What if Rick Barnes stays? (Let's go another direction)

In case it hasn't been posted, Hyams tweeted 34 minutes ago that he expects an announcement within the hour. It's 12:47. He tweeted at 12:10
Someone's going to get alot of positive press tonight at championship game...and someone's not. Just hope it's UT w/ the good news. If all this comes down to money for him or assistants, VN will go off like nothing since, well...Schiano. For that matter, if it's about cash, (and yes, it's a reach)...but we like to blame former failed football coaches for everything...so, you could draw a parallel to UT being in bad spot financially because of CBJ and Dooley buy-outs. Football needs to be healthy to help us do everything else. That being said, Fulmer knows continuity of excellent coaches is the best way to go, so I'd expect we do what's needed from a financial perspective.

Could've said the same for Bone last year and he was critical in our success this year. I don't completely disagree with you, but it's too early to tell. We have plenty of talent, I'll tell you that much.
As good as Bone was this year and as important to our success as he was, the team wasn't built around him either. It was built around Williams and to a lesser extent Schofield.

Bone is the type of player you need to get from great to elite; however, you aren't a great team to begin with if you don't have guys like Williams.

I read schwartz is being promoted so the going cheap argument doesn't apply just yet.
The "going cheap" argument doesn't really apply, at all, in many discussions involving UT. That's a false narrative some of our fans put out there, at least with the football program. There are many critical things you can say about our administration but being cheapskates isn't one of them.

Reactions: CAVPUT
I dont know at this point it feels like a rejected marriage proposal, there's no coming back from that. It's out there, he has no agent so he himself is handling things with UCLA. I dont think this can be mended
Man you got thin skin. BVS has its claws in you pretty deep.

Reactions: livefaith
If Fulmer throws the bank at Barnes, I hope we'd expect more than a flameout in the NCAAT every year.

I've read that ucla has designs on Tony Bennett (the VA coach, not the singer) as well.
So, I wonder if they're holding out for the final game tonight to decide whether to throw their money at Bennett or at Barnes.

Last edited:
If Fulmer throws the bank at Barnes, I hope we'd expect more than a flameout in the NCAAT every year.
What's funny is that a potential outcome of our current predicament is that Fulmer throws the bank at Barnes, Barnes agrees to a massive, long-term extension, then after a couple more tourney flameouts there's a chorus of people highly critical of the contract and wants him fired.

This wasn't a well-received talking point during the season when I made it, but Barnes is not a great tournament coach. He just isn't. People didn't want to hear it in Jan/Feb but I think get it more now. Deep tournament runs are the exception with him, not the rule. He was at Texas 17 years and made it beyond the Sweet 16 just three times. Just the one Final Four, and he had some uber-talented teams.

ok now my prediction after every one e has theirs. I predict coach barnes stays at ut for years to come grant and bone don't grade out high enough to go pro and return.ut wins the sec and sect and make final four in the big tournament.

If, as it is reported that Barnes would take the UCLA job if offered, and if the powers that be at UCLA decide to opt for a younger coach, I gotta admit, its gonna change my feelings for Barnes even if he stays. I'll know that his only loyalty is his paycheck, and my only loyalty to him is whatever he's done lately.

What's funny is that a potential outcome of our current predicament is that Fulmer throws the bank at Barnes, Barnes agrees to a massive, long-term extension, then after a couple more tourney flameouts there's a chorus of people highly critical of the contract and wants him fired.

This wasn't a well-received talking point during the season when I made it, but Barnes is not a great tournament coach. He just isn't. People didn't want to hear it in Jan/Feb but I think get it more now. Deep tournament runs are the exception with him, not the rule. He was at Texas 17 years and made it beyond the Sweet 16 just three times. Just the one Final Four, and he had some uber-talented teams.

I couldn't agree with you more! That is EXACTLY what will happen! How do I know??? Because, UT.

If, as it is reported that Barnes would take the UCLA job if offered, and if the powers that be at UCLA decide to opt for a younger coach, I gotta admit, its gonna change my feelings for Barnes even if he stays. I'll know that his only loyalty is his paycheck, and my only loyalty to him is whatever he's done lately.

Sums it up rather nicely...LOL

What? Some of y'all have acute BVS. When you program builds into a legit top 10 team, then everyone from 11-276 has either a small or large amount of envy concerning what you have.

When you succeed, people start coming after your coaches. THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO HAPPEN. Remember when other programs we're trying so hard to woo Buzz Peterson, Jerry Greene, and Wade Houston? Think @ it.

We don't really know crap @ this situation. Reporters and coaching searches should be really familiar around here. But, if CRB wants to listen to a blue blood tell him how many $$$ they'll throw at him, then he has every right. More power to him.

Always helps in his contract renegotiation with CPF if he has a little leverage.

Reactions: livefaith

2 Questions.

#1 If a historically better company came along than the one you currently work for. They were possibly going to offer you a 50% salary/benefits increase.

Would you at least take the phone call and listen to the pitch, even though you are loyal to your current company? Or would you act like you are in a marriage rather than an employment contract?#

#2 Would you expect an employer, who truly gave 2¢ about you, to be so angry that they could never get over your insolence and disloyalty for taking the call and saying No, that they never forgave you?

Serious Qs.

Someone's going to get alot of positive press tonight at championship game...and someone's not. Just hope it's UT w/ the good news. If all this comes down to money for him or assistants, VN will go off like nothing since, well...Schiano. For that matter, if it's about cash, (and yes, it's a reach)...but we like to blame former failed football coaches for everything...so, you could draw a parallel to UT being in bad spot financially because of CBJ and Dooley buy-outs. Football needs to be healthy to help us do everything else. That being said, Fulmer knows continuity of excellent coaches is the best way to go, so I'd expect we do what's needed from a financial perspective.

Yes this is interesting timing, day of the championship game.

While I don't think Rick Barnes spurning us for UCLA would make as many waves, I do think if he stays it's a statement. Turning down a UCLA job to stay at UT would be huge. It would provide stability in the program, keep Josiah James on board and probably even attract more recruits.

We may not be a top 10 team all season next year, but we still bring back Turner, Bowden, Johnson, Fulkerson and Pons. Johnson, Fulkerson and Pons showed some promise in their limited roles this year. We also add a 5 star recruit and we've not seen DJ Burns or a legitimate showing from Derrick Walker. That's a top 30 team with Rick Barnes coaching them. I wouldn't bet on it, but there's a possibility Bone returns.

I like the team above - you have to like our guards and the possibility of a significant increase in 3pt %.

I think the program's benefit would be compounded if Rick stays! I would say 10 fold, easy.
Then we have a shot at Grant/Barnes returning and we can look forward to making the tourney next year.

Anyone shocked at Fulmer being fully invested in the football program is prolly insane.

I'm more shocked that at age 64, Barnes needs to feel attention and love.

Why? We’re not a football school anymore. Right now we’re a nothing school.

We’ve become an absolute joke in football. Teams write us off as an easy victory now. We haven’t been competitive in 10 years. That’s a long time.

Let’s focus on basketball and take what we can get. Football is too competitive and we’ve fallen so far behind, we probably will not be competitive in football for the next 20 years.

Why? We’re not a football school anymore. Right now we’re a nothing school.

We’ve become an absolute joke in football. Teams write us off as an easy victory now. We haven’t been competitive in 10 years. That’s a long time.

Let’s focus on basketball and take what we can get. Football is too competitive and we’ve fallen so far behind, we probably will not be competitive in football for the next 20 years.

Which is why Fulmer is fully invested in getting the football program back.

2 Questions.

#1 If a historically better company came along than the one you currently work for. They were possibly going to offer you a 50% salary/benefits increase.

Would you at least take the phone call and listen to the pitch, even though you are loyal to your current company? Or would you act like you are in a marriage rather than an employment contract?#

#2 Would you expect an employer, who truly gave 2¢ about you, to be so angry that they could never get over your insolence and disloyalty for taking the call and saying No, that they never forgave you?

Serious Qs.
They offered him $5 million a year. On paper you'd think that was a huge jump. But if you factor in CA state taxes and cost of living, he would be taking a pay CUT. That's just simple math. This is NOT about money

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
They offered him $5 million a year. On paper you'd think that was a huge jump. But if you factor in CA state taxes and cost of living, he would be taking a pay CUT. That's just simple math. This is NOT about money

He's considering that offer. That means this isn't about money.

Pretty clear its about his career and/or staff money.

No brainer what he should do and that's go to UCLA if he is truly thinking about his career.

He's considering that offer. That means this isn't about money.

Pretty clear its about his career and/or staff money.

No brainer what he should do and that's go to UCLA if he is truly thinking about his career.
We differ there. UCLA has lost virtually all cache' in the NCAA world. This is a new era in college basketball and kids today don't care about Wooden, Alcindor, or anyone else from that school. It's just not the same. He has a chance here to really imprint his legacy. He goes there and fails, he's forgotten.

We differ there. UCLA has lost virtually all cache' in the NCAA world. This is a new era in college basketball and kids today don't care about Wooden, Alcindor, or anyone else from that school. It's just not the same. He has a chance here to really imprint his legacy. He goes there and fails, he's forgotten.

He's forgotten at Tennessee based on the last two seasons. That was his biggest window to make serious runs in the tourney and has a 3-2 record to show for it with a share of a regular season title.

At UCLA, he can finish his career with nothing but 4 and 5 star kids, tons of money, and fixing one of the greatest college basketball programs in the country.

Just because people don't consider UCLA one of the big programs now doesn't mean kids don't want to go there.

The last thing he has left to do is win a Natty. The odds of doing that are far greater at UCLA than Tennessee.

UCLA is one of the jobs you listen to.

If he stays, we should be ranked in the Top 10 heading to next season (if Grant stays). Even if Grant leaves, we will be Top 15-20.

If Grant and Bone are gone (if) Tennessee would be left with 1 starter. Not sure Tennessee would be anywhere near the top 15-20..........preseason. Sure they could work there way there......but I don’t think it would be a given.

VN Store

Back