What Other Fans Are Saying About The Call At the End

NCAA Football 2013 and 2014 Rules and Interpretations Rule 9, Section 3, Article 2-b (Page FR-96 or 98/216 on my reader) states:
The ball carrier shall not grasp a teammate; and no other player of his team shall grasp, pull, or lift him to assist him in forward progress.​
I believe this rule was originally instituted due to the, I think, Reggie Bush bragging admission to assisting his QB during a bowl game against Norte Dame. That was back some years ago, but yes, the rule exists.​

With a $4.5 million a year contract for 7 years, he will have a lot of Oregon in him for the next couple of seasons, no accountability, zero responsibility for his on the job learning baffoonery, a high school coach knows you need points in first possession overtime, if you get beat with the touchdown that is how overtime works, but to get beat by a field goal turning it over on downs, that is embarrassing, this is your first indication Heupel has a ceiling
I cant disagree. Huep's game management was awful in the last few minutes + OT. Ive never seen a coach opt to not take points like that in OT before, ever. Plus you allow yourself to go into OT with TWO timeouts in your pocket?? By not using them he wasted about 14 seconds there at the end that could've gotten us much closer to kick a more manageable game winning FG. The blown call at the goal line by the officials was awful but in truth that game shouldve never gotten to that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleVol
No, watched it from 236 in Nissan Stadium, felt bad for the guy, he overthought basic football philosophy several times today, ended up losing a meaningless bowl game in an embarrassing way, in front of the midstate recruits and a national TV audience, the only thing sadder was watching Burrell get two pass interference flags in a row only to get humiliated on a single coverage fall down TD romp by a freshman receiver Tennessee probably wouldn't recruit anyway, you can spin it all day, but Tennessee flopped as a 5 point favorite in front of a home crowd, Tennessee fans expected more with 20 extra days of practice, meaningless doesn't excuse the embarrassment in Nashville
I paid nothing and watched it. Sucker.

This, I have zero issue with the calls to go for it in OT
I agree with you once we got on the goal line. When youre that close you have to go for the TD. However when they had us at 4th down a few plays earlier, I think we were at our own 19 or something like that, you take the damn points and play for another OT. Purdue was one of the worst redzone offenses in the country. We shouldve went up 3 and played defense. It was horrible game management.

I agree with you once we got on the goal line. When youre that close you have to go for the TD. However when they had us at 4th down a few plays earlier, I think we were at our own 19 or something like that, you take the damn points and play for another OT. Purdue was one of the worst redzone offenses in the country. We shouldve went up 3 and played defense. It was horrible game management.
I don’t think he makes the call to go for it during the regular season, I think that’s a music city bowl game call and I liked that he made it. If he made in the regular season, I would agree with you.

Inconsequential? That stadium sounded loud on TV but I guess we just need to start opting out of these ridiculous Inconsequential bowl games moving forward.
We lost but won some PR last night for sure. Exciting game and #1 trending on Twitter an hour after the game...many NFL guys chiming in along w national press guys on the horrid call. We’ve had the spectrum of national reactions this year...dismay at our mustard throwing abilities and sympathy for getting a horrible game ending call.

You can say all this is meaningless but there probably wasn’t a potential UT recruit not watching that game...most of who saw and exciting game get robbed from us. We had the market cornered for about five hours yesterday.

I THINK most knowledgeable fans understand EXACTLY why we needed the TD in OT and NOT a field goal. Just a tough break and had we been able to connect on either of the TD throws at the end of regulation we’re not having this conversation(or maybe a PI call been made). BUT if we don’t like aggressive, uptempo fun style football we might want to pull for another team. Again, for some posters, I feel we need to implement the 24 hour rule with no posting after a loss until 24 hours have elapsed 😂.

We lost but won some PR last night for sure. Exciting game and #1 trending on Twitter an hour after the game...many NFL guys chiming in along w national press guys on the horrid call. We’ve had the spectrum of national reactions this year...dismay at our mustard throwing abilities and sympathy for getting a horrible game ending call.

You can say all this is meaningless but there probably wasn’t a potential UT recruit not watching that game...most of who saw and exciting game get robbed from us. We had the market cornered for about five hours yesterday.

I should have used blue font. I was glad for our bowl game. I think all these fools claiming ours (or any) bowl game is inconsequential need to stop posting on volnation talking about the bowl game.

I disagree with the call. It was horrible. With that said, we had plenty of opportunities to win the game before that. I think our coaching and execution was off tonight.
Yes we had plenty of opportunities earlier in the game, also squashed by the refs, whether marking the ball a yard short for what should have been a first down, calling PI well after the play on 3 rd down, calling for a reveiwed catch after their player takes a dive for the third time in a drive, upholding a TD when the ball was NEVER secure, false starts that the player is never identified, a false start on our center while most of the line are not in their stance and TV replay doesn’t show anything. And I can go on, this was systemic bias

Don’t forget the fourth down spot against Pitt.

We got the raw end of that one, too, but that was more "normal game questionable calls" rather than extraordinary bad calls. Both the Ole Miss "forward progress" and this one were among the worst calls I've ever seen in my life. No exaggeration. In 30+ years, I've never seen a call as bad as that one in the Ole Miss game.

Biggest gripe I have is on the possession, don't recall if it was the last or next to last in regulation, 3rd and 3, and then 4th and 3, and needing about 7 or 8 yards to get inside McGrath's range, throwing the bomb on both downs and missing. In my humble opinion, should have gone for the first down, used a timeout, set up a play to try to get in closer for a field goal to end it.

Biggest gripe I have is on the possession, don't recall if it was the last or next to last in regulation, 3rd and 3, and then 4th and 3, and needing about 7 or 8 yards to get inside McGrath's range, throwing the bomb on both downs and missing. In my humble opinion, should have gone for the first down, used a timeout, set up a play to try to get in closer for a field goal to end it.
Generally I agree. But the second bomb was a touchdown without the OBVIOUS defensive holding that made the pass "long".

Yeah I agree while ballsy lots of play calling towards the end was VERY questionable. Honestly we got lucky we even had a chance to almost win with some of those calls

The game is over and we can not change the crappy outcome but i have one question. When they introduced replay one of the key aspects is the refs were suppose to call it a certain way if they were not sure of the outcome and let replay review it.....what happened here?
They were obviously not sure what happened so they called it?

VN Store

Back