't ever been farther than this before. We've been to the round of 16 at least a couple of times, but a couple of those were back when you used to be able to get a bye in the first round.

technically Tennessee made it to the Regional Semifinals (16 teams left) three times:

1967 - received first round bye and never won a game
1981- beat VCU and then lost to Virginia
2000 - beat Louisiana-Laffayette and UConn but lost to UNC

Interestingly, Tennessee's first NCAA tourney win was 1979 and we have only won 11 games in the big dance, 6 of those since 1999 and Pearl has 3.

Hat, this is off topic, but how do you see us in the SEC next season, and in the polls? Do you think we will be a top 5 team during the season?

Unless the highly improbable happens and at least 3 of Florida's 4 juniors return, I think Tennessee is the clear favorite in the SEC. Nationally, UT's preseason ranking will also be greatly affected by who does and does not declare for the NBA Draft. That said, I can't imagine a scenario under which UT is not in the initial Top 10.

Interestingly, Tennessee's first NCAA tourney win was 1979 and we have only won 11 games in the big dance, 6 of those since 1999 and Pearl has 3.

Pearl will do so much for this school if he stays, it even gets me excited thinking about Basketball in the future.
Which is rare.

Not really. To match Green, Bruce would have to lose to a team coached by Steve Alford by 30 points in the NCAA tournament, blow a 7 point lead in the final 4 minutes of a game with an Elite Eight berth on the line, and alienate the entire fan base. Then, Pearl would have matched Coach Jed.

Not really. To match Green, Bruce would have to lose to a team coached by Steve Alford by 30 points in the NCAA tournament, blow a 7 point lead in the final 4 minutes of a game with an Elite Eight berth on the line, and alienate the entire fan base. Then, Pearl would have matched Coach Jed.

:lolabove: Yep

Hat, while I remember the loss to UNC in 2000, what did Jerry Green do to alienate the fan base? I was living in NC at the time and wasn't following UT men's basketball. Any info you can pass along will be helpful - or a link would do.

I am going to be completely honest. Until 10 minutes ago, I didn't even know who Jerry Green was.

I know... And before last year, UT basketball wasn't really televised. It wasn't ever televised. Before I found this site, I wasn't even 100% sure the Vols played men's basketball.

I know... And before last year, UT basketball wasn't really televised. It wasn't ever televised. Before I found this site, I wasn't even 100% sure the Vols played men's basketball.

Hell I went to school here for a year before anybody said anything about the basketball team :)

The only connection I have to the Jerry Green era is that my wife went to high school with Charles Hathaway.... Beyond that and the choke job against UNC in 2000, I really have no clue about what things were like when he was coaching.

There was a total lack of discipline and Green didn't get along with Dickey or the money men.

VN Store

Back