What would you say is the team's biggest weakness?

Keon and Jaden are first rounders whenever they decide to enter the draft. JJJ and Pons could go 1st, 2nd, or not drafted, depending on when they choose to declare. IMO JJJ has a better chance of the 1st round because of his versatility. Pons will need to upgrade his perimeter offense. Fulkerson is a long shot to get drafted but a huge year puts him in the mix.

I was more concerned about just this upcoming draft to see where we will stand for next season.

I don't see JJJ leaving after this year. Fulky may come back. I'm hoping either Springer or Keon is back.

If we can keep JJJ, Fulky, and Keon to go with Bailey, Walker, possibly Anosike we should have as good or better team next year.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I was more concerned about just this upcoming draft to see where we will stand for next season.

I don't see JJJ leaving after this year. Fulky may come back. I'm hoping either Springer or Keon is back.

If we can keep JJJ, Fulky, and Keon to go with Bailey, Walker, possibly Anosike we should have as good or better team next year.
We probably would be better if all those you listed return but I’d say there’s like a 5% chance of that

Three point shooting right now. In order for this team to achieve what they are capable of achieving they have to be a little more consistent from three, or else things like Gonzaga and Iowa who have a lot of length can stay in zone and really affect us with there length.

I think that’s kind of the consensus. However, next year’s 2 freshmen guards might be the best 1 and 2 on the team even if EVERYBODY returns. That makes any of them leaving less hurtful. Although Fulk and EJ returning would be huge. Pons as well, but I’ll be shocked if he does.

VJ looks to be a solid 3 point shooter, Vescovi was last year but has hit a down period right now. Springer has been very good, and JJJ has a really good game from behind the arc against Tech. Hopefully at least 3 of those 4 can be consistent enough to make a difference. Rebounding seems pretty fine overall. Vescovi is still good at getting other involved and the two freshman have shown they have promise as well. I think we're good.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Main potential weakness I see this team having is post defense. If we play a team with a solid big man, I could see us struggling to guard him. Plus, not near as much depth there if Fulk gets on foul trouble.

Good news is our perimeter length and the pressure we put on the ball should make it harder for teams to feed the post on us.

Lack of size that plays and depth of bench...we really only play 7 solid, Anosike and Nmchaqu only play sparingly...GBO

1. Rebounding?
2. 3-point?
3. No dynamo running the show at PG?
4. Other?

I know that lack of post presence gobbling up boards is probably what most would say, but I think the lack of a great 3 point shooter or two may ultimately keep us from winning a championship.

No glass eating animal inside.

No glass eating animal inside.

Not saying it isn’t a concern......but so far Tennessee is +7.3 rebounds per game over last year.

Top 30 in rebound margin right now too.

Hopefully the rebounding will be much improved throughout this season (over last year).

14 and 9 minutes. Nkamhoua is gradually building up his court time. He disappeared last year.
ON was active, looked under control, and looked like he knew what he wanted to do offensively, tonight. His best game of the season. If we could get that kind of game from him consistently, then I'd be over the moon. 6 pts and 2 rebs in 9 minutes. His defense was a bit lacking tonight and he committed 4 fouls in those 9 minutes, but he wasn't a complete liability.

ON was active, looked under control, and looked like he knew what he wanted to do offensively, tonight. His best game of the season. If we could get that kind of game from him consistently, then I'd be over the moon. 6 pts and 2 rebs in 9 minutes. His defense was a bit lacking tonight and he committed 4 fouls in those 9 minutes, but he wasn't a complete liability.
Starting to see more and more glimpses of what it is the coaches might be seeing in practice, given the fact this year doesn’t count it doesn’t seem that big of a stretch that he could be a contributor in the post in the future.

Starting to see more and more glimpses of what it is the coaches might be seeing in practice, given the fact this year doesn’t count it doesn’t seem that big of a stretch that he could be a contributor in the post in the future.
I'm finding some things to like, myself.

He’s kind of mirroring last year so far. But St Joe might be better than the buy game teams he was in against a year ago. He might end up being a significant contributor this year. Next year he’ll be a sophomore with 2 years under his belt.

Reactions: cncchris33
I think the players and coaches are still trying to figure out their roles.
We really need to play an away game to see how our chemistry is. Home is more comfortable. I want to know how they react when they are not comfortable

Wow. It is hard for me to believe that 3 point shooting might be our biggest weakness, but if I were the opposing coach, I would play a zone, and make Tennessee prove they could beat it.

I wonder if we might have trouble with depth in the paint. If Fulky and Anosike get into foul trouble, do our subs there help keep us in the game against a top 20 team? We might be forced to go with a smaller lineup (not a terrible option), and beat them with quickness. Our guards are mostly tall anyway. So, it covers up for this weekness to some extent.

That's all I got. We look pretty strong everywhere else.
I think our biggest concern is depth at the 4 and 5 positions. When we run into really goo d zone defenses, the inside game has to be able to score and rebound. Fulky can not do it alone for the entire game and he has been known to get into foul trouble.

I think the players and coaches are still trying to figure out their roles.
We really need to play an away game to see how our chemistry is. Home is more comfortable. I want to know how they react when they are not comfortable
We play @#14 Missouri in 8 days, we will definitely see our team uncomfortable there, very excited for that game. Missouri better beat Bradley tonight so we can give them there first loss

Main potential weakness I see this team having is post defense. If we play a team with a solid big man, I could see us struggling to guard him. Plus, not near as much depth there if Fulk gets on foul trouble.

Good news is our perimeter length and the pressure we put on the ball should make it harder for teams to feed the post on us.
I really think those are the deficiencies Barnes sees, and that is why he is trying to get ON and Uros minutes in hopes they can be decent when needed.

VN Store

Back