028c5a9f19020f7cfa30a8e57fd58bb0.jpg

dc930f0f3c09737937ce1b7386d741e6.jpg

2050036627_0311d8edde.jpg

jael-miller-tennessee-bikini-4.jpg
Works for me

GTFO

Black and Gold

Ugly lame and unoriginal.

Blue and gray, uninspiring, lame and unoriginal.

Tennessee orange and white.

Bold, easy on the eyeballs and completely original. The most original color scheme in all of sports. How can any vol fan not like it. It is beyond me. Must have bland character.
Plus It's a cool and unique tone when you see it in nature, plus everyone loves that tone of orange when designing/painting mechs.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
I've been here through four actual and a couple pretend coaching searches and have read quite a bit about the things that make UT and attractive place to coach and play and the things that turn off coaches and recruits. It's been a while, and I'm wondering what the consensus is on these issues.

My thoughts and understandings:
Positives
- Competes in the SEC
- Some of the top facilities in the country, with regular improvements being made
- The Grand Cathedral of College Football, Neyland Stadium
- Near several recruiting hot spots, and in state quality is improving
- Quality land grant institution
- Quality local schools (for coach's children)
- Local access to air travel

Negatives
- Seemingly constant University/AD turmoil
- Limited shopping
- Limited nightlife
- Distance to the beach, large city amenities and activities

What's on your list, and what can actually be fixed to make it a more attractive place overall?

Outside of the Buckeyes, texas, Miami, Vandy and USC and UCLA almost every school is in a college town. Knoxville is actually larger than many colleges cities.

In my opinion the biggest problem with the university is piss poor leadership, most of the people currently running the university are not there because of their incredible qualifications, skills and talents, the are there to facilitate someone else's agenda,

In my opinion, Blonde Donde is there because we thought we had to have a female Chancellor since the last one flamed out, Bev Davenport seemed inept in public speaking, not able to articulate what her athletic director, John Currie, was supposed to do, who cares if we hire a qualified Chancellor, we have to have a female chancellor

In my opinion, Fulmer is there to lap up money he thinks he is owed because of the 1998 perfect season and the national championship, but they ran him off campus after mailing it in during 2005 and 2008 with a losing season, losing conference records, only Cutcliff's handle in 2006 and 2007 saved his bacon for the 2008 collapse, Fulmer has no AD experience, no special business background, no skillset in administration that make him an effective AD,

In my opinion Randy Boyd is a successful Knoxville businessman, no advanced degrees, ran a goofy campaign for governor in 2018, got blasted in the primary by a first time candidate from Nashville, Haslams put him there when Bill Haslam decided he didn't want the job, not sure running a baseball organization and a pet supply business provides the skill set to run a university, but he's there when he's not out hawking for a new baseball stadium for his Sevierville team in a worn out part of downtown Knoxville,

Blonde Donde and Fulmer should be summarily fired, Boyd might be better suited to be the athletic director, but his sports holdings may be a conflict of interest for running a local college athletic department. But you will not see any talented or quickly recognized head coaching superstars coming to work for this crowd.

Does anybody actually think Andy Holt, Jack Reese, Ed Boling, or Bob Woodruff
had a guaranteed employment contract? Does anybody think the current cast of characters could hold a candle to Reese and Boling?

I knew Dr Boling and Reese, incredible Tennessee men. Minus Joe Johnson, we have had empty suits since that day. And University of tennessee has gone to the crapper in every way since!

Outside of the Buckeyes, texas, Miami, Vandy and USC and UCLA almost every school is in a college town. Knoxville is actually larger than many colleges cities.
Knox sucks to shop for the coach's wife and for education...... I guess Webb is still in Knox? Athens and Tusc suck too but ATL and Bham are close and good and reasonable, respectively.

Most SEC towns are weak to raise a family. I spent too much time, years ago, at Oxford while the ex was doing a residency/practice...... good food, these days I hear, but really not somewhere I'd live by choice.

The SEC appeals, sadly, to cornbread types. I've good friends who teach in both Columbus OH and Austin TX. Austin is light years more diverse and accepting than anything in the SEC. Columbus (suburbs) is a far better place to raise a family.

Reactions: NEO
The thought of being “that guy” who actually turned Tennessee back around.

Whoever it is......will be legendary status (the coach that “actually” turns the program around and keeps it going).

Not to mention the $

Tennessee coaches get paid “bank” weather they coaching at Tennessee or not.

Reactions: onevol74
Stay in Cali, the immoral and anti American Capital of The United States of America.
This is why you can't recruit to Knox. Well, partially. Folks like this control Knoxville and Knoxville's development. I think they're still building strip malls and "toothpick townhouses" in Knoxville to this day. "Successful" folks like this are our big boosters..... a fuel station tycoon.

I've a friend in the Bay Area who makes me feel ancient when telling me of his son's successes with "self driving electric long haul trucks." I hope Jimmy invests in charging stations.

TN, the people AND the University, root themselves in the past. Fulmer's past..... maintains his job with his boosters.

I'll suggest that Mario Cristobal ABUSED Auburn for a bigger contract at Oregon knowing that Nike is more forward looking AND that weed is essentially legal in Oregon (never in the SEC for several years) AND no longer tested for in the NFL.

Mario is recruiting 5 years beyond the SEC....

Knox sucks to shop for the coach's wife and for education...... I guess Webb is still in Knox? Athens and Tusc suck too but ATL and Bham are close and good and reasonable, respectively.

Most SEC towns are weak to raise a family. I spent too much time, years ago, at Oxford while the ex was doing a residency/practice...... good food, these days I hear, but really not somewhere I'd live by choice.

The SEC appeals, sadly, to cornbread types. I've good friends who teach in both Columbus OH and Austin TX. Austin is light years more diverse and accepting than anything in the SEC. Columbus (suburbs) is a far better place to raise a family.

I am thankful Knoxville is not like Austin. Many of us in Texas have a strong dislike of that city. I was born in Chattanooga and have no problem with smaller towns in the Southeast. Referring to the entire region as cornbread types is your opinion, but I happen to find smaller cities/towns charming and welcoming. Where people choose to raise a family and how well they like that location is highly subjective. Just because a city has more shopping and restaurants does not necessarily make it a better location to raise a family. There are dozens of cities in the US that have multitudes of shopping and eating options (NY, SF, LA, Chicago, Miami, Minneapolis, Austin, etc, etc), but I would never raise a family there.

I am thankful Knoxville is not like Austin. Many of us in Texas have a strong dislike of that city. I was born in Chattanooga and have no problem with smaller towns in the Southeast. Referring to the entire region as cornbread types is your opinion, but I happen to find smaller cities/towns charming and welcoming. Where people choose to raise a family and how well they like that location is highly subjective. Just because a city has more shopping and restaurants does not necessarily make it a better location to raise a family. There are dozens of cities in the US that have multitudes of shopping and eating options (NY, SF, LA, Chicago, Miami, Minneapolis, Austin, etc, etc), but I would never raise a family there.
Aye...... and I'm betting you've never had a coaching opportunity.

Diversity...... is coaching. While you may love a "ain't we all alike" town. Look at your favorite football team and see if it matches your neighborhood or your church.

If it doesn't..... look in your mirror.

Reactions: Defaultuser
I've been here through four actual and a couple pretend coaching searches and have read quite a bit about the things that make UT and attractive place to coach and play and the things that turn off coaches and recruits. It's been a while, and I'm wondering what the consensus is on these issues.

My thoughts and understandings:
Positives
- Competes in the SEC
- Some of the top facilities in the country, with regular improvements being made
- The Grand Cathedral of College Football, Neyland Stadium
- Near several recruiting hot spots, and in state quality is improving
- Quality land grant institution
- Quality local schools (for coach's children)
- Local access to air travel

Negatives
- Seemingly constant University/AD turmoil
- Limited shopping
- Limited nightlife
- Distance to the beach, large city amenities and activities

What's on your list, and what can actually be fixed to make it a more attractive place overall?
Makes it special? The tradition, campus, stadium, past players, and fans.

What makes it less attractive? Fans, and history of meddling by boosters, and now AD.

Edit: SEC is major as a well. All games televised as long as your regional.

I can assure you TX recruits to Austin, not to the rest of TX for their football recruits

You can rest on that success but outside of Austin and College Station, almost no one who doesn't have a pro football or basketball contract at Dallas or Houston....... actually owns anything but a condo AND can't wait to leave.

It's a hell hole if you're not a "good ol boy" or willing to grow your beard and keep your mouth shut...... until you can't anymore. (Not that that kinda situation wouldn't be OBVIOUS currently....)

This is why you can't recruit to Knox. Well, partially. Folks like this control Knoxville and Knoxville's development. I think they're still building strip malls and "toothpick townhouses" in Knoxville to this day. "Successful" folks like this are our big boosters..... a fuel station tycoon.

I've a friend in the Bay Area who makes me feel ancient when telling me of his son's successes with "self driving electric long haul trucks." I hope Jimmy invests in charging stations.

TN, the people AND the University, root themselves in the past. Fulmer's past..... maintains his job with his boosters.

I'll suggest that Mario Cristobal ABUSED Auburn for a bigger contract at Oregon knowing that Nike is more forward looking AND that weed is essentially legal in Oregon (never in the SEC for several years) AND no longer tested for in the NFL.

Mario is recruiting 5 years beyond the SEC....

Aye...... and I'm betting you've never had a coaching opportunity.

Diversity...... is coaching. While you may love a "ain't we all alike" town. Look at your favorite football team and see if it matches your neighborhood or your church.

If it doesn't..... look in your mirror.
I don’t coach, but would have no problem accepting a multi-million dollar job at an SEC school. I live in Fort Worth, which is a fairly diverse city. I don’t understand what your problem is with the school or the conference, but perhaps it is time for you to change your allegiance. Coming into the chat room and bashing the people in the towns of every SEC school, putting down the cities, schools, coaches, and fans should be an indicator that it is time for you to move on. At least it is time for me to ignore you!

I don’t coach, but would have no problem accepting a multi-million dollar job at an SEC school. I live in Fort Worth, which is a fairly diverse city. I don’t understand what your problem is with the school or the conference, but perhaps it is time for you to change your allegiance. Coming into the chat room and bashing the people in the towns of every SEC school, putting down the cities, schools, coaches, and fans should be an indicator that it is time for you to move on. At least it is time for me to ignore you!
Perhaps you should look at the recruits. Perhaps you should look at where THEY come from.....

Or not. Your call.

I can assure you TX recruits to Austin, not to the rest of TX for their football recruits

You can rest on that success but outside of Austin and College Station, almost no one who doesn't have a pro football or basketball contract at Dallas or Houston....... actually owns anything but a condo AND can't wait to leave.

It's a hell hole if you're not a "good ol boy" or willing to grow your beard and keep your mouth shut...... until you can't anymore. (Not that that kinda situation wouldn't be OBVIOUS currently....)
You know absolutely nothing about Texas. If you had ever stepped foot in this state, you would see that your statements are complete BS. There are 650,000 families in Texas worth more than a million dollars. Last time I checked, they don’t all play pro sports. People in this state love it here, but certainly don’t want people like you living here. Must be awful to fantasize about living in San Francisco as your dream. I lived in the Bay Area in the ‘90s and am thankful to be in Texas.

You know absolutely nothing about Texas. If you had ever stepped foot in this state, you would see that your statements are complete BS. There are 650,000 families in Texas worth more than a million dollars. Last time I checked, they don’t all play pro sports. People in this state love it here, but certainly don’t want people like you living here. Must be awful to fantasize about living in San Francisco as your dream. I lived in the Bay Area in the ‘90s and am thankful to be in Texas.
And where do the recruits come from?

It's a fair question. Do they come from areas that look like your neighborhood?

I'll READILY confess I live in a place TN recruits won't live until they've reached the next level but I KNOW that, acknowledge that....... AND I'd like their college years to be full of diversity in their college town, not some "wholesome experience." Perhaps you never went to college but it's about exploring....... not a Bible bubble environment.

I've now lived in East TN, coastal Mississippi, rural Michigan, and suburban Cleveland OH.

I will never live in Mississippi again. Nope. Definitely not while I have kids in school. Too damn racist and too damn hot.

It would be hard going back to East TN despite the family and friends who are there. My kids are now used to and want a level of diversity that just isn't available outside of small pockets of Knoxville, and the public school offerings they've used to aren't available in the public schools back home (we checked). There's only two main ways through town, and you're screwed if there's a wreck on one of them. And it's in the most restrictive medical insurance region in the country, which makes care harder and more expensive to get if you need special treatment.

And that sucks, because UT is my dream job.

Making bank as an athletic coach would definitely take the sting out of some of those issues, but not all. But quality of life outside of the job does play a part in decisions especially if there's family involved.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Chicago (Northwestern), Raleigh-Durham (North Carolina, NC State and Duke), Boston (Boston College), Pittsburgh (Pitt), Wiinston-Salem (Wake Forest), Atlanta (Ga Tech), Louisville (Louisville), Tallahassee (FSU), Syracuse (Syracuse), Norman (Oklahoma), Fort Worth (TCU), Lubbock (Texas Tech), Waco (Baylor), Madison (Wisconsin), Lincoln (Nebraska), Provo (BYU), Seattle (Washington), San Francisco (Stanford and Cal), Eugene (Oregon), Salt Lake City (Utah), Tucson (Arizona), and Phoenix (Arizona State).

All these cities have six-digit-plus populations, and most of them are larger than Knoxville.

That's about half the Power 5.

Knoxville may be one of the bigger home settings in the SEC, but it's only about average if you look across the Power 5 conferences. Right about in the middle.

Perhaps you should look at the recruits. Perhaps you should look at where THEY come from.....

Or not. Your call.

i don’t know what the heck you are talking about.

recruits come from places like Atlanta, Ga, and Wrightsville, Ga. They come from every background you can imagine and have different wants and needs out of the college they attend.

most of the time location is a factor for a kid based on weather or how far away it is from mama, not the size or “diversity” of the city.

Hell of a lot more nightlife in Knoxville than almost every other SEC city.

Which for the life of me, I don't get why would any active 18 year old boy want to go to a boring OSU or Oklahoma? Talk about dullsville. There are plenty of good football schools in much better locations. ;)

VN Store

Back