What would it take to change your mind about JG?

VolforFootball

I like pizza
JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

Very weak that this was merged into a thread. I mean, I guess I get it from a mod standpoint. But really wanted a different take on JG, that being a thread that was actually positive in nature regarding the young man.

Reactions: LittleVol

Simply a Qb who can make standard throws and reads. A Qb who on an important third down conversion can be expected to handle pressure and make a play over 50% of the time ( reasonable vs long shot).

Simply a Qb who can make standard throws and reads. A Qb who on an important third down conversion can be expected to handle pressure and make a play over 50% of the time ( reasonable vs long shot).

With our o-line and running game, there's no reason this should be reasonable expectations. Anything less would only go to further sour the taste in our mouths of his play.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Very weak that this was merged into a thread. I mean, I guess I get it from a mod standpoint. But really wanted a different take on JG, that being a thread that was actually positive in nature regarding the young man.
200 JG threads and you seriously think you’re going to have a positive one? It’s the same thread every...Single.... Time.

I get what you’re saying about his playmaking ability and missing big throws, but as hard as it is to believe, he was actually one of the best in the SEC on 3rd down.

I get what you’re saying about his playmaking ability and missing big throws, but as hard as it is to believe, he was actually one of the best in the SEC on 3rd down.
I have not researched the stats. I just know he seemed out of his comfort zone in my memory of his play the last two years. Simply not confident. I know we were not good but the Qb has to be the leader in inspiring a team to play better. JG so far has failed at this challenge.

Reactions: chuckb1448
His reputation is sitting about where Crompton's was heading into his senior campaign. Probably a bit better honestly. With a strong OL and speed and talent all over at WR, a decent run game, plus staff continuity for once ... Jarrett has a great opportunity to make a lot of us eat crow. And I for one would love to sit down to a platter of it come January.

Some of it is justified, some of it is probably unfair. Fair or not, the QB gets most of the blame. For me, it's the inopportune mistakes (Alabama), or just the seemingly random terrible throws (BYU). But then he has a game like Auburn. The talent is there, its the mental aspect that seems to come and go week to week.

While I've been critical of his play, the kid has given his all for Tennessee. You can't ask for much more than that.

His reputation is sitting about where Crompton's was heading into his senior campaign. Probably a bit better honestly. With a strong OL and speed and talent all over at WR, a decent run game, plus staff continuity for once ... Jarrett has a great opportunity to make a lot of us eat crow. And I for one would love to sit down to a platter of it come January.

Agreed. I'd love for him to not look like a Miami Hurricanes qb since they started going 8-5 in a good year.

A turnaround season like Jonathan Crompton’s last with us.

Reactions: Remy
His reputation is sitting about where Crompton's was heading into his senior campaign. Probably a bit better honestly.
JG may not be great, but he is light years ahead of where Crompton was coming off 2008. He’s probably already had 2 seasons that were close to Crompton’s Senior year.

Reactions: livefaith
You can only peel a grape so many times until it's just mush. That's where we all are with JG. For me to have JG turn it around he has to beat at least one but preferably all of the Big 3 in Bama, UGA, or UF. No interceptions or turnovers of any kind against the Big 3. His throws all have to be done in rhythm and on time, no sacks, and throws the ball away rather than a loss or sack.

Last edited:

I like that stat line for any qb in the sec. I’d be in on that.

I’ve always been one of his most staunch defenders, and only take issue with “hate” of one of our boys being justified. Has his play been sub-optimal at times? Absolutely. But he was never meant to be Peyton (any assertion to the contrary will be disregarded as low-iq and ignored).

I think history will treat him very well. He’s had a new OC practically every semester, trash O-Lines for multiple years and a marketing professional as a Head Coach to start. The roller coaster he’s been on and the way he’s stayed the course shows quite a bit of grit in my opinion (not to mention the very real thrashing he’s taken, some from holding the ball too long, I understand that dummies). But I think this kid will be a VFL we’ll all be proud of one day. He’s a genuinely good kid that has had the full spectrum of the college athlete experience (hopefully completing the journey to and through a very successful sr campaign).

Play well against a team with a pulse. Only passes he ever completes end with the receiver getting tackled upon completion. Has he ever thrown a pass to a receiver in stride?

VN Store

Back