What sports moment broke your heart the worst?

You got that right. That blocked FG rolled/bounced 40 yards if it went a foot.
There was no excuse for only scoring 6 points. That offense was balanced, talented, and deadly. I am still SMH. So many turnovers. So many blown opportunities. If Tennessee wins that game, they are in the National title conversation.

UT specific the 2001 SEC Championship, 2007 SEC Championship, several of the Florida games since 2004, the 2000 Sweet Sixteen collapse against UNC, the 2007 Sweet Sixteen collapse against Ohio St., 2019 Sweet 16 Purdue game.

Non-UT, Cubs choke in the 2003 NLCS.

UT specific the 2001 SEC Championship, 2007 SEC Championship, several of the Florida games since 2004, the 2000 Sweet Sixteen collapse against UNC, the 2007 Sweet Sixteen collapse against Ohio St., 2019 Sweet 16 Purdue game.

Non-UT, Cubs choke in the 2003 NLCS.
Still think the Purdue game was BS!

Reactions: MAD
I was a HUGE Daryl Waltrip fan for decades however, when Dale Sr. won the Daytona 500 in 1998 after many years of coming close, every single person on every single team on Pit Road spontaneously lined up to high five the greatest sports car driver of our generation. At times, I hated Dale cuz he knew how to win and beat my man DW but, you have to respect his unabashed style of racing in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Dale Earnhardt was The Intimidator , and I simply cannot watch that replay without tearing up. Pat's diagnosis was a close second.
I cry every time I watch this video. He did so much good, for several charities, and other drivers. But, he never needed any credit. A much better man, than he was ever given credit for, except by those who knew him best.

Reactions: N.ohio vol and MAD
I cry every time I watch this video. He did so much good, for several charities, and other drivers. But, he never needed any credit. A much better man, than he was ever given credit for, except by those who knew him best.

Agree, and just curious, do you remember where you were when Dale Earnhardt's death was announced? I was at the speedway in Daytona on Friday for the IROC race (two days prior to his fatal wreck), and two laps prior to the end, Dale Sr. spun out into the infield. Then, when the race was over, we could see that there was some kind of altercation on the back straightaway. We had no idea who was involved till we got back to our hotel in Clearwater Beach. Below is an excerpt and, another reason why NASCAR lost it's #1 Draw of all time just 48 hours later. And btw, I had just paid my parking fee at RDU airport late Sunday afternoon when news broke in about Dale Sr. I remember pulling over to the side of the road as I could not drive for at least 15 minutes.

There was vintage Dale Earnhardt, who led much of the race, and then was bumped aside and sent into the infield grass by Indy Racing League driver Eddie Cheever on the next-to-last lap.

And finally, after Jarrett had secured his win, there was confrontation.

Earnhardt drove his green-colored Pontiac Firebird up behind Cheever's on the backstretch on the cool-down lap and sent it for a spin. Once the two returned to pit road, Earnhardt climbed from his car, walked over to Cheever's and the two ended up in an embrace.

"Incredible," Jarrett called it.

"(Cheever's) an idiot," said Rudd

Reactions: MAD and kbear01
Agree, and just curious, do you remember where you were when Dale Earnhardt's death was announced? I was at the speedway in Daytona on Friday for the IROC race (two days prior to his fatal wreck), and two laps prior to the end, Dale Sr. spun out into the infield. Then, when the race was over, we could see that there was some kind of altercation on the back straightaway. We had no idea who was involved till we got back to our hotel in Clearwater Beach. Below is an excerpt and, another reason why NASCAR lost it's #1 Draw of all time just 48 hours later. And btw, I had just paid my parking fee at RDU airport late Sunday afternoon when news broke in about Dale Sr. I remember pulling over to the side of the road as I could not drive for at least 15 minutes.

There was vintage Dale Earnhardt, who led much of the race, and then was bumped aside and sent into the infield grass by Indy Racing League driver Eddie Cheever on the next-to-last lap.

And finally, after Jarrett had secured his win, there was confrontation.

Earnhardt drove his green-colored Pontiac Firebird up behind Cheever's on the backstretch on the cool-down lap and sent it for a spin. Once the two returned to pit road, Earnhardt climbed from his car, walked over to Cheever's and the two ended up in an embrace.

"Incredible," Jarrett called it.

"(Cheever's) an idiot," said Rudd
I was watching, at home, doing some chores around the house, when the wreck happened. I remember thinking, of all things, Dale wrecks, doing the very thing he hates (Blocking). I got in the car, and headed to my parent's house. About half-way there, the gut-wrenching news broke. Dale Earnhardt, is dead. I was so stunned, I had to pull over, and process what had just happened.
I have never fully recovered from it. I am not the NASCAR fan, I once was.

Last edited:
Reactions: N.ohio vol and MAD
Jerry Colquitt tearing up his knee against UCLA in our second series after waiting all those years to play.

The 1990 34-29 loss to Notre Dame where we staged a magnificent comeback, but came up a little short. Even though we lost it's still one of the greatest football games I've ever witnessed, the amount of talent on the field that day was just unbelievable ! It still to this day ranks near the very top of the list for loudest games I've ever been to at Neyland Stadium (and that was before the upper deck expansion), when we recovered the onside kick I thought the Stadium was going to collapse it was so loud. Then the great interception they made to end it was probably as gut wrenching play as I've ever witnessed, it was like all the TN fans collectively sighed and ate 10 Valiums apiece at once. Heartbreaking loss, but what a game !
How good could have that team been, with Jerry Colquitt at the helm. We also lost our top receiver, Billy Williams, in that game.
Think about it. That stable of running backs. Those WR's. That unbelievably stout offensive line, and pretty darn good defense. Could've been a Natty season, right there.

When Johnny Majors was fired.

I had moved out of state a few years before so I wasn’t getting much Tennessee news at the time (pre internet), I thought the University had lost their mind.

Greg "Wide Left" Burke. Ugh
I met Greg one day. My oldest mentioned the Auburn game(The 97 SECCG.), I wasn’t sure what was happening at 1st. John Fisher threw a cup and it bounced off Greg’s helmet as he was coming to the bench. I was living in Milan at the time. The home town of John and Greg’s wife. I was counting on as I got older I would forget more of the details of that game. No such luck.

2005 Vandy was unacceptable and was the start of this whole fiasco. There should have been a moving van at Fulmer's house that night. Instead Hamilton allows the program to run into the dirt and fires CPF three years later without a replacement.

December 28, 1975. Vikings have the best team in their history, and had the Cowboys beat. Several bad calls in that game for the Cowboys, but the absolute failure of Armen Terzian to call the blatant push off by Drew Pearson on the so-called ‘Hail Mary’ to catch the ball is one of the biggest blown calls in NFL history. I laugh in exasperation every time I see that play because Pearson even looks back expecting the flag.

After that, we were treated to the freakin’ Cowboys on CBS EVERY WEEKEND in the 70s, and that endlessly annoying hype of ‘America’s Team’. That ridiculous bob up and down when the linemen set. Endless stories about Landry’s hat. It never ended, it would seem.

The Vikings would have won it all that year, and Armen Terzian stole it. I never condone violence, but there was almost a karmic balance that he got hit in the head with a whisky bottle after he blew the call.

Jerry Colquitt tearing up his knee against UCLA in our second series after waiting all those years to play.

The 1990 34-29 loss to Notre Dame where we staged a magnificent comeback, but came up a little short. Even though we lost it's still one of the greatest football games I've ever witnessed, the amount of talent on the field that day was just unbelievable ! It still to this day ranks near the very top of the list for loudest games I've ever been to at Neyland Stadium (and that was before the upper deck expansion), when we recovered the onside kick I thought the Stadium was going to collapse it was so loud. Then the great interception they made to end it was probably as gut wrenching play as I've ever witnessed, it was like all the TN fans collectively sighed and ate 10 Valiums apiece at once. Heartbreaking loss, but what a game !

I got teared up when Colquitt went down. 😢

I have to think about it more, but one that jumps out at me was Pete Carol's bonehead call to throw the ball from 2 yards out to lose the SuperBowl.

VN Store

Back