What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

Dong remember my 1st.

Best was TOOL Sunday night in Raleigh. Had seats in the 10th row and VIP afterparty passes...and their new album and production this time is amazing. Played for 2 hours and 20 mins. From all 5 albums. All the hits...amazing show. Have seen them twice and Perfect Circle before. Nothing like this.

Had tickets to see Ponk Floyd at Clemson in the 90s...my favorite band sans TOOL...got locked up and couldnt go. Was 17. Damn.

Worst ever....hmmm. Korn was terrible once...also nearly every rap act that I used to really like as a kid. Rap sucks live in outdoor venues. Badly. Snoop was an exception. WuTang was also. Everyone else I ever saw was terrible.

Surprisingly great????

Steve Miller Band at Park City Utah
Natural amphitheater cliffs 3 sides...amazing show...2 encores. Was the best show I ever saw until sunday...and that was 25 years ago. That good...joker.
Wild mountain honey..take money and run...etc.etc...very very good

Tool’s latest show is simply amazing. Saw them in Chicago (Open Air) and they did Invincible and Descending. Awesome. Then the album came out and saw them in Vegas then PDX. Can’t describe how great these shows were. Everything seemingly came together from the band through the lighting and video. I’ve seen them a few times in the last 5 years but these shows were perfect.

Last edited:
My first concert was Simple Plan in '07. The worst - maybe when I saw Shamir in 2019? And then the best would be a tough call between 2011 Roo where it was MMJ into Arcade Fire into Ratatat or 2017 Shaky Knees where it was Portugal. the Man into Cage the Elephant into LCD Soundsystem.

Reactions: MAD
My first concert was Simple Plan in '07. The worst - maybe when I saw Shamir in 2019? And then the best would be a tough call between 2011 Roo where it was MMJ into Arcade Fire into Ratatat or 2017 Shaky Knees where it was Portugal. the Man into Cage the Elephant into LCD Soundsystem.

You know you're old when you've never heard of these bands..

I think my daughter listens to Cage the Elephant. Alternative rock band?

What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

First: Steve Winwood, Roll with it tour in 1988, Columbus, Ohio, had backstage passes, was so much fun. One of my favorite songs back in the early 80’s was “While you see a chance”

Best: Smokey Robinson, in 2000, Columbus Zoo Amphitheater. That guy was incredible, plus I don’t think he ages.

Worst: UB40, 1988, Columbus, Ohio. I have always loved this band, but was disappointed that it seemed like it was lip synced, sounded exactly like the CD, not live at all.

First: The Doobie Brothers - December, 1974; a “going away present,” just before heading off the Paris Island.

Best: Neil Diamond, The Forum, Los Angeles, in (pretty sure) summer of 1983, and I’m being totally biased because he’s been my favorite since the late-sixties. Saw him twice during that Eight Night Stand. It began with “Coming To America,” and went from there. On my second go around, I seriously thought my Neil Diamond-worshiping date would actually faint! One of those very few times I willfully shared my lover with another man.

Worst: Gordon Lightfoot, The Greek Theater, Los Angeles, also mid-eighties. A very talented performer who decided, mid-show to produce about a five-minute political tirade/tantrum. I literally don’t recall for certain what the subject was or which side he was on (though I think he was left-leaning, which hardly mattered at the time), but he surely was aware that approximately half the audience, who paid hard-earned money to hear his music, had opposing views. He literally ruined his own show, because he and his band were otherwise excellent.

First: Poison/Slaughter/Bullet Boys at the Coliseum in Memphis
Best: Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals at the Ryman in 2000. Felt like the place was going to collapse with the Faded/ Whole Lotta Love closer
Worst: 3 Doors down? IDK, I've seen a lot of mediocre bands but nothing that just blows me away as bad. Might put Poison above them in the bad category

Seen most: DMB 17 times, once with front row center at the BJCC in Birmingham, AL.

Also worth noting (to me anyways): 3 of the 5 drunkest times in my life have come at North Mississippi Allstars concerts. Love the music, just makes me feel like drinking I guess

Band I regret NOT seeing the most: Rush

Reactions: GoVols64 and MAD
The Simple Plan concert, was that with Bowling for Soup and Jag Star in Knoxville? If so, I introduced them on stage. I believe that was “Star Jam.” That was when I was with Star 102.1.

Looking for some help. Wife and I attended a concert in Knoxville during the 1982 worlds fair with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and Cheap Trick. Does anyone remember the third group?

First-Cheap Trick 1981
Best-Tie John Cougar Melloncamp 1988
Travis Tritt-2001
Paul Rodgers and Queen 2006
AC/DC - 1981 For those about to Rock Tour. Saw them twice-Nashville and the Capital Center in Landover Md.

Worst-IDK Maybe Ted Nugent and Molly Hatchett-1981 or 1982. At the time I thought their music were repetitious and boring. However , they had both replaced their original singers on that tour.
Oops-Forgot about Bob Seger Knoxville 1996 - 5 way tie for best then. Hard to pick one but Travis Tritt in his prime was the best all around talent I have seen in concert.

I recall going to Riverbend several times when I was younger, though I don't recall who I saw. Pretty sure Charlie Daniels was one.

First real concert I went to was Dierks Bentley in to2004 when he was still a new artist.

Worst concert was Counting Crows. Came on before Matchbox 20.

Best is Garth Brooks in Nashville.

Reactions: tennvols77 and MAD
First-Cheap Trick 1981
Best-Tie John Cougar Melloncamp 1988
Travis Tritt-2001
Paul Rodgers and Queen 2006
AC/DC - 1981 For those about to Rock Tour. Saw them twice-Nashville and the Capital Center in Landover Md.

Worst-IDK Maybe Ted Nugent and Molly Hatchett-1981 or 1982. At the time I thought their music were repetitious and boring. However , they had both replaced their original singers on that tour.
Oops-Forgot about Bob Seger Knoxville 1996 - 5 way tie for best then. Hard to pick one but Travis Tritt in his prime was the best all around talent I have seen in concert.

never had chance to cheap trick live --- cutting live album in japan was great career move ... surrender remains a favorite

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
First: Ray Stevens or Sandi Patty
Worst: Christian Band my wife dragged me to years ago. Was at the TN theater, loudest noise ive ever heard.
Best: Panic with Violent Femmes at WFP. Lenny Kravitz & Blues Traveler @ Horde. Blue Highway at Hoofers Gospel Barn.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back