What is the ONE thing Pruitt cannot do next year

Tennessee doesnt lose to those 4 programs. EVER. We should be beating UF every 2 out of 3. Minimal.
I mean, I don't have a problem saying I think they will beat those 4 this year and even cap it off with a close win over UF, but a "GIVEN" would insinuate that it has been a regular occurrence which it has not. This year could be the start of that though. Can't see them losing more than 1 out of the 5 at best.

I realize he had to scramble to put his 18 recruiting class together, but those were the cards he was dealt and he chose to play them.

He's had two classes now.

When referring to roster talent he can carefully take the glass is half full perspective but he can't take the glass is half empty approach like he did at times last year.

No more "we need 25 more players that will play the right way....." type comments.

Compliment what we have that merits it, honestly assess what we need, but don't disparage our upper classmen.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Tennessee doesnt lose to those 4 programs. EVER. We should be beating UF every 2 out of 3. Minimal.
Tenn not only DOES lose to those programs, they often do so in spectacular fashion (i.e. blowouts). The "good old days" are over, and they aren't coming back. The reason those days are over is tied to a shift in the dynamics of CFB which began with the huge television contracts a little over 15 years ago. It led to conference expansions/realignments and more importantly, it led to huge conference payouts to EVERY member of the conference. Now EVERY member school has a large revenue stream, not just a few of the previous "elite". Facility advantages vaporizes in this new era. In todays world of CFB, Tenn beating other programs annually is NOT a "given" anymore. Everyone on here wants to believe this historically long bad streak is the product of bad coaching, and that has played a part, but the changing landscape of the game elevated other programs which snowballed the effects at Tenn and took away a lot of the advantages they once had. The good old days are gone, and they aren't coming back.

The only "Givens" going forward are that Tenn cannot take any team for granted anymore and losing streaks to the likes of Vandy and Mizzou will occasionally occur. Someone will pipe in and argue that there still exists advantages in school 'BRANDS", and that is true. Bama, Clemson, Texas, UF, UGA, ND, OSU, Mich, OK, LSU and a few other teams have a marked NATIONAL BRAND that appeals to young recruits. Don't fool yourself and think UT's brand is in the same league with those schools, because it is not. Aside from brands, the only other aspect which can help elevate programs above others is the natural recruiting footprint for each team. Some schools have natural advantages here and when combined with a successful national brand it magnifies the advantage. Tenn does not have any natural recruiting footprint advantages over most of its conference peers. So, in conclusion: Revenue parity erases many facility advantages over time, UT does not have a 'Brand" advantage and it does not enjoy a natural recruiting footprint advantage over most of its competition. Welcome to the new world order where the old "givens" ain't givens anymore.

Last edited:
What do you think is the ONE thing Pruitt cannot do next year without the fanbase losing faith?

For me, the only thing worse to losing to Vandy, is losing to a rebuilding Vandy at home. If he loses the Vandy game next year.... it'll be ugly for him I believe .
We've lost three out of the last four to them. It's like breathing now.

Reactions: Rooster1
Tenn not only DOES lose to those programs, they often do so in spectacular fashion (i.e. blowouts). The "good old days" are over, and they aren't coming back. The reason those days are over is tied to a shift in the dynamics of CFB which began with the huge television contracts a little over 15 years ago. It led to conference expansions/realignments and more importantly, it led to huge conference payouts to EVERY member of the conference. Now EVERY member school has a large revenue stream, not just a few of the previous "elite". Facility advantages vaporizes in this new era. In todays world of CFB, Tenn beating other programs annually is NOT a "given" anymore. Everyone on here wants to believe this historically long bad streak is the product of bad coaching, and that has played a part, but the changing landscape of the game elevated other programs which snowballed the effects at Tenn and took away a lot of the advantages they once had. The good old days are gone, and they aren't coming back.

The only "Givens" going forward are that Tenn cannot take any team for granted anymore and losing streaks to the likes of Vandy and Mizzou will occasionally occur. Someone will pipe in and argue that there still exists advantages in school 'BRANDS", and that is true. Bama, Clemson, Texas, UF, UGA, ND, OSU, Mich, OK, LSU and a few other teams have a marked NATIONAL BRAND that appeals to young recruits. Don't fool yourself and think UT's brand is in the same league with those schools, because it is not. Aside from brands, the only other aspect which can help elevate programs above others is the natural recruiting footprint for each team. Some schools have natural advantages here and when combined with a successful national brand it snowballs. Tenn does not have any natural recruiting footprint advantages over most of its conference peers. So, in conclusion: Revenue parity erases many facility advantages over time, UT does not have a 'Brand" advantage and it does not enjoy a natural recruiting footprint advantage over most of its competition. Welcome to the new world order where the old "givens" ain't givens anymore.
You belong in the nuthouse son. Haha you've got a lot to learn about the program you apparently cheer for. Dont you ever put Clemson in the same category as Tennessee.

What do you think is the ONE thing Pruitt cannot do next year without the fanbase losing faith?

For me, the only thing worse to losing to Vandy, is losing to a rebuilding Vandy at home. If he loses the Vandy game next year.... it'll be ugly for him I believe .

If Pruitt can’t win the state of Tennessee his future as a head football coach will be very short and should be!

You belong in the nuthouse son. Haha you've got a lot to learn about the program you apparently cheer for. Dont you ever put Clemson in the same category as Tennessee.

And how can you say Georgia has a stronger brand than us? They have only peaked in the past few years. I think our program has more of a history and better recognition than theirs.

And how can you say Georgia has a stronger brand than us? They have only peaked in the past few years. I think our program has more of a history and better recognition than theirs.
I never said Georgia has a stronger brand than us. The only team in the SEC that does is Alabama.

Reactions: MikeVol44

The only "Givens" going forward are that Tenn cannot take any team for granted anymore and losing streaks to the likes of Vandy and Mizzou will occasionally occur. Someone will pipe in and argue that there still exists advantages in school 'BRANDS", and that is true. Bama, Clemson, Texas, UF, UGA, ND, OSU, Mich, OK, LSU and a few other teams have a marked NATIONAL BRAND that appeals to young recruits. Don't fool yourself and think UT's brand is in the same league with those schools, because it is not. Aside from brands, the only other aspect which can help elevate programs above others is the natural recruiting footprint for each team. Some schools have natural advantages here and when combined with a successful national brand it magnifies the advantage. Tenn does not have any natural recruiting footprint advantages over most of its conference peers. So, in conclusion: Revenue parity erases many facility advantages over time, UT does not have a 'Brand" advantage and it does not enjoy a natural recruiting footprint advantage over most of its competition. Welcome to the new world order where the old "givens" ain't givens anymore.
Butch recruited 2 top 5 classes just a few years ago. That tells me everything i need to know about the Tennessee brand! Go Vols

I never said Georgia has a stronger brand than us. The only team in the SEC that does is Alabama.

No. I was confirming what you said in your response to rooster. He listed UGA as a school with a top ‘brand’. I was agreeing with your statement ‘you belong in the nuthouse’.

Another thing that cannot happen starting this year is I'm sick and tired of being in dogfights with lesser opponents! Put these damn teams away early and get our backups some playing time! If we are headed into the 4th quarter tied 17-17 with BYU i'm going to be pissed!

Reactions: N.ohio vol

Get on your roost. You've had too much corn tonight.

If Tennessee is cheating then we should try harder
That would be the worst ROI in history. As in UNC football level of cheating with zero to show for it. If you’re gonna cheat you better go big and win with a Cam Newton type and then drop about $30 million to lawyer up and make it all fade away.

That’s not me advocating cheating at all.

Reactions: Titan05

giphy.gif

Reactions: tbh
Most rival fans are honest about who their team is, how you guys mistake a SC fan named "Rooster" is beyond me. He's never pretended to be a TN fan.

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back