What's Detroit like?

Lived in the metro area for 3 years. The metro area is way nicer than you’d expect and the downtown area has improved a lot. The stadiums are all within a short walk of each other and it’s the nicest area of the downtown. You’ve got nothing to worry about if any of the stadiums are in view or if you’re close to the Spirit of Detroit statue where all the city government buildings are. But it gets rough pretty quick outside of that lol. Troy, Rochester, Auburn Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Novi, Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Royal Oak….these are the towns you probably want to book your hotel in and then drive into the city.

Oh, and Detroit has the best Arabic food in the country. You have to get a chicken shawarma. Stop by Shawarma’s House in Westland or House of Falafel in Farmington if you want something quick or pick any restaurant in Dearborn if you want to sit down. La Pita, Al Tayeb and Maarouch Restaurant are pretty good in my experience.

Also if you’re into craft beer/IPA’s, you gotta check out either Eastern Market Brewing Co in Detroit or HOMES Brewery in Ann Arbor. If you stay in Troy/Rochester/Birmingham/Royal Oak, swing by Griffin Claw. Michigan has some of the best beer in the country, too.
So if you had to choose between Troy, Rochester, Auburn Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Novi, Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Royal Oak to book a hotel which one would you choose?

If someone from Detroit opened a legit Arabic restaurant down here in Nashville, they’d make a killing lol. We finally got a place called Pita Way that opened up in Franklin, and it’s ok but it’s a chain and a cheap imitation of the real stuff.
The bread is unreal

So if you had to choose between Troy, Rochester, Auburn Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Novi, Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Royal Oak to book a hotel which one would you choose?

Tough to choose, but I’d say Troy or Ann Arbor. These will have the best hotel selection imo and both are very nice places.

-Ann Arbor is a 45 minute commute to Detroit, but it is one of the coolest cities in Michigan and all of the cool stuff will be really close to your hotel. Awesome downtown to walk around and explore. UofM campus is really nice. Wide variety or restaurants and bars. But it will be probably be loud and busy with a lot of people walking around.

-Troy is a much easier commute of 25 minutes. Straight shot down I-75. Good central location and good restaurants on Big Beaver and Rochester Rd. It just doesn’t have a downtown of its own to explore and less cool stuff compared to Ann Arbor. It’s a corporate town with a lot of office buildings. But you could head over to Rochester or Royal Oak if you wanted that. They’re close by. If you just want a quiet trip where you grab a bite to eat and then chill in the hotel, this would be the perfect place for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeeOhElEsYes
You can tell who has actually been to Detroit and those who get their information from the "news". For my taste, Detroit-style pizza is my favorite and the Detroit airport was among the nicest I've seen. Good rappers, too, in the Motor City.
Depends. I’ve been. It’s nice where tourists go, but it’s a lot like Rio In Brazil. Tourists will never go to Rocinha, and they’ll say the city was amazing. But just because you didn’t go to Rocinha doesn’t mean it isn’t there

Spend a day at the Ford Museum and enjoy the game.
Remember that a pistol is what you use to fight your way back to where you left your rifle.

I know it's got a pretty bad rap but would it be worth a weekend visit to explore and see the Vols play?
Detroit makes Memphis look like the Hamptons. I haven't been there in a while, I am friends with a former Detroit vice cop, but even in the good ole days it was turrible. I heard a stat a few years that, in the Detroit City S.D, an 18-24 yo male had better odds of suffering a gunshot wound than graduating from high school.

I’d raise a family in Detroit before I’d raise a family in Mississippi. Urban crime is a fact of life. It’s exaggerated like storms because scaring old people sells more ads.
I'd rethink that. I have a buddy who was a former vice cop in Detroit and he says it's a war zone and don't pay attention to the reported crime data. Three quarters of the crimes go unreported, or unprosecuted, or even unresponded to by the law.

I'd rethink that. I have a buddy who was a former vice cop in Detroit and he says it's a war zone and don't pay attention to the reported crime data. Three quarters of the crimes go unreported, or unprosecuted, or even unresponded to by the law.
I know a guy who said Life Cereal Mikey died from eating Poprocks.

LoL. I'm sure parts of it are great, but you can't deny how dangerous it is. Would you raise a family there? No need to get defensive with me.
It's like virtually any other city in that there are good parts and bad parts. Admittedly Detroit probably has more bad parts than other comparable cities. However if you stay in the good parts (which if you are just visiting for a game you would) nothing is going to happen to you.

If you go to the bad parts of a very safe city, stuff could still happen to you, just like if you go to the bad parts of a relatively unsafe city.

In the early 2000's I regularly flew into Detroit on business calling on healthcare facilities. Some of the facilities I visited the streets/homes along the way looked war-torn. They looked like what I see in the news now over in Ukraine. I certainly hope those areas in Detroit improved over the years!

VN Store

Back