What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

First - Wallflowers and Counting Crows at Starwood in the mid 90s, maybe 1996/7?

Best - really hard one to narrow down. Metallica 2009 in Bridgestone was awesome, Disturbed last year in Bridgestone was awesome, and Tool in 2016 at Bridgestone were all awesome.

Worst - Runner up would be Dave Matthews Band at Starwood in the late 90s, maybe 2000. I like DMB though I'm not a huge fan, but they have many songs I like. But this concert was so boring. He played like 3 hours, he re-arranged and slowed down almost every song, and at one point I actually fell asleep and so did 2 others in our group. We left before it ended, which is something I rarely ever do at concerts.

But the worst was Third Eye Blind in Nashville in the early 2000s. It was when their popularity was starting to drop but they weren't completely gone yet. I was never a fan but the wife had been and we got tickets cheap. I can't remember the opening band but they were pretty meh. And it was at Municipal Auditorium and it was far from a sellout, there were tons of empty seats and the GA floor was maybe half full, so it didn't look great. And when TEB took the stage it was like when the lead singer saw the crowd size he got pissed and decided to just go through the motions and get through the set. Even some of the people walking out that were actual TEB fans were complaining about the performance. Thing was we had seem them in Louisville about 4 years earlier when they were much bigger and again while I wasn't a TEB fan, they put on a good show then. So by this show you could tell they were pretty done.

Reactions: MAD
Seems like a lot of "Ted Nugent" in the worst category. I've had several people tell me it was just loud noise. My Doctor blames his wearing hearing aids on Nugent. Said his ears rang in the car after the concert.

I was at a show at the old 328 Performance Hall in Nashville in 2000. I don't remember who the band was, but they were an alt-rock band. I ended up near the amps with no earplugs, and I couldn't hear for almost 3 days and I was sure I had permanent hearing loss. I got so upset I went to my doctor and he said he thought I'd be fine but maybe next time remember the ear plugs.

How is your hearing?
Mine sucks, and I blame rock music. Still love it if good quality though.

Yea, r&r probaly didn’t help my hearing but neither did fireworks, shooting firearms, loud work or being at Vol games during the best of times
Who said “r&r was “made loud, to be played loud” ?

First- Elton John and Kee Kee Dee in Honolulu Hawaii 1974, Aerosmith 1974 Honolulu Hawaii, Billy Preston Hawaii 1974
Worst-Ted Nugent Knoxville, TN 1977, he sounded terrible
Best-Well there are a few, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Wet Willie, Knoxville 1977, Jackson Brown Knoxville 1978, Doobie Brothers Knoxville 1980, John Cougar Melllencamp Knoxville 1987

Last edited:
Reactions: PEPPERJAX and MAD
Best concert I've ever attended: Zappa Plays Zappa @ the Tabernacle, Atlanta, 2006. Dweezil was the leader of the band, no doubt...but he had some familiar faces from his dad's heyday present as well (Steve Vai, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Terry Bozzio, and Denny Whalley). Great show! Added bonus was that I was able to surprise by Dad with a ticket as well, as he was the one responsible for my growing up listening to Frank Zappa and the Mothers.

Worst concert I've ever attended: I can't even remember the band's name but it was at Jack Rabbits in Jacksonville, FL. That venue was horrible, the acoustics were horrible, and it was filled to capacity with a bunch of sweaty hipsters (the A/C was either long gone or grossly undersized).

Reactions: GoVols64 and MAD
The best concert that I attended was Van Halen in Augusta,Georgia at the Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center on July 14th 1982 and the worst that I attended was Twisted Sister who opened for Iron Maiden October 20th 1983 at the Charlotte Coliseum. The opening act for Van Halen was After The Fire.

What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

First: Steve Winwood, Roll with it tour in 1988, Columbus, Ohio, had backstage passes, was so much fun. One of my favorite songs back in the early 80’s was “While you see a chance”

Best: Smokey Robinson, in 2000, Columbus Zoo Amphitheater. That guy was incredible, plus I don’t think he ages.

Worst: UB40, 1988, Columbus, Ohio. I have always loved this band, but was disappointed that it seemed like it was lip synced, sounded exactly like the CD, not live at all.

traffic was big miss for me in late 80s, saw smokey several times in mid-60s

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
First: Rare Earth in 1970
Best: So many, but I'd have to say Pink Floyd 1973, David Bowie in 1974, Frank Zappa 1975
Worst: Ted Nugent

Yeah, I'm old.
old too, missed bowie on first tour but i cant b say enough about his show at fox theatre ... , stereophonics opened for bowie and very few in the crowd had ever heard of them

First - Chicago. My older brother was a big fan, and saw them back in the day with Terry Kath, Peter Cetera. They would also be one of my best with their production mix of brass, percussion, and Kath playing lead guitar along with vocals from Cetera and Lamb.

Best - Eagles tour in the 70's. Always loved their harmonies, and iirc I think the lead in band was Andrew Gold (basically a one hit wonder band). Keith Urban is also one of my favorites. Seen him a few times. Always has a very entertaining show, and if you enjoy good music his band is filled with stellar musicians (obviously including himself).

Worst - Rob Thomas (sans Matchbox 20). Saw him at Chastain in Atlanta and it was just so so. The sound wasn't great (likely partly due to the sound system at Chastain), but also Thomas did nothing to engage the audience.... could have placed a CD player on the stage and it would have been just as entertaining.

had good fortune to see chicago in 1969 in 1,000-seat venue. first two albums were only ones i ever bought.

saw eagles with meissner, bernie leadon in one of first concerts ever held in von braun civic center

First: Kiss on Crazy Nights Tour, KCMO 2/20/88

Best: not sure I can pick one? Tool (last show before quarantine) recently was incredible. PJ in early 90s @ KU in Lawrence, KS, Motley Crue @ Thompson Bowling Arena in support of Dr. Feelgood (Tommy Lee got arrested for mooning audience!). ZBB is always a great show.... Favorite may be Metallica @ Centurylink a couple years ago. Won lottery for snake pit tix and it was amazing experience.

Worst: Maybe Queensryche w/new singer at fairgrounds in WA. Not bad per se but not on level of other shows.

Jim Ed Brown, Cedartown, Ga.
Hmmm, tough, but Roger Waters (Atlanta) edges out a Monkees (Albany, Ga) concert (it was a hell of a lot fun!)

Loverboy, Tallahassee, Fl.

There are some close ones for best however. Commodores (Tallahassee ) and Chicago (Valdosta) and went to the CMA awards one year.

Oh no. Best was Fleetwood Mac, floor seats, Atlanta.

Jim Ed Brown, Cedartown, Ga.
Hmmm, tough, but Roger Waters (Atlanta) edges out a Monkees (Albany, Ga) concert (it was a hell of a lot fun!)

Loverboy, Tallahassee, Fl.

There are some close ones for best however. Commodores (Tallahassee ) and Chicago (Valdosta) and went to the CMA awards one year.

Oh no. Best was Fleetwood Mac, floor seats, Atlanta.

cedartown?
had family from there, but i've never associated it with a concert
never made a fleetwood mac show and was a big fan well before buckingham-nicks

Reactions: Go aeiou and MAD
Not much of a concert person - but here are my three.

First: Jars of Clay

Best: Tie between Garth Brooks out of retirement concert here in KC (entertaining) and Keith Urban early in his career (talented)

Worst: Goo Goo Dolls at Fiesta Bowl New Year's Eve Street Party before the 1998 National Championship Game.

Reactions: MAD and GoVols64
Not much of a concert person - but here are my three.

First: Jars of Clay

Best: Tie between Garth Brooks out of retirement concert here in KC (entertaining) and Keith Urban early in his career (talented)

Worst: Goo Goo Dolls at Fiesta Bowl New Year's Eve Street Party before the 1998 National Championship Game.

Totally forgot about Garth! I’m ashamed. That was an amazing show!

VN Store

Back