What if Rick Barnes stays? (Let's go another direction)

Volunteer08

While I don't think Rick Barnes spurning us for UCLA would make as many waves, I do think if he stays it's a statement. Turning down a UCLA job to stay at UT would be huge. It would provide stability in the program, keep Josiah James on board and probably even attract more recruits.

We may not be a top 10 team all season next year, but we still bring back Turner, Bowden, Johnson, Fulkerson and Pons. Johnson, Fulkerson and Pons showed some promise in their limited roles this year. We also add a 5 star recruit and we've not seen DJ Burns or a legitimate showing from Derrick Walker. That's a top 30 team with Rick Barnes coaching them. I wouldn't bet on it, but there's a possibility Bone returns.

I like the team above - you have to like our guards and the possibility of a significant increase in 3pt %.

I think the program's benefit would be compounded if Rick stays! I would say 10 fold, easy.

Then we have a shot at Grant/Barnes returning and we can look forward to making the tourney next year.

Anyone shocked at Fulmer being fully invested in the football program is prolly insane.

I'm more shocked that at age 64, Barnes needs to feel attention and love.

Then we have a shot at Grant/Barnes returning and we can look forward to making the tourney next year.

Anyone shocked at Fulmer being fully invested in the football program is prolly insane.

I'm more shocked that at age 64, Barnes needs to feel attention and love.
Saban is older and is worse.

Reactions: Smokeyman
I dont know at this point it feels like a rejected marriage proposal, there's no coming back from that. It's out there, he has no agent so he himself is handling things with UCLA. I dont think this can be mended

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Just making stuff up again I see....

Who's making stuff up? Its widely known that Fulmer is fully invested in the football program getting turned around and that Barnes hasn't gotten the salary pool increases he wanted for his staff. The fact he is listening to UCLA means he feels slighted and didn't get the attention he wanted....
Not sure how that is making stuff up. And I hardly make anything up.... Nice contribution to this discussion tho

Just making stuff up again I see....
Not exactly. Remember when he almost took the Texas job after winning that second title? Part of the reason he was looking at Texas (other than the money, which Alabama would have matched anyway) is that he reportedly felt underappreciated at Alabama; the boosters, admin, and fans just didn't realize how hard it is to achieve what he had achieved. He got back to Tuscaloosa after the game and everyone was like "Hey coach, are we winning another one next year?"

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I dont know at this point it feels like a rejected marriage proposal, there's no coming back from that. It's out there, he has no agent so he himself is handling things with UCLA. I dont think this can be mended
Please remember that you are going 100% off of what you read from media members. Very dangerous.

UCLA is one of the jobs you listen to.

If he stays, we should be ranked in the Top 10 heading to next season (if Grant stays). Even if Grant leaves, we will be Top 15-20.

Who's making stuff up? Its widely known that Fulmer is fully invested in the football program getting turned around and that Barnes hasn't gotten the salary pool increases he wanted for his staff. The fact he is listening to UCLA means he feels slighted and didn't get the attention he wanted....
Not sure how that is making stuff up. And I hardly make anything up.... Nice contribution to this discussion tho

I have to agree with this. Fulmer even said that football is the driver of the university and that it was his top priority. However, he could have just stated that to pacify the football fans and the establishment. But, I don't see him having the acumen to actually run the athletic department like a true AD should.

While I don't think Rick Barnes spurning us for UCLA would make as many waves, I do think if he stays it's a statement. Turning down a UCLA job to stay at UT would be huge. It would provide stability in the program, keep Josiah James on board and probably even attract more recruits.

We may not be a top 10 team all season next year, but we still bring back Turner, Bowden, Johnson, Fulkerson and Pons. Johnson, Fulkerson and Pons showed some promise in their limited roles this year. We also add a 5 star recruit and we've not seen DJ Burns or a legitimate showing from Derrick Walker. That's a top 30 team with Rick Barnes coaching them. I wouldn't bet on it, but there's a possibility Bone returns.

I like the team above - you have to like our guards and the possibility of a significant increase in 3pt %.

I think the program's benefit would be compounded if Rick stays! I would say 10 fold, easy.
One thing, for sure, if he gets raise and stays, is that Barnes will be known, and thereby, UT known, as making a serious commitment to basketball. When we have one of the highest paid coaches in the country, it is known, and carries a little more leverage, in terms of respectability/recruiting...and for when Barnes retires, the next one up knows we'll pony up. On the flip side, IF we lose him for money reasons, it's not a good look, b/c in bball coaching fraternity, top shelf guys know who will pay and who won't...thereby putting us back into the SEC middle rungs of a football-centric school, which puts first emphasis on football...then everything else. At the end of the day, I expect we'll come out of this w/ Barnes...and a higher reputation of being committed to basketball.

Not really, nothing I say has any bearing on the outcome so it's not dangerous for me at all

I was more referencing forming your opinions based on the thoughts/feelings of media members. But if you want to take my quote literally then have at it.

I was more referencing forming your opinions based on the thoughts/feelings of media members. But if you want to take my quote literally then have at it.
They're more than feelings or opinions. There are some pretty big names out there saying Barnes is serious about UCLA. He doesn't have an agent, so he's flying solo here.

Can someone reply to this post and give me the quick synopsis why he left Texas/how we got him?

All of this is dumbfounding to me. He was at Texas for 17 years then came here, another football school.

I'm more of a football guy.

Thanks,

Can someone reply to this post and give me the quick synopsis why he left Texas/how we got him?

All of this is dumbfounding to me. He was at Texas for 17 years then came here, another football school.

I'm more of a football guy.

Thanks,

Barnes underachieved in the tournament at Texas and was not putting out a consistent product there despite high recruiting rankings.

Hart was willing to spend money to get Barnes here after he was fired by Texas plus it was a full blown rebuild so Barnes didn’t have pressure to win immediately the first couple years, so he could build his program his way

Barnes actually got in trouble for paying Oliver out of his own pocket.
However, I'm pretty sure that was before Fulmer was here. But yes, Fulmer has been spending like a mad man on Football assistants.

Reactions: Steven5198
I see a big drop next season if bone and Grant leave. Likely 2 years of very good recruiting to make the NCAAT again....and I'm talking immediate contributors not these projects Barnes is so fond of. I'm not sold on what remains of our roster sans bone and Grant.

I see a big drop next season if bone and Grant leave. Likely 2 years of very good recruiting to make the NCAAT again....and I'm talking immediate contributors not these projects Barnes is so fond of. I'm not sold on what remains of our roster sans bone and Grant.
Pieces/role players, not guys you build around. Like Bowden...nice player, he's needed, but you don't build an entire team around him.

Pieces/role players, not guys you build around. Like Bowden...nice player, he's needed, but you don't build an entire team around him.

Could've said the same for Bone last year and he was critical in our success this year. I don't completely disagree with you, but it's too early to tell. We have plenty of talent, I'll tell you that much.

In case it hasn't been posted, Hyams tweeted 34 minutes ago that he expects an announcement within the hour. It's 12:47. He tweeted at 12:10

Wonder if there's a chance that Barnes upset if he had Lanier's replacement on the hook and we wouldn't pony up?

Reactions: crazyguy
Wonder if there's a chance that Barnes upset if he had Lanier's replacement on the hook and we wouldn't pony up?

I read schwartz is being promoted so the going cheap argument doesn't apply just yet.

What? Some of y'all have acute BVS. When you program builds into a legit top 10 team, then everyone from 11-276 has either a small or large amount of envy concerning what you have.

When you succeed, people start coming after your coaches. THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO HAPPEN. Remember when other programs we're trying so hard to woo Buzz Peterson, Jerry Greene, and Wade Houston? Think @ it.

We don't really know crap @ this situation. Reporters and coaching searches should be really familiar around here. But, if CRB wants to listen to a blue blood tell him how many $$$ they'll throw at him, then he has every right. More power to him.

VN Store

Back