What type of OC do we need?

HooahVol

Since there are a plethora of threads on the offensive coordinators people want I would like this one to be about the one we need. To determine that we really need to look at our current personnel. The positives for our offense is I do believe when given time JG is a good QB. He is excellent on 3rd down conversions. He can use his legs. I am confident as well our offensive line will be better. It can't get any worse right? In the 2019 recruiting class we already have four offensive linemen committed including Wanya Morris, a five-star offensive tackle, is UT’s No. 1 recruit. I realize those guys are going to have to mature very quickly and may struggle the first few games but we are running a marathon here, not a sprint. We will have some decent tb's returning like Ty Chandler. We should still have a decent receiving corp. To me that all adds up to a shotgun spread involving RPO. In fact, I can not see any other offense that would work better with the players we will have on the field. Our O-line needs more experience before running a pro-style and the shotgun gives JG a little extra time. Pruitt is not unaware of this either because it is essentially what Bama runs.

What say you guys? Is there an offense that our current team is better suited for? If not, who are the best shotgun spread/RPO guys that are available?

Reactions: tbh and FïreBall
We should follow best practices of optimal college football offenses:

1) Run threat QB ("threat" does not mean ran constantly, just needs to be a threat, at least)

2) Optionality - RPOs, as an example

3) Simplicity - Keep it simple and excel at quick decisions/easy reads. Don't overburden the QB.

4) Space - spread the F OUT. Data proves spread is best for running the ball.

5) Pace - use tempo, at least some. Don't have to be gung ho, but use tempo strategically, at the very least.

The five elements of the optimal college football offense

Fwiw, Briles is a great example of someone that uses many of these best practices and they are synergistic. The more you use, the more effective each is.

1) Run threat QB ("threat" does not mean ran constantly, just needs to be a threat, at least)

3) Simplicity - Keep it simple and excel at quick decisions/easy reads. Don't overburden the QB.

5) Pace - use tempo, at least some. Don't have to be gung ho, but use tempo strategically, at the very least.

Fwiw, Briles is a great example of someone that uses many of these best practices and they are synergistic. The more you use, the more effective each is.

Thank you so much for that response. That is the actual football discussion I am looking for. My only question is do you need a lot of depth for up tempo? I still think we are going to be lacking in depth and it seems like defenses get worn out when they spend so much time on the field. Will we have the fresh legs on defense to make an up temp work?

Thank you so much for that response. That is the actual football discussion I am looking for. My only question is do you need a lot of depth for up tempo? I still think we are going to be lacking in depth and it seems like defenses get worn out when they spend so much time on the field. Will we have the fresh legs on defense to make an up temp work?

You need depth at WR and RB generally, which we do. The biggest thing you need is to be in great shape.

Honestly, I believe we need to get stronger and be able to run the ball...plus throw using more play action. We need passing concepts that used the whole field instead of 2 route combinations on each side that don’t interact with the other side. I also don’t want to go to the spread where we live on side to side running plays (Butch Jones style). We need to be more pro style with some RPO concepts.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
An OC that runs the type of offense that the team's that make the playoffs consistently run. Using the type of skill players and athletic qbs they have. Linemen of course are important in the SEC.

An OC that runs the type of offense that the team's that make the playoffs consistently run. Using the type of skill players and athletic qbs they have.

I see your point and it brings up another interesting one. Are we, the Vol fans, prepared to be patient enough to allow a potentially great OC to recruit and build up the type of team that wins championships or someone who can get our offense running well enough to make us competitive more quickly. Honestly, if you are wanting an offense that can compete against the big dogs you are probably looking at a multiyear commitment. 3 years at least.

Reactions: tbh and savannahfan
Play calling: We need to be adaptable to the players we have. You will never be able to recruit a deep enough and good enough roster to always run a gimmick offense at a high enough level to overcome the SEC talent of other teams. So any successful OC at UT will need to be able to adapt to the reality of a roster. I would prefer big bodied WRs that can move the chains and help move the LBs off the line to help the running game. I would prefer true #1 and #2 WRs and multi purpose backs to rotate in and a QB that is not a statue in the pocket. That seems to the best mix to avoid the trap of a gimmicky offense that is too player dependent. Give me smart strong willed OLine over any extreme measurables. OLine blocking is more about will than an extra 5 pounds or inch.

The name is secondary to the resume.

One of the very best at the RPO game is already on our staff and his name is Osovet.

I'm still thinking that Pruitt wants to be more multiple with a solid Pro set O but to also have some spread/RPO plays factored into it like some NFL teams are now doing more of.

The more different things we can throw at the other teams D, the more confused we'll keep them and the more we'll score.

I think Osovet was brought in by Pruitt to start the teaching and learning process to build a O that will become VERY hard to stop in 2 or 3 years or sooner if possible.

We could bounce from total Pro set, under center plays to a spread/RPO options real fast and hit some big plays before the other teams D has time to adjust.

Just my thoughts on why Osovet was brought here and what Pruitt might have in mind as our O grows into something special as we bring in the right players to run what we plan to grow into.

VFL...GBO!!!

One of the very best at the RPO game is already on our staff and his name is Osovet.

I'm still thinking that Pruitt wants to be more multiple with a solid Pro set O but to also have some spread/RPO plays factored into it like some NFL teams are now doing more of.

The more different things we can throw at the other teams D, the more confused we'll keep them and the more we'll score.

I think Osovet was brought in by Pruitt to start the teaching and learning process to build a O that will become VERY hard to stop in 2 or 3 years or sooner if possible.

We could bounce from total Pro set, under center plays to a spread/RPO options real fast and hit some big plays before the other teams D has time to adjust.

Just my thoughts on why Osovet was brought here and what Pruitt might have in mind as our O grows into something special as we bring in the right players to run what we plan to grow into.

VFL...GBO!!!

I did not realize that. Thank you. That is the first really exciting news I have heard about the program in awhile. I am just becoming more and more convinced spread/RPO is our best option and I really could care less if we cheat the linemen downfield some. The refs don't call it and other programs are doing it.

Your No. 2 and No. 3 just seem to me don't fit each other. RPO's are not simple. As you say they require quick, quick, quick. A QB has to "see" many things almost at the same time and make a complicated decision.

An OC that runs the type of offense that the team's that make the playoffs consistently run. Using the type of skill players and athletic qbs they have. Linemen of course are important in the SEC.

Other than maybe Bama this year??? Yes they run but they seem to me to throw consistently of Tua is the man.

I pretty much agree or certainly don't disagree with most of your thoughts. I do think tempo as you mentioned doesn't have to be all the time up tempo. But we need to be able to go fast if we need to and when the opportunity looks advantageous. My main thing is balance whether it's pass to run or run to pass, and I agree not all spreads neglect the run, many spreads offenses have success running and that is the best chance fit in the sec. Being able to be balanced and do a little of everything, while still being disciplined and take care of the football. Bama is a prime example that uses variations of many things but at the end of the day they can run the football and have the hosses at the LOS, that is the key. In many ways Jones offensive struggles were some of Pruitts main reasons for his struggles, whether the spread of the power formation if you don't get no blocking up front in the SEC your going to struggle no matter what offense it is. This is where recruiting becomes vital, and knowing how to implement personel into your system. Jones was horrible at it, for his system he should have been using Kamara much more instead of Hurd. Hurd was a I-formation power back that had to get a head of steam up before being effective, Kamara was a perfect fit for the system and was underutilized. Same with Worley running a rpo when everybody in the stands and watching the game knew he wasn't going to run nor was a threat too. Jones was in over his head. I think Pruitt will recruit players that either fit his system or can aapt to what he is running and won't be trying to put square pegs in round holes. GBO!!!!

VN Store

Back