What if JG & Tua Switched Teams?

My thought is JG is tough, but he has a strong arm. He might break a finger or hand on an alabubba wr, on the other hand, Tua throws a beautiful pass, but would be running for his life behind our OL, so none of our receivers would be catching any more passes than they do now.

What if Keller and Tua traded? Keller would be number one on the Heisman list I tell ya!
;)

Alabama would be 11-1 regular season and and would probably lose to Clemson for the title. The Vols would probably finished 7-5 or 8-4 with Tau. Unfortunately, Bama has so much more going for them besides having an elite college QB.

Lol. We would be likely no better with Tua.

Guarantano has showed that he's tough (but he still holds on to the ball too long - just watch how Chryst gets rid of it when an LB is blitzing!) as he gets rushed and knocked down more than any other SEC QB. Tua has a future NFL line blocking for him and he rarely has to leave the pocket (& when he does, it's due to coverage rather an the OL breaking down).

I just wonder how good Tua would be if he played behind our OL and how good JG would be if he played behind Bama's.

NB: This isn't quite the fodder of a possible off-season thread ... but I'm close.
Hard to say because you really aren't making an apples to apples comparison.

A better comparison would be Drew Lock whose OL isn't terrific. He still makes good pre-reads and gets the ball out. By doing that, he makes D's pay for pressure.... which in turn impacts their willingness to apply pressure.

The pressure JG is getting is because of his weaknesses and because it is effective. Until he shows he can make good pre and post snap reads consistently enough to make teams pay, he's going to take a lot of hits. IMO, that would be true even if he played behind a good to above average OL.

Maybe worse, the hits appear to be getting into JG's head. His accuracy isn't as good as it was. He's pretty obviously giving up on plays and throwing to check downs for minimal gains while missing open receivers down field.

Bottom line is that the OL is bad but JG hasn't helped himself either.

Guarantano has showed that he's tough (but he still holds on to the ball too long - just watch how Chryst gets rid of it when an LB is blitzing!) as he gets rushed and knocked down more than any other SEC QB. Tua has a future NFL line blocking for him and he rarely has to leave the pocket (& when he does, it's due to coverage rather an the OL breaking down).

I just wonder how good Tua would be if he played behind our OL and how good JG would be if he played behind Bama's.

NB: This isn't quite the fodder of a possible off-season thread ... but I'm close.
GA would win the SEC.

JG wouldn't see the field in your scenario because he couldn't beat out Jalen Hurts.....

A better question is "What would Bama's record and UT's record be if they switched head coaches? I think Bama would be undefeated and UT would be 6-3 (victories over UF and USCe). I'm a Pruitt fan, but I really want to be able to put a "W" in the column and say it's prolly 80% coaches (scheme, conditioning, game day mgmt, etc.)

Every UT fan would be screaming that aria is garbage and wondered if Hurts will be transferring to UT to save us. Oh...and also screaming for Chryst to finish the season.

Hard to say because you really aren't making an apples to apples comparison.

A better comparison would be Drew Lock whose OL isn't terrific. He still makes good pre-reads and gets the ball out. By doing that, he makes D's pay for pressure.... which in turn impacts their willingness to apply pressure.

The pressure JG is getting is because of his weaknesses and because it is effective. Until he shows he can make good pre and post snap reads consistently enough to make teams pay, he's going to take a lot of hits. IMO, that would be true even if he played behind a good to above average OL.

Maybe worse, the hits appear to be getting into JG's head. His accuracy isn't as good as it was. He's pretty obviously giving up on plays and throwing to check downs for minimal gains while missing open receivers down field.

Bottom line is that the OL is bad but JG hasn't helped himself either.
Good take

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Tua’s bum knee would have been blown out and he’d be on the sideline. We’d have the same record.
JG would look much better and Bama would still be undefeated. Might lose in the playoffs.

SMDH......ridiculous.... Hurts led BAMA to within 1 play of a NC.....

JG is a better passer. Think about behind Bamas OL with all those play makers. You rarely have to worry about the defense living in your face every single play. You have a dominant OL and RB corps that keeps the defense honest. You have elite WRs and TEs that CATCH virtually everything including the 50/50 balls. Plus you have an elite defense. Just stop. JG would be as accomplished as Hurts and would have bettef passing numbers.

You are basing everything on JG because he is playing with our garbage team.

VN Store

Back