What makes y'all think that Harrison Bailey

I don’t think we can go there with Maurer since he’s a true freshman who shouldn’t have been forced to play in the first place. Most 18 year olds are going to look like he did.
I agree. He looked like the average freshman.

I swear you have accuracy and decision making confused with one another yet somehow intertwined them. BM is arguably the MOST accurate of them all, including HB. He’s proved it time and time again by hitting receivers in stride with no adjustments needed to create YAC. Decision making is where he falls short and JG excels (IF he’s on his game). I don’t give a damn what your stats say. YOU only include the ones that help your bias. You can preach all you wish about 2 tds and 5 ints but everyone knows rushing tds count for 6 as well. We all also know 1 of those ints was on JJ. We all know he’s thrown the ball away quite a few times and there have also been quite a few drops so you can shove that 47% up your a** as well. I can guarantee you in opposing defensive meetings they are being told they better stick to their man tighter with Maurer in the game because it’s a rarity that he misses. That’s accuracy.

Don't think so boss. If there is one thing that has kind of followed BM along through the year it's been accuracy issues. That is literally coming from practice reports throughout the year. Like legitimately it's a documented issue. There is literally no evidence when it comes to comparing and evaluating his accuracy as arguably the best.

1. Bc we have seen him in limited action and he hasn't proven that claim.
2. None of us have seen HB throw a collegiate pass yet to even compare those 2 yet.

I love the BM's fire though. He adds a factor in with running the ball too, however, he hasn't really done anything that jumps off the screen in that regard. Yes rushing td's count for 6 too, but ball security & turning the ball over have to be number 1 priority when leading the offense. Something BM has clearly struggled with in his limited playing time so far. Please don't mistake this as me saying JG is the greatest ever. There's a reason Pruitt made a statement saying JG was clearly number 1 qb on the team.. and personally i think JG has shown that. The only reason opposing defensive meetings are being told to stick to their man is bc JJ & Callaway are grown men. BM is mentioned only to the degree of something probably like stick with your man, bc this freshman qb is gonna throw a couple interceptable balls sooner or later.

Don't think so boss. If there is one thing that has kind of followed BM along through the year it's been accuracy issues. That is literally coming from practice reports throughout the year. Like legitimately it's a documented issue. There is literally no evidence when it comes to comparing and evaluating his accuracy as arguably the best.

2. None of us have seen HB throw a collegiate pass yet to even compare those 2 yet.

I love the BM's fire though. He adds a factor in with running the ball too, however, he hasn't really done anything that jumps off the screen in that regard. Yes rushing td's count for 6 too, but ball security & turning the ball over have to be number 1 priority when leading the offense. Something BM has clearly struggled with in his limited playing time so far. Please don't mistake this as me saying JG is the greatest ever. There's a reason Pruitt made a statement saying JG was clearly number 1 qb on the team.. and personally i think JG has shown that. The only reason opposing defensive meetings are being told to stick to their man is bc JJ & Callaway are grown men. BM is mentioned only to the degree of something probably like stick with your man, bc this freshman qb is gonna throw a couple interceptable balls sooner or later.
I can respect that stance and possibly even agree with about half of it. BM will throw you one or 2 through a game. But if I were the opposing DC I’m telling my dbs “he may throw you one or two but rest assured he’s going to burn you as well if you don’t stay on your man like stink on s***!”

As for the narrative coming from practice reports, if we added it all up, how much stock should we put into those reports when they’ve changed depending on the starting qb? During camp..... BM “erratic” “all over the place” “JG is clearly the best”
Post JG benching “BM looks great” “1000x more accurate that any other QB” “looking very good”
post BM injury. “JG looks the best today” “on point” ext ext. You see where I’m going with this? When the coach makes a decision you don’t question it. You don’t call him out via media. You don’t “talk” about how you may or may not feel if it doesn’t mix with that decision.

JTS will transfer. He is 3 out of 3 on the current roster and will never see the field again when Bailey get here and Hill is eligible. Personal opinion.

I hope he doesn't transfer personally. He's got one year in the system and he will continue to develop plus he's got the arm strength. If someone goes down, who knows he may be called on again.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
It's going to be a weird QB competition next year.

JG obviously has the leg-up right now, but there's a case for why all 5 scholarship QBs could win the job. I don't ever recall a situation similar to this.

JG. Most experienced. Strong arm. Typically doesn't make big mistakes (albeit he struggled in this department early in the season). Not going to take over a game by himself, but certainly capable of making big throws.

Maurer. Arguably the highest upside. Great scramber / improviser; has some Josh Dobbs like attributes. Most likely of the QBs to win a game that may otherwise be unwinnable. Biggest issue was turnovers and decision-making, but if he can get that under control, he may be the best QB on the roster.

Shrout. Arguably the highest upside for a pro-style passer. May have one of the strongest arms in college football. Still struggles with decision-making, but if Shrout improves his accuracy and limits his mistakes, he may also be the best QB on the roster.

Bailey. Blue-chip Freshman QB who put up very impressive numbers against good competition. Don't know how he'll adjust to the college game, but similar QBs out of Georgia have all fared very well (e.g. Fromm, Lawrence). Probably our most highly touted QB recruit since Peyton Manning.

Hill. Probably the least likely to win the job, but he does have a lot of experience as a starting QB. Biggest issue was accuracy and turnovers. Better scrambler than JG. I think he might've gotten a shot this year had he been eligible, but will be tougher for him to get playing time next year.

I still think JG wins the job, but we've seen over the past 2 years that he struggles with consistency. If Bailey comes in and looks as good as some think, he may take over. Also if Maurer comes back and cleans up his mistakes, he may take over. Then again, maybe things finally click for JG next year and we get more games like the SC, Miss State, and Mizzou games this year from him.
Excellent on all points, you know what you're talking about and looking at.

Don't forget HB is coming in as an early enrollee, big body, high football IQ, some people believe he is starter day 1. I wouldn't go that far but would not be surprised to see him with early PT in the season.

It doesn't matter how great he plays jg will start. Shouldn't be that way, but the way it is.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Lots of us have said the same exact thing, just in a slightly different tone. Good take here.

Wont redshirt? It's hard for me to believe that he would unseat JG preseason and if JG doesn't regress again, at all. Then you have Hill who has experience and Maurer who has enough experience and shown flashes. Is HB supposed to be that awesome right out of the gate?
Wouldn't it make sense for CJP to plan to redshirt him if he's behind JG but equal to the others and next year he only has Maurer to worry about? Maurer could transfer anyway.
Just want yalls thoughts who think HB will be at least the #2 guy. (And I'll understand if this gets moved to the similar QB thread going on)

These freshman QB's started this year first game
Bo Nix Auburn
Sam Howell UNC
Hank Bachmeier Boise State
Max Duggan TCU
Jayden Daniels Arizona State
There may have been more,
I think JG starts but could get yanked and then there's no transferring like Bryant because he will be in his 5th year and has no RS left. He was good to great vs Auburn UK last year then bottom fell out. This year was up and down then he came off bench and was good/great again then started 0 for 8 with Int. vs Vandy he finished decently but our running game did most of the work. I guess decent is not the right word, he was 6 of 17 with 1 int. and QBR of 42.4 not good numbers for a 4th year player.
He will be a 5th year senior next year it's either he is what he is or just maybe he has a consistent year from start to finish..

Reactions: VOLSONLY
This is exactly what is needed : competition. When JG had to come off the bench a few times and share playing time , he became better fast. We need more of it at every position
That's a pretty good reason and probably why our defensive line is playing good. The only starter from '18 was Gooden and his injury left the positions wide open. What I really like is Pruitt's way of going about it. Players seem to know he's being fair and giving everyone a chance. Those going in the portal except Means have been Butch's recruits thus far

Wont redshirt? It's hard for me to believe that he would unseat JG preseason and if JG doesn't regress again, at all. Then you have Hill who has experience and Maurer who has enough experience and shown flashes. Is HB supposed to be that awesome right out of the gate?
Wouldn't it make sense for CJP to plan to redshirt him if he's behind JG but equal to the others and next year he only has Maurer to worry about? Maurer could transfer anyway.
Just want yalls thoughts who think HB will be at least the #2 guy. (And I'll understand if this gets moved to the similar QB thread going on)
JG regresses every year. JG got beat out by two freshman this year who aren't as good as Bailey. Why would you think that JG is going to somehow cement himself as the starter for the entirety next year? This is a QB that throws for 400+ yards in a game and only had two touchdowns and literally can't get a team to more than 28 points against the worst D1 schools.

I never think two situations are the same in College Football, but with the hype Bailey is getting, there COULD be (emphasis on could) another Clemson situation with Bryant/Lawrence. I do think Lawrence is a unique QB and I don't think there is any reason to think Bailey is another Trevor Lawrence. But the hype suggests it possible.

Kelly Bryant won a lot of games for Clemson and then an injury forced Lawrence in and the rest is history. That could have been the case with JG and Maurer had Maurer not got beat up and exited consecutive games. I'm not saying that Maurer is better than JG either in that statement.

The good thing about our team is that if JG (If he doesn't transfer) goes down next year, Maurer will be a year wiser and bigger. We won't have to throw in a true freshman.

But who knows. I personally want Bailey to redshirt and play next year very minimal time. But who knows, Pruitt has shown that whoever practices the best will play.

No reason to think JG transfers but if he does, there will likely be an open battle because we will want whoever starts the OU game to get tons of reps in the season opener.
JG is not Bryant by any means.

Also the 38 points and 213 rushing yards given up by the defense, the meager 93 yards rushing generated by our offense, and a fumble by Ty Chandler ... but yeah ... it was all on JG.

Still crazy to me people are trying to 100% blame Ga State on JG. The BYU loss makes sense, because JG played one of the worst games of his career and missed several wide open receivers on big plays that would've likely resulted in scores. JG didn't play great against Ga State, but he was far from the biggest problem in that game.
Yeah I don't get the blame for the GSU loss.
But also the BYU loss... the defenders don't go Looney tunes on the 4th down play and UT wins. Ultimately a team loss.

It's possible we have a better Fromm situation on our hands

It's going to be a weird QB competition next year.

JG obviously has the leg-up right now, but there's a case for why all 5 scholarship QBs could win the job. I don't ever recall a situation similar to this.

JG. Most experienced. Strong arm. Typically doesn't make big mistakes (albeit he struggled in this department early in the season). Not going to take over a game by himself, but certainly capable of making big throws.

Maurer. Arguably the highest upside. Great scramber / improviser; has some Josh Dobbs like attributes. Most likely of the QBs to win a game that may otherwise be unwinnable. Biggest issue was turnovers and decision-making, but if he can get that under control, he may be the best QB on the roster.

Shrout. Arguably the highest upside for a pro-style passer. May have one of the strongest arms in college football. Still struggles with decision-making, but if Shrout improves his accuracy and limits his mistakes, he may also be the best QB on the roster.

Bailey. Blue-chip Freshman QB who put up very impressive numbers against good competition. Don't know how he'll adjust to the college game, but similar QBs out of Georgia have all fared very well (e.g. Fromm, Lawrence). Probably our most highly touted QB recruit since Peyton Manning.

Hill. Probably the least likely to win the job, but he does have a lot of experience as a starting QB. Biggest issue was accuracy and turnovers. Better scrambler than JG. I think he might've gotten a shot this year had he been eligible, but will be tougher for him to get playing time next year.

I still think JG wins the job, but we've seen over the past 2 years that he struggles with consistency. If Bailey comes in and looks as good as some think, he may take over. Also if Maurer comes back and cleans up his mistakes, he may take over. Then again, maybe things finally click for JG next year and we get more games like the SC, Miss State, and Mizzou games this year from him.
Mauer??? What has he done to = highest upside???? He seems like a great kid and teammate but highest upside is a bit of an exaggeration. He is not SEC talent. 180 pounds will not get it. He will be a very good QB at a non-power 5 school.

VN Store

Back