What's Detroit like?

Take the San Francisco earthquake, mix it with the Chicago fire, sprinkle in 1946 Hiroshima and an Oklahoma F5 twister
and filter it through Robocops world and you can just about have it.

Detroit is what happens when all your economic eggs are put in 1 basket. When the auto industry declined, Detroit was screwed. A lot of other cities we all can name had the same experience.

LoL. I'm sure parts of it are great, but you can't deny how dangerous it is. Would you raise a family there? No need to get defensive with me.
I’d raise a family in Detroit before I’d raise a family in Mississippi. Urban crime is a fact of life. It’s exaggerated like storms because scaring old people sells more ads.

Just like anywhere - stay out of the hood, and it’s awesome!
My favorite city in America is New Orleans - and there are some areas I simply will not go into.
Same with Baltimore. Or Atlanta. Or DC. Or LA. Or Houston. Or Carter County Tennessee. 😁

Downtown Detroit Rock City with all that VOLS orange is gonna be EPIC fun!!

During a break-in to a family home with young kids, the father goes downstairs to see what the noise is and starts fighting with the burgler. The wife calls 911 and tells them her husband is fighting with a burglar. The 911 operator tells the wife to call back if it escalates and hangs up. True story.

Reactions: gnm53108 and Ratvol
You can tell who has actually been to Detroit and those who get their information from the "news". For my taste, Detroit-style pizza is my favorite and the Detroit airport was among the nicest I've seen. Good rappers, too, in the Motor City.

As
As far as I can tell, FBI hasn't released one of those reports since 2018, the year for the data cited at your link. By now the violent crime rate in Detroit has dropped quite a bit, following a national trend: Detroit records fewest homicides since 1966, but 'we've got a lot of work to do'

For people going to the game, I don't think you will experience any more danger in Detroit than you do in Tennessee. None of my former Rocket Mortgage coworkers express any concern with crime, even when they complain about downtown (where Rocket Mortgage has its offices). They do complain about the cold and parking, however.

Cam Sutton was a good kid when he was at UT.
He went to Detroit to play football and now there
is BOL on him for beating up some chick. It must
be contagious.

Reactions: Ratvol
tumblr_px450v0iCD1y3i3lyo1_540.gif

This guy never had to escape from there........yet......so I won't say it's the worst 🤷‍♂️

I know it's got a pretty bad rap but would it be worth a weekend visit to explore and see the Vols play?

I have been several times but it’s been about 5 years since my last trip. Wife has family in the suburbs. It’s very similar to most northern cities, old factory areas that never recovered with some decent suburbs. The only major difference being I wouldn’t venture out, outside of downtown Detroit, after dark, especially the west side.

As
As far as I can tell, FBI hasn't released one of those reports since 2018, the year for the data cited at your link. By now the violent crime rate in Detroit has dropped quite a bit, following a national trend: Detroit records fewest homicides since 1966, but 'we've got a lot of work to do'

For people going to the game, I don't think you will experience any more danger in Detroit than you do in Tennessee. None of my former Rocket Mortgage coworkers express any concern with crime, even when they complain about downtown (where Rocket Mortgage has its offices). They do complain about the cold and parking, however.
A very knowledgeable and correct post! Please don’t forget the potholes. They are legendary.

And I'm sure Chicago is ranked high... but it's also my favorite city in America. Like Chicago, Detroit has some truly amazing spots and they have invested a lot in making it safe near the attractions. If you like beer, I highly recommend Batch brewing and Pie-Sci pizza
Batch Brewing is top notch. Phenomenal brewery and pretty cool people.

If you go, try to get downtown near the arenas. You will pay a little more it in my opinion it’s worth it for convenience and lack of having to worry about where you are at, getting turned around, etc. It’s got its share of bad spots, but overall it’s a great city. I always enjoy my time there and the people are friendly and welcoming, especially situated around the arenas.

As others have said, grab authentic Arabic food. Plenty of options and I haven’t found any that I didn’t love.

VN Store

Back