What would rules enforcement look like once the NCAA is out of the picture?

NIL “Now It’s Legal”. As much as we don’t like the NCAA tactics, there is a need for rules enforcement and punishment going downstream. What is that gonna look like?

Let’s say they make a college football general manager like the NFL, What if they put the old Bama grandad GOAT Nick Saban in that position. My analogy is Kirk Herbstreit calling an Ohio State came. He’s neutral, right?

For college football care needs to be taken at this point to get it right. It’s like the founding fathers after the revolutionary war. Whatever path is forged, we will be stuck with it for a long time. NCAA had a needed purpose. Their justice wasn’t consistent though and here we are.
I'm gonna take the other side for argument's sake. Why not have rules on the field and just let everyone do whatever they want off of it? Murca, free enterprise, and all that stuff. If you can't hang with the big boys, get out of the arena. Noting illegal, of course, but other than that, anything goes.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
I'm gonna take the other side for argument's sake. Why not have rules on the field and just let everyone do whatever they want off of it? Murca, free enterprise, and all that stuff. If you can't hang with the big boys, get out of the arena. Noting illegal, of course, but other than that, anything goes.
Is stealing signs "illegal" or playing players beyond eligibility "illegal?"

Someone has to police things or you end up in a Rollerball situation where anything that doesn't end up in criminal court goes.

I'm not sure we've reached that dystopian tipping point yet and I'm a HUGE believer in govt authority being reined in.

NIL “Now It’s Legal”. As much as we don’t like the NCAA tactics, there is a need for rules enforcement and punishment going downstream. What is that gonna look like?

Let’s say they make a college football general manager like the NFL, What if they put the old Bama grandad GOAT Nick Saban in that position. My analogy is Kirk Herbstreit calling an Ohio State came. He’s neutral, right?

For college football care needs to be taken at this point to get it right. It’s like the founding fathers after the revolutionary war. Whatever path is forged, we will be stuck with it for a long time. NCAA had a needed purpose. Their justice wasn’t consistent though and here we are.
Honestly totally getting rid of the NCAA is a terrible idea. College sports become the wild wild west. It would basically be the SEC and BIG10. The NCAA needs to be reformed and restructured not done away with. There does need to be a single governing body.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

the presidents and chancellors of the universities control the NCAA. If the NCAA goes away, the presidents and chancellors will establish another NCAA and call it some other name. But it will still be controlled by the Presidents and Chancellors.

Whatever rules and policies all members create will be the new way things are done. MY guess would be, not a lot different than the current.

Be interesting to see what recommendations that the B10 and SEC come up with. Hope it doesn't take 3-4 years but with administrators, they drag their feet.

My thoughts

That is one reason the SEC and the Big Ten are working together to discuss this and other questions. So, no one yet knows what it will look like.

Reactions: ptcarter
Kavanaugh is crazy. Since when is the NCAA/College Football a conventional business? It's not in any way a conventional business. These are publc universities. The players are full-tiime students--fact--not "workers." And they are getting "paid" in the form of a free college scholarship--free tuition, housing, food, medical care, tutoring, counseling and the coaching that gives some the opportunity to play pro football. That's all probably worth $50K a year. So this notion that the players aren't paid is abject nonsense. Beyond that, a big chunk of football revenue is used to subsidize 15/20 other sports that lose money and will always lose money. What conventional businesses invest millions annually in endeavors that are guaranteed to lose money? None. If college football were a real business and the student-athletes were actually "workers," then they wouldn't be getting help from professional coaches every day.

College football has been around for 100 years. Games have been televised for 60 years. The idea of paying student-athletes rarely if ever came up in the past. But, now, suddenly, we have a couple of judges who purport to be aghast that full-time student-athletes are not getting paychecks in addition to their free college education? What's really happened is that this myth has arisen that because CFB generates so much money, people must be getting rich at the expense of the players. Nobody is getting rich but the head coaches--who are certainly overpaid. But that's it. And there's been a lot of social-justice blather around it too.

Somebody will have to decide who's in charge: The universities and the NCAA or the student-athletes. We seem in this moment of wanting to indulge the kids, in my view.

As for the NCAA: Fans like to bash the NCAA mainly because they don't like their programs being investigated and get their backs up. It's all nonsense. In the years ahead, whether it's the NCAA or some other entitly, there will be rules, there will be enforcement mechanisms--and there will be crazy fans who get their undies in a knot if their program runs afoul of the rules and is investigated or sanctioned. Waaaa!

The NCAA is a member organization: UT and every other university constitutes the NCAA. So one would think that the NCAA and the conference leaders would come together--as I assume they do now--and hash out all these issues and try to keep some common sense and integrity amid the chaotic mess that is still supposed to be COLLEGE football. One big problem is that most fans, especially in certain regions, don't seem to relate very well to the college part of all this.
The NCAA cannot - nor can anyone else - limit the earning potential of an athlete's NIL to 50K per year if an open market would earn him more. Maximizing our earnings is a basic, fundamental right that we all have, whether we are enrolled in college or playing sports under scholarship at college or not.

the presidents and chancellors of the universities control the NCAA. If the NCAA goes away, the presidents and chancellors will establish another NCAA and call it some other name. But it will still be controlled by the Presidents and Chancellors.

Whatever rules and policies all members create will be the new way things are done. MY guess would be, not a lot different than the current.

Be interesting to see what recommendations that the B10 and SEC come up with. Hope it doesn't take 3-4 years but with administrators, they drag their feet.

My thoughts
I agree that is likely to happen, but it will have to be a little different. First the courts need to rule that the NCAA not go after anyone till this gets straightened out in the courts.The NCAA cannot keep going down the same road they are on now. The rule book needs to revised and carefully thought out. The prosecuting end of the next oversight needs to be more helping schools stay in line with whatever guidelines and there needs to be equal representation for all schools and power 5 conferences on the board. And info gathered against any school should be protected and discussed with other board members and the school involved. The way the NCAA rule book was always thick and the demands were too much for the NCAA to actively pursue. So there remedy even if only sub consciously at first was to investigate the easy things. And if big investigate the schools easiest to punish with the least resistance and come down hard if necessary. Their rulings are all on record to see, uneven and inconsistent rulings in similar cases. Folks caught red handed getting slaps on wrist while others getting more punishment for lesser offenses. It’s like a landscaper that has so much business that he can no longer keep up so he starts cherry picking the yards he wants to save and just roll the dice with the others.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I don’t think the NCAA is going anywhere any time soon. Sometimes power moves are made to look as though it is an effort to advance when in reality, they are just trying to hold ground. That said, I don’t think the NCAA anticipated being sued. I think what happens or should happen is that the NCAA is told to back off. Perhaps they are fined a little bit to cover court costs, and minor damages, but they aren’t suddenly responsible for millions of dollars. I think they get slapped hard on the wrists and the NCCAA goes through restructuring and people are fired in order to save the jobs of others’. In the future the NCAA runs a tighter ship.
This would be the great ending most would take. But only if the NCAA truly does remodel and work with the power 5 teams and NIL better. Most folks just want a level playing field and let the rest get settled on the field. GBO

Is the NCAA COI (Committee of Infractions) truley 3rd party? I think they made changes a few years ago. Miami's AD Paul Dee being the Chair of the COI brought upon negative attention.
Abbreviated: Paul Dee leveled USC with the most severe sanctions in 20 years, then a few years later UM got popped with a plethora of similar Infractions..... The NCAA made noise about utilizing 3rd party review, but I don't know the extent of which they followed through.

The new league needs to utilize true 3rd party arbitration for enforcement. 3rd party arbitration isn't just for professional sports.

As I understand it, the NCAA has brought in outside 3rd party consultants, but they have little final say on enforcement.

If anyone could provide clarity or educate me on this, I'd appreciate it.

TLDR
Prevent the aforementioned Paul Dee scenario. No member school should have any involvement in assessing infractions or penalizing other member schools.

This makes no sense. If by oversight you mean rules enforcement, then you can't leave it to individual conferences because each would enforce rules differently--some more strictly than others. Some might let things go if they thought the conference would suffer if certain member programs were sanctioned. There has to be an independent governing body that works closely with the conferences and that has power. No matter who governs the sport, fans will bitch and whine when their programs get into trouble. That's a given.
I actually agree with you on this point.

Once we start extrapolating, I doubt we agree on much else however. Player NIL would be completely outside of their purview.

I was just thinking about the late Roy Adams AKA TennStud. He once talked about admitting to NCAA about giving cash and cars to other players he knew going to school somewhere besides UT. He claimed he never helped a UT player and was adamant about that. They were just players he liked and just wanted to help he stated. I remember Cortez Kennedy was one of them. I was just thinking he was a UT booster in the NCAA’s eyes but they apparently didn’t have a problem with him helping players go to other schools.

This would be the great ending most would take. But only if the NCAA truly does remodel and work with the power 5 teams and NIL better. Most folks just want a level playing field and let the rest get settled on the field. GBO
The NIL cannot "work" with NIL. They can't touch it. The NCAA rules don't override federal law. The Sherman Antitrust Act.

I’m thinking there’s no longer anything financially to enforce. Wild West. The cost of football is self regulating because it’s so huge, but the other sports are going to be strange.

My thoughts
The Big 10 and SEC are probably coming to the realization that they don’t want schools like Colorado St, San Jose St, MTSU, etc having say on how SEC/ Big 10 programs are going to operate.
The NCAA is a cartel that was empowered to extract free labor from talented athletes that had high market value on behalf of Universities. Now that it has exploded in their faces, they are searching for a raison d’etre.

The Big 10 and SEC are probably coming to the realization that they don’t want schools like Colorado St, San Jose St, MTSU, etc having say on how SEC/ Big 10 programs are going to operate.
The NCAA is a cartel that was empowered to extract free labor from talented athletes that had high market value on behalf of Universities. Now that it has exploded in their faces, they are searching for a raison d’etre.

IMO, the Big 10 and SEC are going to do everything possible to modify things that allows an NCAA type organization to function. I think they want the over sight and they want to protect the athletic departments of the smaller schools which can't survive in their current state without the NCAA funding they get.

We might see an NCAA still in place but the P5 type schools will have more say about how things function from a rules and oversight perspective. The rules are going to allow players to receive compensation that follow whatever laws that get implements. There is going to have to be laws established at a national level because having each state establish their own laws will favor the schools within that state.

The smaller schools will agree or lose athletics for many.

I think that will be the objective of this advisory committee. Of course I could be wrong.

I realize that compensation is going to happen for players. But how do you get it funded? If you look at Tennessee's financial breakdown for 2022-23 even with there being a profit, they would be able to pay 580 athletes with that profit margin. So the revenue has to increase and come from somewhere, likely donation requirements for tickets and ticket prices will help.

How do schools address Title IX? Will there be expectations that female athletes be paid on the same scale as men athletes? How will the law view that and the courts which will likely have cases before them.

Lot of dynamics that have not been thought about....

IMO, the Big 10 and SEC are going to do everything possible to modify things that allows an NCAA type organization to function. I think they want the over sight and they want to protect the athletic departments of the smaller schools which can't survive in their current state without the NCAA funding they get.

We might see an NCAA still in place but the P5 type schools will have more say about how things function from a rules and oversight perspective. The rules are going to allow players to receive compensation that follow whatever laws that get implements. There is going to have to be laws established at a national level because having each state establish their own laws will favor the schools within that state.

I think that will be the objective of this advisory committee. Of course I could be wrong.

I realize that compensation is going to happen for players. But how do you get it funded? If you look at Tennessee's financial breakdown for 2022-23 even with there being a profit, they would be able to pay 580 athletes with that profit margin. So the revenue has to increase and come from somewhere, likely donation requirements for tickets and ticket prices will help.

How do schools address Title IX? Will there be expectations that female athletes be paid on the same scale as men athletes? How will the law view that and the courts which will likely have cases before them.

The answer to Title IX is to friend a women's football team. Go Lady Gridiron Vols! 😁😁

Depending on the current Congress to pass even meaningful and needed legislation is a quixotic hope.

Now that you mention it, holding hearings, making speeches, and finally passing legislation to help sports in America while ignoring various serious domestic problems sounds like something DC would do.

As you mention, UT will even struggle to get money to pay athletes but there's no way smaller schools can justify raising money to pay athletes given the often painfully low salaries of professors with PhDs. Schools are educational institutions, first, not sports businesses.

Tear the bandaid off. Form or join a pro league, separate the media funded revenue schools and revenue sports from the schools in those pro leagues and HOPE the Courts allow college athletics to survive.

Otherwise, the heavily media funded athletic departments in the SEC and B1G are effectively killing sports at small schools.

This makes no sense. If by oversight you mean rules enforcement, then you can't leave it to individual conferences because each would enforce rules differently--some more strictly than others. Some might let things go if they thought the conference would suffer if certain member programs were sanctioned. There has to be an independent governing body that works closely with the conferences and that has power. No matter who governs the sport, fans will bitch and whine when their programs get into trouble. That's a given.

leave it to individual conferences because each would enforce rules differently--some more strictly than others.
Recall when in college basketball some conferences were allowed to implement the 3 point shot and others did not for a few seasons? That difference ended up making the college game better and more entertaining, not to mention fairer. I see the very idea you suggested as being healthy and would end up making the game better and more entertaining not to mention fairer. Just one idea, one conference may remove or soften rules for targeting say removing next game suspension whereas another may make it more hurtful making it a two game suspension. All sorts of differences could occur and end up making the game better. The market or fans will decide which ultimately is better. Cross conference play could still occur and before the game decide which conference rules prevail, they do that stuff all the time. I do not see why we have an NCAA at all in the 21st century. They're nothing but a nuisance and major financial suck.

There will be a committee made up of the P5 conference commisioners, the G5 commisioners, and 3 or 4 others to make it an odd number when.including the commissioner.

The commissioner needs to come from outside the realm of college sports with no real ties or affiliations to any one institution.
While their job will be day to day and enforcement, his or her vote will only count as 1 vote on the committee.

The committee will meet to set doctrine, rules, and guidelines as well as rule on I stances where the rules were broken or need clarity.
Rules need to be voted on by the collective members rather than shoved down our throats.

Reactions: IndianaVol
I think everybody wants a oversight committee. I want it too be fair and upfront and organized, I think that is what most teams in the sec and power 5 want. The NCAA has just gotten greedy and more interested in power and money than being a truly fair and organized governing body. GBO
Nailed it ! ! ! ! The NCAA has its own agenda and it’s not for the athletes that put their bodies on the line.

If ya want someone who truly knows and loves the game... who will always be honest.... Tim Tebow. He can report to his boss, Peyton Manning.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back