What's the deal with Paul Harris?

VOLorNuttin

Yes, he's a freshman, but so are all the other WR's besides Pig Howard and Croom. He was also an EE, so he had all spring and summer to get acclimated to the playbook/offense.

I just cannot understand why we aren't trying to give Worley and now Dobbs big targets to throw to. It's extremely rare to have this much size at the position...and now that we do, we aren't even bothering to use it. :banghead2:

Not only do they have a much bigger catching radius than a smallish or average size receiver, but they ALL have proven ability to make circus/highpoint/jump ball catches = bailing the QB out of bad throws more often than smaller ones.

He was in one game and made a very, very tough catch....so, I find it hard to believe it's bad hands. Josh Smith has dropped more balls than anyone on the team, yet he gets more PT than Croom and Harris combined. WTF?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJhYCJQEoDM[/youtube]

Reactions: 1 person
Route running may be? I know he also had lots of drops during spring practice.

I had high hopes for him and Drae Bowles.

Josh Smith has dropped more balls than anyone on the team, yet he gets more PT than Croom and Harris combined.

I believe Croom starts and gets more PT than Smith yet Smith has 11 receptions for 173 yards and Croom has 11 receptions for 145 yards. Both guys have had their fair share of dropped balls. Tells me Smith manages to get open more often than Croom if the QB's keep throwing his way.

Harris has 1 reception for 15 yards.

If you're 6ft 7in but still can't consistently show in practice you can catch or get open on press coverage OR block the corner for RB's you won't see the field.

He's a freshman, give it some time.

Reactions: 8 people
Route running may be? I know he also had lots of drops during spring practice.

I had high hopes for him and Drae Bowles.

They seem to be having problem running the correct routs and catching the ball. I am unsure how Harris has recovered from his injury.

Yes, he's a freshman, but so are all the other WR's besides Pig Howard and Croom. He was also an EE, so he had all spring and summer to get acclimated to the playbook/offense.

I just cannot understand why we aren't trying to give Worley and now Dobbs big targets to throw to. It's extremely rare to have this much size at the position...and now that we do, we aren't even bothering to use it. :banghead2:

Not only do they have a much bigger catching radius than a smallish or average size receiver, but they ALL have proven ability to make circus/highpoint/jump ball catches = bailing the QB out of bad throws more often than smaller ones.

He was in one game and made a very, very tough catch....so, I find it hard to believe it's bad hands. Josh Smith has dropped more balls than anyone on the team, yet he gets more PT than Croom and Harris combined. WTF?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/TJhYCJQEoDM[/youtube]

Nice use of catchphrases like "bigger catching radius" and "highpoint", however you seem to have a complete misunderstanding of what it requires to play the position.

Reactions: 2 people
Wasn't he injured for a while? They're probably sitting him so they can get him a medical redshirt at the end of the year.

How many times has the OP asked these same questions?
They've been answered over and over again.
If you still don't understand, I don't know that anyone can help you.

Reactions: 3 people
Nice use of catchphrases like "bigger catching radius" and "highpoint", however you seem to have a complete misunderstanding of what it requires to play the position.
...and YOU do, eh? Your understanding would be based on what, Einstein? I've been watching the team and following recruiting closely probably a decade or more before you were ever born. Let me guess....your argument is "because the coaches say so?"

I got a news flash for you....COACHES ARE WRONG ABOUT AS OFTEN AS THEY ARE RIGHT! That's why there is NO job security in the coaching profession. There are as many firings as there are hirings every year.

One couldn't say a single bad thing about Kiffin (well, one could, but then they'd get flamed by goobers like you)...until the second he left. Suddenly, as if by magic, it was open season on Lane Kiffin.

Let's look at some of his doosies....No less than 3 Heisman candidates or winners were snubbed by Kiffin. And lots of boneheads here defended him over it. Cam Newton, Tahj Boyd and Bryce Petty.

I like the overall direction CBJ and the staff is taking the program, but some decisions are frustrating as hell. We've never had this much size at WR and now that we have it, we simply refuse to use it. Can't blame it on youth, cause youth is all there is on this squad.

Reactions: 1 person
you hardly ever see a true freshman wr run good routes.

that postion i have noticed that there second year you always see the best improvement and they keep improving

During the Alabama game, I saw bUTch talking to him, as he came off the field from a special teams play. At first, I had no idea who wore the #1 jersey. Then I looked at the roster and realized it was him.

He is getting special teams play and he has a 15 yard catch in the stat sheet for the season.

How many times has the OP asked these same questions?
They've been answered over and over again.
If you still don't understand, I don't know that anyone can help you.
This is the first time I have asked about Harris specifically. And people "guessing" why Croom and Harris aren't being used more isn't the same as someone seeing the practices regularly and commenting based on that or info directly gleaned from pay sites.

You must be 18 years old with no understanding of college football.

The kid is a 18 year old freshman. He will grow and improve his game, his strength, his speed, his knowledge, his confidence, and his understanding of the game over time. There are very few freshmen who contribute and make an impact in college football.

Reactions: 2 people
...and YOU do, eh? Your understanding would be based on what, Einstein? I've been watching the team and following recruiting closely probably a decade or more before you were ever born. Let me guess....your argument is "because the coaches say so?"

I got a news flash for you....COACHES ARE WRONG ABOUT AS OFTEN AS THEY ARE RIGHT! That's why there is NO job security in the coaching profession. There are as many firings as there are hirings every year.

One couldn't say a single bad thing about Kiffin (well, one could, but then they'd get flamed by goobers like you)...until the second he left. Suddenly, as if by magic, it was open season on Lane Kiffin.

Let's look at some of his doosies....No less than 3 Heisman candidates or winners were snubbed by Kiffin. And lots of boneheads here defended him over it. Cam Newton, Tahj Boyd and Bryce Petty.

I like the overall direction CBJ and the staff is taking the program, but some decisions are frustrating as hell. We've never had this much size at WR and now that we have it, we simply refuse to use it. Can't blame it on youth, cause youth is all there is on this squad.
I'd be willing to bet that you haven't watched the first practice to honestly assess his skill set,grasp of the play book,consistency,work ethic, attitude, and other factors. Just because he has good measureables doesn't mean he's earned meaningful playing time. If he hasn't earned it in practice, he doesn't deserve the PT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
You must be 18 years old with no understanding of college football.

The kid is a 18 year old freshman. He will grow and improve his game, his strength, his speed, his knowledge, his confidence, and his understanding of the game over time. There are very few freshmen who contribute and make an impact in college football.
Ok...genius. This nugget of wisdom is pure gold....:loco:... considering there is nothing but youth at the WR position. Pig Howard is the only one with any real game experience on this team.

Just as you know little about the WR position, you know very little about me based on your assumptions. But, since you "watch the team" and "follow recruiting" I will just defer to your expertise next time and keep my mouth shut.

By the way, thanks for the sermon on Kiffin. Have a great day.

Ok...genius. This nugget of wisdom is pure gold....:loco:... considering there is nothing but youth at the WR position. Pig Howard is the only one with any real game experience on this team.

I remember my first beer too son.

Reactions: 5 people
Keep in mind he's battled (hamstring and leg) injury off and on since Spring. Let's hope that this doesn't become an ongoing issue (like Merediths hammy) and he's able to fully recover.

That said, the ability is there, he has seen playing time in five gms (1/15yds vs AP).

Worth noting that Harris has impressed the coaches w/ his work ethic.

tumblr_mki9scFpVZ1r0gwrlo1_400.gif

tumblr_m2n4d6ajsJ1qze8f7.gif

137334484196.gif

nicholas-cage-you-dont-say.gif

I'd be willing to bet that you haven't watched the first practice to honestly assess his skill set,grasp of the play book,consistency,work ethic, attitude, and other factors. Just because he has good measure abeles doesn't mean he's earned meaningful playing time. If he hasn't earned it in practice, he doesn't deserve the PT.
And you know it's because of practice....because.........? It may not be practice performance. It could be something as small as him not blocking quite as well as some of the others.

Azzani may be putting too much emphasis on that element of his game, when his other skills more than offset that alleged weakness. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard him, Coach Bajakian or CBJ comment on it...or has seen something themselves in practice. I have listened closely to Azzani's interviews and I have yet to hear him explain why Harris is riding the bench

VN Store

Back