What Other Message Boards Are Saying: Bowling Green Edition

I'd tend to put the "DeBoring" talk in the same bucket as "3rd and Chavis" and all the UGA fans that hated Mike Bobo. Chavis was one of the best DCs in the nation and many of our fans still tended to blame him for all our woes in the late Fulmer years, even though the defense was about the only thing that was working. Likewise, Mike Bobo gets blamed for UGA's struggles even though Bobo's teams were consistently some of the best in the nation on offense and UGA's defense (particularly under Grantham) was what held them back.

Sure, the jury is out on DeBord, but it's well known that he was running Carr's offense in Michigan. If the offense was boring, blame Lloyd Carr; not DeBord. Meanwhile, if you evaluate DeBord based on what he did have control of (player development, execution), he did a spectacular job. That doesn't automatically mean that he'll succeed here, but certainly, it shows that much of the criticism against him is misdirected.

Even with the "boring offense", DeBord put up pretty good numbers. Look at the 2006 season when Michigan went 10-2. That team was one game away from playing for a national title, but lost in a 42-39 shootout with Ohio State. Not exactly an indictment of DeBord that the one regular season game Michigan lost that year, they still scored 39 points against a very good defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The season is officially hear now that these threads have started. It sounds like BG realizes they are probably in for a trip to the wood shed. Our RBs should have a field day against thier defense. Hopefully we finally get to see our oline push somebody around.

Good work as always, Chatt.

The Debored/Deboring thing can be chalked up to people talk out of their butt generally and a lot of us are just too tired to correct you all the time.

I mean anyone could check out his offense and stats on the interwebs.

If you consider getting the ball to Breaston and Mannigham a total of 16 times on WR reverse/sweeps predictable(2006) I don't know what to tell you. Hart had over 1500 yards in 06. Three guys with 40 receptions and +500 yards.

Manningham ran the ball 19 times for 119 yards in 2007. Hart had 1300+ on the ground. Manningham and Arrington combined for over 2000 yards. Another guy caught 39 more balls. All this running from a conservative offense as most in the BIG 10 were/are unless you're Ohio St.

The know it alls used to b!+ch and moan about Cutt all the time despite averaging 30 pts per game.

Winning by two scores isn't enough for some fans.

I was a little wary of the DeBord hire at first, but after looking at his years where Butch was on his staff, my mind was put at ease.

So what, DeBord was a bad Head Coach at a bad CMU school. He hired Butch first as RB Coach, and then promoted Butch to OC after vast improvement was made. I researched it a while back. They spent four years together, and the offense got much better (it was probably Defense that got DeBord fired).

2000: Butch is RB coach. 2 QB's pass for 2000 yards, 10 TD, 7 INT. 3 RB's have significant carries, for 2.70ypc, 1030 yards, and 5 TD FOR THE YEAR. yeesh. Bad situation.

2001: Butch still RB Coach. QB play stagnates for whatever reason. Still played two, 2000 yards combined, 12 TD and 13 INT. RB play goes nuts, 4 RB's get significant carries, team combines for 2200 yards, 4.38ypc, and 17 TD's.

2002: Butch promoted to OC. Finally a QB stays healthy, but isn't any better than QB play in 2011. 2000 yards, 10 TD and 8 INT. RB play hits its peak, 2500 yards as a team, 4.49ypc, and 22 TD's for the year between 4 RB's getting significant carries.

2003: DeBord's last year. Presuming injuries at QB, because two played, combining for 2100 yards, 17 TD, and 10 INT. 3 RB's carry for 2400 yards, 4.38ypc, and 20 TD's.

DeBord was canned because of his defense. It's probably really difficult fighting for recruits in Michigan too, seeing as there's two big state schools, and two other directional schools fighting for the leftovers. Butch is an offensive-minded coach, and if I'm not mistaken, actually coached under RichRod at WVU (also as RB coach). Funny how in the "DeBoring" comments, his best offense came with RichRod as HC and not Lloyd Carr.

It was far from a splash-type hire, but I do think it'll be fruitful for at least as long as Dobbs stays.

Edit: messed up my years.

Reactions: 2 people
I love seeing this thread, means I'm fixing to get that football fix. Thanks OP.

I'd tend to put the "DeBoring" talk in the same bucket as "3rd and Chavis" and all the UGA fans that hated Mike Bobo. Chavis was one of the best DCs in the nation and many of our fans still tended to blame him for all our woes in the late Fulmer years, even though the defense was about the only thing that was working. Likewise, Mike Bobo gets blamed for UGA's struggles even though Bobo's teams were consistently some of the best in the nation on offense and UGA's defense (particularly under Grantham) was what held them back.

Sure, the jury is out on DeBord, but it's well known that he was running Carr's offense in Michigan. If the offense was boring, blame Lloyd Carr; not DeBord. Meanwhile, if you evaluate DeBord based on what he did have control of (player development, execution), he did a spectacular job. That doesn't automatically mean that he'll succeed here, but certainly, it shows that much of the criticism against him is misdirected.

Even with the "boring offense", DeBord put up pretty good numbers. Look at the 2006 season when Michigan went 10-2. That team was one game away from playing for a national title, but lost in a 42-39 shootout with Ohio State. Not exactly an indictment of DeBord that the one regular season game Michigan lost that year, they still scored 39 points against a very good defense.

It was pretty much the same thing with UGA fans when Butch brought Jancek with him from Cincy.

Reactions: 1 person
This is my first post on VN, but I've been lurking for several years. I always enjoy reading this thread each week. OP does a great job with it.

Reactions: 6 people
They have a thread over there discussing how much they like Rocky Top. Really unfortunate this game isn't in Neyland.

I enjoy these threads but there will come a day soon enough;

"these bammers are stupid, who gives a s**t what the bammers are saying"

CHATT TOWN! Been looking forward to this thread for what seems like decades. I think it should be declared that you have the right to title these as OFFICIAL:

I perused some of their boards and for the most part they seem like they know we are the better team. Pretty level headed down to Earth people that love football. Looking forward to kickoff.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back