What's the deal with Paul Harris?

my-first-beer-o.gif

I remember my first beer too son.

I+remember+my+first+beer_fe5cb5_4553171.gif

bcefcc.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Give Harris time. It takes some guys a year or two to adjust to the speed of the game and hit their stride.

This staff expects more from their receivers. A receiver needs to be able to run the correct routes, know the plays, sell his route with effort EVERYTIME he runs it to pull coverage, block well, as well as get open and catch the ball. My guess is he isn't doing one of these well enough to see the field often.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember my first beer too son.
Uh...you're ASS-uming that he's not getting any PT cause he's young...when YOUTH is all there is at WR. :blink: Go count some dominoes, Rain Man.

Attachments

• robin-look-o.gif
    robin-look-o.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 236
And you know it's because of practice....because.........? It may not be practice performance. It could be something as small as him not blocking quite as well as some of the others.

Azzani may be putting too much emphasis on that element of his game, when his other skills more than offset that alleged weakness. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard him, Coach Bajakian or CBJ comment on it...or has seen something themselves in practice. I have listened closely to Azzani's interviews and I have yet to hear him explain why Harris is riding the bench

Little_4770ef_2338243.gif

This staff expects more from their receivers. A receiver needs to be able to run the correct routes, know the plays, sell his route with effort EVERYTIME he runs it to pull coverage, block well, as well as get open and catch the ball. My guess is he isn't doing one of these well enough to see the field often.
I think the Vikings are viewing CP the same way. Except the problem is, their approach ain't working. They are losing, and they could sure use some of CP's magic. He's run 2 KO's back for TD's and even their HC, Frazier said they need to get that rectified (when asked WHY they weren't trying to get the ball in CP's hand on offense)

DGB @Mizzou didn't show much his freshman year either. He is turning out to be ok. Let's hope for the same with Harris.

With the numbers of WRs and the numbers we are doubling down in other areas. I truly believe that we are getting to a point of platoon football. We are going to see some unusual formations and substitutions by groups of key personnel from the sidelines. It is a wait and see but I think we are going see a completely new concept in subbing.

2 rosters in one. There is a reason CBJ is recruiting the way he is. It's one thing to sub one at a time it is another to sub a package of 6 to 7 at one time or for a series.

Both offensively and defensively, once he gets his system in place it will interesting to witness always having fresh players on the field.

I think the Vikings are viewing CP the same way. Except the problem is, their approach ain't working. They are losing, and they could sure use some of CP's magic. He's run 2 KO's back for TD's and even their HC, Frazier said they need to get that rectified (when asked WHY they weren't trying to get the ball in CP's hand on offense)

Man, I didn't know we had been sitting on such an offensive weapon. Harris has been injured and in the doghouse during his short time on campus. Anybody remember the coaches taking #1 away from him and giving him a # in the 90's? All tall receivers don't come to campus and dominate. You used Mizzou's as an example. DGB was one of the top 5 recruits in the country last year, and it took him a while to adjust.

I'm glad you aren't coaching. Josh Briscoe and Quinton Hancock would have been playing over Gerald Jones and D. Moore. Cedrick Wilson and Peerless Price would have had an uphill battle getting on the field too apparantly.

As to CP...that was the knock on him while he was here too. Ever wonder why all he did were Posts, Go routes and reverses? At the NFL level, you can't get away with that.

Reactions: 3 people
And you know it's because of practice....because.........? It may not be practice performance. It could be something as small as him not blocking quite as well as some of the others.

Azzani may be putting too much emphasis on that element of his game, when his other skills more than offset that alleged weakness. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard him, Coach Bajakian or CBJ comment on it...or has seen something themselves in practice. I have listened closely to Azzani's interviews and I have yet to hear him explain why Harris is riding the bench

Because most coaches spend time talking and answering questions about the guys that are actually "EARNING" their playing time. For whatever reason, he is not earning his on offense. He plays on some special teams, but that is it. He is a Freshman. He will grow in his skill set and get better (hopefully). If not....we have some recruits coming in the next couple years that will more than make up for it.

CBJ is recruiting several BIG receivers (Malone, Pearson, Williams), so it is obviously something that he covets. If he had one on campus that he could use, don't you think he would? Seems like he likes using North an awful lot!

Yes, he's a freshman, but so are all the other WR's besides Pig Howard and Croom. He was also an EE, so he had all spring and summer to get acclimated to the playbook/offense.

I just cannot understand why we aren't trying to give Worley and now Dobbs big targets to throw to. It's extremely rare to have this much size at the position...and now that we do, we aren't even bothering to use it. :banghead2:

Not only do they have a much bigger catching radius than a smallish or average size receiver, but they ALL have proven ability to make circus/highpoint/jump ball catches = bailing the QB out of bad throws more often than smaller ones.

He was in one game and made a very, very tough catch....so, I find it hard to believe it's bad hands. Josh Smith has dropped more balls than anyone on the team, yet he gets more PT than Croom and Harris combined. WTF?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJhYCJQEoDM[/youtube]

OK....I'll bite........... are you Paul's mom or Paul's dad????

Last edited:

If you'd read my post closer...you see that I said it could be "other factors"! I didn't take the time to list every possible reason.

How can Azzani be putting too much emphasis on blocking? It's just as important as catching in this league and especially in this offense. We had 6 guys catch passes Saturday at the WR spot so we have plenty of people to catch it. Which I'm not saying that Harris isn't because I don't know why he's not playing. I trust our multi million dollar coaching staff to make those decisions.

Ok...genius. This nugget of wisdom is pure gold....:loco:... considering there is nothing but youth at the WR position. Pig Howard is the only one with any real game experience on this team.

Kind of like that profound statement you made about there being the same number of coaches fired as hired each year....no **** Sherlock you don't say

Reactions: 5 people
Yes, he's a freshman, but so are all the other WR's besides Pig Howard and Croom. He was also an EE, so he had all spring and summer to get acclimated to the playbook/offense.

I just cannot understand why we aren't trying to give Worley and now Dobbs big targets to throw to. It's extremely rare to have this much size at the position...and now that we do, we aren't even bothering to use it. :banghead2:

Not only do they have a much bigger catching radius than a smallish or average size receiver, but they ALL have proven ability to make circus/highpoint/jump ball catches = bailing the QB out of bad throws more often than smaller ones.

He was in one game and made a very, very tough catch....so, I find it hard to believe it's bad hands. Josh Smith has dropped more balls than anyone on the team, yet he gets more PT than Croom and Harris combined. WTF?

Did you ever see the movie Friday night lights? Remember the part before the first game and all of the townies come into the coaches office and try to give him advice on the game plan? They are all under the impression that they have it figured out.

Posts like this always remind me of that scene. Except you aren't actually going into the office of CBJ, of course.

couple of things about freshmen...

they do not all advance at same speed. a few can perform and help out as freshmen. Some cannot.

Some take until Sophomore or even Junior years before they adapt to college game and speed.

Some freshman come in and help, but fall off in second or third years and disappear.

Some continue to advance in knowledge and skill.. some stay same as freshmen. they help a little each year but do not advance.

Harris is still adapting to game and learning the game at this level.

VN Store

Back